Broken down

Banditvox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Mustang GT
Has anyone installed the FORD MUSTANG GT OIL COOLER KIT, 2015+ by Mishimoto?
I was wondering if its worth the replacement.

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Has anyone installed the FORD MUSTANG GT OIL COOLER KIT, 2015+ by Mishimoto?
I was wondering if its worth the replacement.
Yes Ben @anubus (probably got the username wrong :lol: Ben Snape on Facebook) has just had his done. There is a extra bracket that is required I believe.

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
yes , we have an installed the kit for Ben

there are 3 ways the kits can be installed , dependant on what you are looking for and budget

only one completely removes the original Ford oil modine and this is what Ben has gone for

this required us to CNC machine a replacement plate for the OEM item , removing it entirely and returning the oil via a oil resistant high pressure hose

this method adds cost to the original Mishimoto kit because the kit does not cater for the position of the UK oil modine but does potentially solve the problem as seen here

cheers

Jason :D

Sponsored

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
I think its a pain to fit RHD, not an easy bolt on
its actually not too bad an install if done in a workshop , might be more tricky on the driveway but still doable

the basic kit will not solve the problem seen here though , it will only end up acting as the primary cooler but still leave the basic coolant cooled modine in place , if you want to solve the problem seen here you must remove the modine as well which requires additional parts and extra work !

cheers

Jason :D

Banditvox

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Mustang GT
So like the you tube video were they remove the factory oil cooler??
[ame]

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
No, that's the US car , if you have a US car then this would be the set up you use and you only need the basic kit

if you have a UK car the setup is different and you will need the additional adapter plate we have made , this will remove the oil modine and make the mishimoto kit standalone , I'm assuming the AUS car is the same as UK being RHD

the way to check is look in between the rear of the front wheel and the side skirt at the side of the engine , you should see an alloy coloured modeine with a hose going in and out (ill get a pic up shortly)

if you have one of those then your car is the same as the UK and will need the adapter plate and hose

cheers

Jason

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=20439]Jimboy2[/MENTION] he's [MENTION=24982]anubis[/MENTION] (Close, wrong vowel).

Honestly having followed JWR's stuff on MFUK they seem to know what they're talking about on this, and logically speaking this should fix the issue. Just a shame ford didn't put that kind of thought into things :lol:

djone101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
None
Vehicle(s)
None
Did anyone ever identify the new part number for the later cooler? I would have thought this would be the easy fix - it was evidently a part quality issue rather than a design issue.

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Did anyone ever identify the new part number for the later cooler? I would have thought this would be the easy fix - it was evidently a part quality issue rather than a design issue.
Agreed, unless of course mine fails again. The fact Ford have a TSB for certain months of manufacturer says they had a bad batch.

Which makes the situation worse as clearly Ford know this batch will fail at some point and a high percentage of them, yet Ford are happy to leave potentially dangerous cars on the road.

Visually my new oil cooler looked no different to my old one, as for part numbers I did not have any sorry.

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
so the TSB gives dates of effected cars.

Some 2016-2017 Mustang GT right hand drive vehicles equipped with a 5.0L twin independent variable cam timing (Ti-VCT) engine and built on or before 26-Jul-2016 may exhibit an internally and/or externally leaking engine oil cooler that may result in an overheating engine, engine noise, base engine damage along with an external oil leak.
Just looked up my manufacture date on etis ..... Build Date: 28.07.2016
Right on the cut off maybe I should pay more attention to my oil cooler too in case they still had one of the shit ones left over and I ended up with it :(

Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT
[MENTION=22410]GR11M[/MENTION] hope you get this sorted asap mate, without any hassle

so the TSB gives dates of effected cars.

Just looked up my manufacture date on etis ..... Build Date: 28.07.2016
Right on the cut off maybe I should pay more attention to my oil cooler too in case they still had one of the shit ones left over and I ended up with it :(
IIRC the TSB is only for US cars, no official one for UK yet? My car, along with a lot of others on here, was built before 28th July 2016 and I have heard nothing from Ford about replacing this part :confused:

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
the TSB is specifically for RHD cars though

JWR

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.j-w-racing.co.uk
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
S550 Magnetic Grey
the part number for the oil cooler is 1934879 , I cant see anything on the ford ecat suggesting this number is a supersession of a previous number

that's tells me that the part in question hasn't been wholly replaced but merely newer versions may now be in circulation

the lack of action from Ford suggests they believe it is ' not a big deal ' and they will replace the failed units as an when they occur rather than expecting the need for a wholesale recall of every V8 built in RHD

cheers

Jason
Sponsored