Sponsored

Broken MT82 at 12k Miles – Stranded 500 Miles from Home

Armo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ui
I have been really enjoying my new mustang. Previously I owned 2011 S197 5.0 and it was so reliable and a blast to drive! I liked it so much I bought the new S550 when it came out – same color same GT package :D

I’m currently on a road trip and my transmission had an issue on the highway. I upshifted into 5th and the transmission grinded. I had the clutch depressed yet it still made a terrible sound when going into 5th. I then tried to upshift again but it did not want to go into 6th – or any other gear. I did not force it into gear and it did not make any noises when trying to shift. I slowed and was finally able to shift into 4th. Soon after there was a grinding and whirling sound. It is most noticeable under engine braking, especially in lower gears 1-4. There is also a noticeable noise when in neutral with the clutch engaged (off the pedal). It sounds like a seized or broken bearing trying to spin.

Currently my car is sitting in a dealership. My service advisor has been very communicative. The car was driven by a tech and there is a problem. They now need to pull the transmission to see what the issue is. However he is unable to schedule my car to be fixed. He has stated that the next opening for transmission work would be in November! :shocked: My SA will talk to the service manager in the morning but it doesn’t look good.

I didn’t anticipate being stuck in this town until November! :tsk: What a crap road trip:rant:.

Anyone have similar issues with their MT82 transmission? Problems dealing with scheduling maintenance at a dealership? Experience with a terrible road trip?

I’m bored and stranded **sigh**

Check out this video of my angry transmission:
[ame]
Sponsored

Joextee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO S550 GT PP
Wow that sounds awful! I hope they get it fixed up for you. If they can't get it in until November are they gonna give you a loaner vehicle?

What city are you stuck in?

BBB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Premium GT Poverty Snack
could you let us know how your driving patterns are

are you taking that thing to the track every month or is it your daily

just curious for my own sake

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
not having the transmission to do the work is one thing but to be told november to even start??? what?

Reactions: 113

Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Yea like he is going to tell us that with ford service reps on this site lol!!!!!.

Ryubb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Base
depending on state, lemon law if over 30 days to repair, then you can get or return the current car. I would check with your states laws.

OP
OP

Armo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ui
Wow that sounds awful! I hope they get it fixed up for you. If they can't get it in until November are they gonna give you a loaner vehicle?

What city are you stuck in?
Thanks Joextee.

Ford does not provide a loaner. It wouldn't be much help cause I don't want to leave my car here and I wanted to continue my trip :)

I'd rather not say what city I'm until this gets resolved. Hopefully once my SA talks to his manager tomorrow and we can get my car fixed and I'll be out of here.

73MachI

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT M6 PP ESP Magnetic
Keep us posted dude. That really sucks. In ten years, I hope that you will be able to look back on it as a road trip adventure.

And FWIW, you could be me. So I'm very interested in how this goes and your resolution. Worst comes to worst, you may have to tow it to a city with a Ford dealer that is willing to pull the tranny? November - get serious!

OP
OP

Armo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ui
could you let us know how your driving patterns are

are you taking that thing to the track every month or is it your daily

just curious for my own sake
IMHO I drive fairly conservatively. But it is a GT and loves WOT :headbang:

That being said I have never used the LC or burnout modes. Never power shifted and I take great care of her.

Also it's a daily driver and has no modifications.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Armo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ui
Keep us posted dude. That really sucks. In ten years, I hope that you will be able to look back on it as a road trip adventure.

And FWIW, you could be me. So I'm very interested in how this goes and your resolution. Worst comes to worst, you may have to tow it to a city with a Ford dealer that is willing to pull the tranny? November - get serious!
Thanks. Hopefully - What's a road trip without a few unexpected detours :)

That's a good suggestion. I know Ford will offer to tow your car to the nearest dealer. I'll have to follow up and see if that is a possibility. Hopefully they don't just tow it around the block and back to the same dealer :headbonk:

JasinEdward

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0 Roush Stage 1
If you are under warranty they should put you in a rental..... My 2013 Fusion had a fuel fill inlet issue.... warrantied and got 4 rentals b4 they finally fixed it. My 2014 5.0 had a noisy rearend they replaced 2 gearsets and 1 housing.... Got 2 rentals that time.... Bought my 2015 with a Roush supercharger and having issues for 3 weeks..... in a rental the whole time...

Dawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT convertible
Contrary to what the fanbois and Kewlaid drinkers say about the MT82, it's Chinese junk.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
Good luck OP, keep us updated. It sure as hell should not take until Nov.

AmaziN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Premium
they should be able to at least provide you with a rental, that sux. Looks like you're way out in the boonies, Breaking Bad territory lol.
Sponsored