5.2 liters of democracy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2017 Avalanche Gray GT350
I see xD

Would you risk your neck for a voodoo engine with 35,000mi and no track driving in the future?
What's life without a little risk, right? There shouldn't be any issue without any track driving. Even occasional track time should be fine.

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
Well I have owned 2 GT350s over the years. I have been without one for a couple years. We were down to just a 2022 Mach 1 auto which my wife drove. I have a darkhorse on order since March. Was 1st on list at the dealership. I have been bypassed on my order because of handling pack and appearance pack issues. No parts. Now they have parts but no allocation active so I sit and wait and wait and wait. It’s also priced out at 73k. That’s a lot of coin for a car with less hp than the GT350 and one that is quite a bit heavier. I heard the weight with the recent embargo lifting and was shocked. The GT500 got fat with all the extra cooling and supercharger components. I didn’t like that either. Added weight just means more to try and haul around the corners on track. We sold the Mach 1 preparing for getting the darkhorse ( just don’t want 4 vehicles between us to deal with winter and summer. Been there.) I did some looking this past weekend and now I’m pulling the trigger on a 2017 GT350 with just 3100 miles on it. Getting it on Saturday. Canceling the darkhorse.

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I did some looking this past weekend and now I’m pulling the trigger on a 2017 GT350 with just 3100 miles on it. Getting it on Saturday. Canceling the darkhorse.
You have made the wise decision:

Chose wisely my friend.
I strongly encourage enjoying the GT350 to the fullest…. You only live once!

Last edited:

Sponsored

RRazor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
I make no claims insofar as being an engineer, or having even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but from what I've learned in my 33 years of being involved with, working on, drag racing, and (admittedly very little) road course racing Mustangs is this: They will all break at some point, not a single one has ever been made that is perfect.

One other thing I've learned is that people who own lower level trim models tend to be more inclined to bash on the higher trim level models more often than not, probably a sour grapes thing, who knows.

If you believe the internet, your 5.2 Voodoo will, while you're tucked away in bed at night and it's supposed to be parked safely in its garage, actually be out vandalizing churches and kicking puppies.

If you believe the die hard Voodoo defenders, it will last 300,000 miles and never give you any trouble at all.

The truth is obviously somewhere in between, and likely lies far closer to the defender point of view than the haters.......treat it right, maintain it, drive it and enjoy it and it will serve you faithfully.....don't and expect to pay a GT350 tax on all of your repair bills.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
If you believe the internet, your 5.2 Voodoo will, while you're tucked away in bed at night and it's supposed to be parked safely in its garage, actually be out vandalizing churches and kicking puppies.
OMG I just spit water all over my iPad reading that😂. Well played.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I make no claims insofar as being an engineer, or having even stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but from what I've learned in my 33 years of being involved with, working on, drag racing, and (admittedly very little) road course racing Mustangs is this: They will all break at some point, not a single one has ever been made that is perfect.

One other thing I've learned is that people who own lower level trim models tend to be more inclined to bash on the higher trim level models more often than not, probably a sour grapes thing, who knows.

If you believe the die hard Voodoo defenders, it will last 300,000 miles and never give you any trouble at all.

The truth is obviously somewhere in between, and likely lies far closer to the defender point of view than the haters.......treat it right, maintain it, drive it and enjoy it and it will serve you faithfully.....don't and expect to pay a GT350 tax on all of your repair bills.
Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself, and, trust me, I've tried.

There is a weird phenomenon around the newer Ford (not FP) cars like the Mach 1 and GT PP's. I've come to the conclusion that Ford dealership commissioned sales reps are pitching these cars as better, or if not better, then at least equal to the GT350/R's. I've seen posts here - in the GT350 section - talking about how these non-FP cars are superior to the GT350 - better engine, same handling, that kind of thing.

The other day, I was checking out Porsche lap times at the Nurburgring and I found them alongside GT350/R times. To my surprise and delight, the 911 GT3RS in 2016 was about a second faster than a GT350R. Both were around 7:30 or so. Both the 911 GT3RS and the GT350R were about 30 seconds faster in 2016 than the much newer Mach 1, which was a second or two below 8:00. Heck, even the S197 2013/14 GT500 was faster than the Mach 1 at 7:38 or so.

So, there you have it. Ford makes nice cars, and FP makes fast cars. Regardless of the sales pitch, they're not the same.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself, and, trust me, I've tried.

