Carbon ceramic brake?

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
I know the stock brake is great already and I love it. But I just can't stop think if it's good idea to get carbon ceramic brakes regardless of the cost? This car is my daily. I don't do the hardcore track maybe just several times a year and I know I'm not a race car driver and won't push the car anywhere close to it's limit anyway.
I found Wilwood does has the kit for pre 2014 mustang and the rotor size is 340mm with 6 piston calipers front. So I assume it won't fit our GT350 right? If smaller brake works it may even possible to swap into 18 inch wheels just like the GT4 version but the race car must be much lighter than doesn't require that massive rotor? Based on my experience with my last car that 19 inch HRE R101 would clear the 15.5 inch brake easily and weigh under 20lb.
Just some random thought and I love how clean the ceramic brakes compare to horrible brake dust on our car so I almost wash my wheels everyday after driving.:frusty:

82666d1470327592-09-maserati-granturismo-s-file_000.jpg
Sponsored

mattlqx

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'22 Mach 1, '16 F-150, '14 Fiesta ST, '14 Audi A7
Do they really dust less? I thought the only point of carbon ceramics was that they didn't fade. Regardless, the price tag is horrendous. That'd be like a $10k swap out.

OP
OP
zzj

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
Do they really dust less? I thought the only point of carbon ceramics was that they didn't fade. Regardless, the price tag is horrendous. That'd be like a $10k swap out.
I think that is the case for the 911 turbo S PCCB although they will have small cracks after hardcore trackdays.
I think the weight of one front rotor is 30+lb and if swap to carbon ceramic rotor it would save more than 50% of the weight.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Few weeks back someone had mentioned they knew a vendor that was looking to make some Carbon Ceramic brakes.

I would purchase them if they did come out. IMO it should have at least an option for the R's

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
The engineers at the track tour touched on the subject. The added cost for the marginal increase in braking power was not worth it. The carbon ceramics also weren't as good for everyday driving, wear,and initial bite if I recall correctly. As most every review article has stated the brakes on the 350 are phenomenal as far as initial bite and no fade.

Unless you have had your car on track and really experienced the brakes capabilities you can not appreciate them. Once you are able to threshold brake and heel-toe downshift this car you will realize the need for carbon ceramics does not exist. You are better off getting a stickier tire to increase your braking ability, and overall vehicle performance

Being that you don't plan to track it hard, I don't see the point in investing in carbon ceramic brakes. The only true place they would make a difference is on the track. Save your money.

Sponsored

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
In a nutshell, this...

Being that you don't plan to track it hard, I don't see the point in investing in carbon ceramic brakes. The only true place they would make a difference is on the track. Save your money.

39Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby Terlingua
Just say NO... Ceramic brakes are good for racing and not for every day drivers. Unless you are tracking your car Ceramic brakes are overkill and not ideal for the street due to their upkeep and cost. Wilwood, Baer, Brembo are plenty enough

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
A lot of the Porsche track guys with PCCBs have regretted ticking that option box for various reasons:

- The rotors are very brittle, and simple things like tire changes become an ordeal ensuring that the rotor is not touched.
- Rotors don't last as long as advertised. Real track rats thought they'd save money never needing to replace rotors. In reality, the rotors do wear and need replacement.
- Daily performance is no better and sometime worse than steel. Track performance improvement isn't commensurate with cost.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Carbon ceramics have very high tolerances but low functional bandwidth. As a DD car? Terrible idea, especially a kit that wasn't engineered for the vehicle. The only carbon ceramic setups I'd ever trust are systems that initially came on the car from the factory.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I was looking at that at the store and was skeptical. Now I might have to pick some up or something similar for sure :thumbsup:
It does work, just need to have time after cleaning to lay it on pretty good then let it dry and lightly wipe off the residue.

OP
OP
zzj

zzj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zac
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 H1828
You guys are right about this and I totally agree.

I'm thinking the big weight saving for the unsprung weight would be very noticeable for the handling improvement. I'm not thinking to improve the brake performance or track capability since I doubt I would ever reach the limit of this car even with iron rotors. I'm certainly aware of the cost and let's just assume the cost is not an issue for this case. Actually, I know more people track their Porsche, Ferrari etc and replace their carbon ceramic rotors with iron rotors for the track days.
I just wish someone can provide carbon ceramic brakes so I can at least give it a try. If it was bad I can always switch them back to stock. Plus, they looks cool!

alevine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Porsche GT3, '15 BMW M3, '17 GT350R, '05 997
I have carbon ceramics on my 991 GT3. This is my third Porsche with PCCB's. Overall they are amazing and worth every penny to me. However there are some downsides, most of which are noted above. If the car will be tracked they are very expensive to replace. On the GT3 for example I was quoted over $15k to replace all 4! Most guys that order PCCB's take them off and replace them with steel rotors for track use. PCCB's do tend to last longer and have much less fade compared to steel rotors, especially for heavy spirited street use. One thing I LOVE about them is there is zero brake dust! I literally only wash the Porsche 4 times per year. Granted it is not driven in the rain and is parked indoors so I just use a California Duster and some detail spray but having no brake dust keeps the car that much cleaner. It should be noted however that when PCCB's do get wet they can be downright scary! Their stopping power declines considerably until they get real warm. Lastly, PCCB's do tend to squeak and squeal. Would I put them on my GT350R? No, not a chance as I plan to track the R and the cost alone will make them unenjoyable for me. Hope this helps.

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350