Sponsored

Can you weld broken CV fab race intercooler?

702newDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium non PP
Hello everyone, long story short I bought a cvf race intercooler through eBay and received it with a hole on one of the end tanks. I got my money back and was able to keep the intercooler so now I’m in the dilema of either trying to find someone who can weld it back together or tossing it.

From what I’ve been able to find it’a made from cast aluminum but correct me if I’m wrong. I don’t know the grade of aluminum they use.

Given it’s an intercooler taking what I assume as a good amount of force from the air,if it were possible to repair how likely would you think it would be to break from the force of the air? I got quoted $175 for repair so if consensus agrees that it’s plausible to weld and keep hold then I nab myself intercooler for cheap

530DEC15-4A6B-42EE-8309-6A7D21AD86F7.jpeg

269743DE-BD8D-4C8F-8F2C-7BED4B18F2E5.jpeg

73D7DBD8-798E-40E4-AC30-968610250BE9.jpeg

05653D03-1192-4CB4-A6CF-B64BA5F76E24.jpeg
Sponsored

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You'd have it for $175.00 instead of $530.00, so what do you have to lose?

Get it repaired and see what happens.

And FYI, it's "boost pressures" or "PSIs" not "force of the air".

compprep

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP1, 86 SVO, 24 S5, 74 MGB GT
What KingKona said.

OP
OP
702newDriver

702newDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
For sure, thank you for your input and for the correct terminology. You’re right the $175 is low enough to gamble on the repair.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
To play devils advocate, I'm not sure that I'd trust any repair in the area of a mounting bracket. It's pretty obvious that it's a weak point in a new, unmolested part, how will welding affect that area? And what damage to the engine is possible if it fails when under boost?
Not saying any of that will happen but is the chance of saving $350 worth risking paying $700 and maybe damaging the engine?

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Any competent welder can take care of that no problem. $80 tops.

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
To play devils advocate, I'm not sure that I'd trust any repair in the area of a mounting bracket. It's pretty obvious that it's a weak point in a new, unmolested part, how will welding affect that area? And what damage to the engine is possible if it fails when under boost?
Not saying any of that will happen but is the chance of saving $350 worth risking paying $700 and maybe damaging the engine?
A proper weld is stronger than the material it fixed.

There is 0 chance of damaging anything else if it breaks, it would just be an inconvenience.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Aside from actual rod/stick welding, JB Weld that sucker.... you'd be surprised at what JB Weld can fix - and yes, it can be as strong as welding rods/sticks... Also JB Weld has a variety of products now, not just for a single type of metal.

Just a suggestion if you're looking to save $$$... besides, you're already on the winning side because you did get your refund but also were able to keep the unit...

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Aside from actual rod/stick welding, JB Weld that sucker.... you'd be surprised at what JB Weld can fix - and yes, it can be as strong as welding rods/sticks... Also JB Weld has a variety of products now, not just for a single type of metal.

Just a suggestion if you're looking to save $$$... besides, you're already on the winning side because you did get your refund but also were able to keep the unit...
TIG....

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I've fixed lots of stuff with JB weld.

Any competent welding shop can fix that piece.

AZlb5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlos
Vehicle(s)
18 GT Premium
I had to repair a wiper arm once on an Audi suv. It snapped down where it connected to the motor. Used JB weld and it was easy peasy, never had an issue with it again.

OP
OP
702newDriver

702newDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for everyone's input. Spoke to the shop manager and he said the lady who gave me bad information over the phone and underquoted me severely.

The shop manager said he would be able to do it in about 3 hours at a rate of $140hr but would just do it for $350 for the underquote.

He also told me there's a 50/50 shot of the weld taking hold. Given the new increased cost, I'll probably try the JB weld since it's on that mountain bracket area. Thankfully the shop manager also told me that since the cost to repair is almost the cost of a new intercooler I should give JB weld a shot to save money as he's seen it work to hold a car together to drive.

Any tips for prepping the metal surface for the JB weld?

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
Thanks for everyone's input. Spoke to the shop manager and he said the lady who gave me bad information over the phone and underquoted me severely.

The shop manager said he would be able to do it in about 3 hours at a rate of $140hr but would just do it for $350 for the underquote.

He also told me there's a 50/50 shot of the weld taking hold. Given the new increased cost, I'll probably try the JB weld since it's on that mountain bracket area. Thankfully the shop manager also told me that since the cost to repair is almost the cost of a new intercooler I should give JB weld a shot to save money as he's seen it work to hold a car together to drive.

Any tips for prepping the metal surface for the JB weld?
Go to a different shop.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I just re-looked at the photos. The piece is cast aluminum. I'm no welding expert but I think it might be like cast Iron to weld properly.
Sponsored