There is a weird phenomenon around the newer Ford (not FP) cars like the Mach 1 and GT PP's. I've come to the conclusion that Ford dealership commissioned sales reps are pitching these cars as better, or if not better, then at least equal to the GT350/R's. I've seen posts here - in the GT350 section - talking about how these non-FP cars are superior to the GT350 - better engine, same handling, that kind of thing.

The other day, I was checking out Porsche lap times at the Nurburgring and I found them alongside GT350/R times. To my surprise and delight, the 911 GT3RS in 2016 was about a second faster than a GT350R. Both were around 7:30 or so. Both the 911 GT3RS and the GT350R were about 30 seconds faster in 2016 than the much newer Mach 1, which was a second or two below 8:00. Heck, even the S197 2013/14 GT500 was faster than the Mach 1 at 7:38 or so.

So, there you have it. Ford makes nice cars, and FP makes fast cars. Regardless of the sales pitch, they're not the same.
I'm no track expert but I wonder if the longer Nurburgring track played more to the Voodoo's strengths than the Mach 1's, and of course being an owner I probably have a little bias towards the Mach. Like with any data, it's easy to cherry pick facts that support one position or another...

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38966053/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-lightning-lap/

Sponsored

guzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350, 2019 Mustang GT
I'm no track expert but I wonder if the longer Nurburgring track played more to the Voodoo's strengths than the Mach 1's, and of course being an owner I probably have a little bias towards the Mach. Like with any data, it's easy to cherry pick facts that support one position or another...

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a38966053/2021-ford-mustang-mach-1-lightning-lap/
There are quite a few tracks that factor in the HP advantage of the GT350. There are actually less tracks out there where the Mach 1 can match the GT350. It’s a cherry pick to find o track run where the Mach 1 just matches a GT350 and that is just barely matching. It would be a short track with no longer straights. The Mach 1 doesn’t beat the GT350. It barely catches it on a short run track and that’s the one that gets held up as “see, I told you my Mach 1 or GT PP car is better than your halo car GT350”. The Mach 1 borrows from GT350 parts bin, runs a less powerful motor and uses the same platform. It brings nothing new to the game. I have owned both and the GT350 is still the better track car. The Mach 1 is a better stop light racer with initial torque down low.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer

The only thing I dont like about lap times on different days different times-

We dont know

The outside temperature
Did it rain the day before and wash all the rubber off the track
Was the track repaved?
Better driver?

Im by no means any kind of a professional driver - Im just regurgitating crap I learned from watching F1 - but I would think some would apply to comparing times between our cars as well

So if someone here who actually tracks their cars says Im full of crap- I wont argue with you

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
There are quite a few tracks that factor in the HP advantage of the GT350. There are actually less tracks out there where the Mach 1 can match the GT350. It’s a cherry pick to find o track run where the Mach 1 just matches a GT350 and that is just barely matching. It would be a short track with no longer straights. The Mach 1 doesn’t beat the GT350. It barely catches it on a short run track and that’s the one that gets held up as “see, I told you my Mach 1 or GT PP car is better than your halo car GT350”. The Mach 1 borrows from GT350 parts bin, runs a less powerful motor and uses the same platform. It brings nothing new to the game. I have owned both and the GT350 is still the better track car. The Mach 1 is a better stop light racer with initial torque down low.
The only thing I dont like about lap times on different days different times-

We dont know

The outside temperature
Did it rain the day before and wash all the rubber off the track
Was the track repaved?
Better driver?

Im by no means any kind of a professional driver - Im just regurgitating crap I learned from watching F1 - but I would think some would apply to comparing times between our cars as well

So if someone here who actually tracks their cars says Im full of crap- I wont argue with you
I think my post didn’t come off as intended… was more going for the any-given-track thought, kind of like how dyno numbers give an independent snapshot that probably isn’t completely accurate for all applications. My bad.

UpACurb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brent
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R 2019 Roush F150 20 Explorer
I think my post didn’t come off as intended… was more going for the any-given-track thought, kind of like how dyno numbers give an independent snapshot that probably isn’t completely accurate for all applications. My bad.
I think I got what you were saying - I dont think the Nurenburg times you were disputing is a fair and accurate way to measure both cars just like I dont think the Lightning Lap one is either - I agree 10000% with what you are saying- just like dyno numbers

Blue 350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 350, 2019 Subaru Forester, 1971 Chevelle
Its a testament to the engineering and capabilities of the GT 350 that nearly 4 years after production it's still the standard that a proper performance Mustang is judged.
Sponsored