Sponsored

Bullitt S550 Mustang Leaked in Video?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
The Bullitt represents a stripped down and hot rodded Mustang. I expect the new Bullitt Mustang will have Ford Performance suspension parts, a 3.73 rear gear, more horsepower than the Mustang GT, and weigh less than the Mustang GT.
Potentially...

In the '18 list of GT upgrades, the stock suspension was said to be equivalent to the current '15-'17 performance pack, so it would be a good base on which to start. Regarding the rear differential, it will be interesting to see if the existing 3.73 Torsen rear is kept exclusive to the Performance Pack or make it's way underneath, similar to the 3.73 rear from the last generation GT500KR going on the '08/'09. As far as weighing less, I think there might be more mass because of the improved lateral rear stiffness mentioned in the specs. Of course, if more options are available, that would contribute to a higher weight.

It looks like Ford will have something that will be a competitor to the Camaro 1le.
Possibly...if the Michelin tires make their way on the car.

Ideally, I'd have an '18 Bullitt configuration look like this -

'18 Premium GT w/6-speed manual
green ONLY (not that black looks bad)
3.55 rear gear with standard GT suspension
19" wheels w/all-season tires on non-staggered wheels
Bullitt serial number badge on the dashboard
engine turn finish on the instrument panel surround
analog gauges
standard Sync infotainment
standard active valve variable exhaust system with unique "Bullitt sound" quad mufflers

optional (any combination)
summer performance tires
10-speed automatic
Magnaride
digital dash cluster
driver assist features (collision detection, etc.)
upgraded stereo w/Sync

That's it!
Sponsored

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
Anyone think dealerships will tack on a significant mark up on these? What did the previous versions go for compared to GT's?

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
Anyone think dealerships will tack on a significant mark up on these? What did the previous versions go for compared to GT's?
Curious as well. Did dealerships put a markup on previous Bullitt editions? Is the Bullitt SE similar to, say, the Dodge Challenger blacktop edition where it has a specific build code associated with it?

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The Bullitt option added about $3000+ to each of the '01 and '08/'09 GTs. Back in '01, most dealers didn't know what it was. In '08/'09, there was more awareness, so dealers I saw locally were at MSRP to start when they first came out, and some wanted $1000-$3000 above.

Unless the engine is something that is really different than the base 5.0L (like a 5.2L), then I expect things not get too crazy on markups. Depending on how limited these are and their feature content, too much markup on the price would likely result in cars sitting on the floor. Like others have speculated, I think this car will price out somewhere north of $40,000.

Sponsored

sknapp302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 C5 Z06
OK, I admit that I am becoming a bit obsessed with all these secret messages Ford is giving us. If the licenses plate says 542, and its a reference to HP, I think we are in for a ecoboost V6 in the Mustang. The GT350 Voodoo engine was reportedly meant to be exclusive to the GT350 Mustang and I think this rules out the FPC 5.2 engine being in the Bullitt Mustang. A 5.0 CPC will not make 542 HP NA or boosted. Therefore, a detuned version of the EB 3.5 from the Ford GT is the next best bet to hit the 542 HP mark. Ford has been trying to get its customers to sway from the V8 mentality, this might be there next attempt to get Ford loyalists to accept something smaller that the iconic V8.

xjester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Prem w/PP
The Bullitt option added about $3000+ to each of the '01 and '08/'09 GTs. Back in '01, most dealers didn't know what it was. In '08/'09, there was more awareness, so dealers I saw locally were at MSRP to start when they first came out, and some wanted $1000-$3000 above.

Unless the engine is something that is really different than the base 5.0L (like a 5.2L), then I expect things not get too crazy on markups. Depending on how limited these are and their feature content, too much markup on the price would likely result in cars sitting on the floor. Like other have speculated, I think this car will price out somewhere north of $40,000.
I hope you are right. After the RS and GT350 sticker shock, I really hope these dealerships give that crap a rest.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, I admit that I am becoming a bit obsessed with all these secret messages Ford is giving us. If the licenses plate says 542, and its a reference to HP, I think we are in for a ecoboost V6 in the Mustang. The GT350 Voodoo engine was reportedly meant to be exclusive to the GT350 Mustang and I think this rules out the FPC 5.2 engine being in the Bullitt Mustang. A 5.0 CPC will not make 542 HP NA or boosted. Therefore, a detuned version of the EB 3.5 from the Ford GT is the next best bet to hit the 542 HP mark. Ford has been trying to get its customers to sway from the V8 mentality, this might be there next attempt to get Ford loyalists to accept something smaller that the iconic V8.
With the 5.0L changes that have just been made and the fact that the 4th and 5th gen Bullitts were based on the GT, I don't think we would see an EcoBoost engine. It would flop because of what this feature car's lineage has been.

The Bullitt wasn't all about huge horsepower increases over the GT.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
You're not going to see an Ecoboost V6 in any S550.......although it may well come for S650.

We don't even know the new Coyote specs yet, but this Bullitt will likely see an extra 20-30hp over whatever the stock GT gets. It'd be cool if it had a cross plane crank version of the 5.2 but I suspect it'll be a tweaked 3rd gen Coyote (assuming 1st gen = 412/420hp S197, 2nd gen = 435 S550)

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Ok it must be the 01 I'm thinking of then, which had the stock 260 hp of the GT or maybe it was 265. I remember at the time being disappointed they stripped away most of the GT visual elements, threw on the wheels, painted it green and called it a day.

Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok it must be the 01 I'm thinking of then, which had the stock 260 hp of the GT or maybe it was 265. I remember at the time being disappointed they stripped away most of the GT visual elements, threw on the wheels, painted it green and called it a day.
It was a little more than that :-) It was rated at 265hp but it was a reworked engine, the suspension was returned for improved handling, and the visual elements of the GT were stripped because that is the aesthetic of the style of the '68 fastback in the movie. They could have stripped the big fake hood scoop and even made it more in keeping with the movie car.

That the car went from a concept to a production vehicle in 14 months and had the content it did (redone seats, subtle trim pieces, distinctive sounding mufflers, the engine changes, the suspension changes, serialization) is an amazing feat to me.

2001 Bullitt Mustang - more than meets the eye :-)

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
It was a little more than that :-) It was rated at 265hp but it was a reworked engine, the suspension was returned for improved handling, and the visual elements of the GT were stripped because that is the aesthetic of the style of the '68 fastback in the movie. They could have stripped the big fake hood scoop and even made it more in keeping with the movie car.

That the car went from a concept to a production vehicle in 14 months and had the content it did (redone seats, subtle trim pieces, distinctive sounding mufflers, the engine changes, the suspension changes, serialization) is an amazing feat to me.

2001 Bullitt Mustang - more than meets the eye :-)

Yes I realize the bullitt is known for the stripped oook. I guess when it was coupled with only 5 more hp and to me mostly unquantifiable "upgrades" I found it underwhelming. Remember this was the time when the Camaro had way more power and had for a decade so I was like wtf when they announced this special mustang that really wasn't any faster than the GT which was already a dog compared to the comp, just my opinion.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
As a previous owner of both previous iterations of Bullitt, I'm still not sure how the S550 body style will support a new version. Not enough retro to pull it off, IMO.

That said, I'd still like to see it come to light, just because. But I'm not sure if I'll bite. To me the '08-'09 was awesome and the best representation, just under-powered. If the Coyote would have been under the hood, I probably would have kept my '09 forever.

AMChief5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chief
Vehicle(s)
2017 Black GT Premium w/ PP
It's about time for a SE Mustang. Being that Bullitt will be 50 years young for 2018 MY makes the timing of a new Bullitt SE PERFECT!
Sponsored