Blank Decklid anyone? (*MY18 STYLE*)

Nookie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 GT
That would be lovely. and we could get the hood and sloped fenders to match.
Or just drop a shipping container on the front end of your '15-'17 for the desired look (gonna get in trouble for this)!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Or just drop a shipping container on the front end of your '15-'17 for the desired look (gonna get in trouble for this)!
Oh fuck :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Supersolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
I wasn't sure whether to revive an old thread or post a new one?

Took delivery of my MY19 GT, earlier this month.
I had already decided to change-out the deck ld for the M-16600-MA, blank version.

There was a signficant compatability issue. The M-16600-MA has additional locators on the 'B' surface on the deck lid along the upper fixing flange.
Here;
M-16600-MA3_zpskvz9ke9x.jpg

Both sides.

The locators;
M-16600-MA1_zpsznowmis4.jpg

I've removed the locators in order to fit the deck lid, but was surprized to see this.

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
Slightly off topic but thought I’d pick up on the comment about the 15-17 deck lids being rubbish for panel gapping.

I was in the dealer, car had been in for some warranty work and the service manager pointed at the decklid and suggested to us it had been in a rear end impact of some sort and that was causing an issue with the warranty work they were doing. Now my decklid isn’t that bad, three of the four corners actually sit flush and the fourth corner is out a bit, but by a country mile it’s the best decklid I’ve ever seen on one. But, they’d been suggesting over the phone for a couple of weeks that the car had been in a shunt even to the point where they went and did an HPI report on the car and of course the HPI came back completely clear.

Despite that the service manager wasn’t having any of it and maintained his smug attitude, he thought that the slightly out decklid was conclusive proof the car had been in a rear end shunt of some sort and therefore they could justify their shoddy repair work under warranty. You bought a shoddy car so therefore why should we do a good a job on repairing it under warranty sort of attitude. So I took him into his own show room and pointed him at the decklid on 4 other brand new un-registered Mustangs, I stood back and smiled as I watched his face drop and he turned to give me a full apology and accepted that they had in fact carried out a substandard repair.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
I had a similar experience, but in reverse. I insisted the repair was shoddy and pointed out the mialigned panels. However, looked at the 'before photos' I'd taken though and it was even worse before, I just hadn't noticed. My turn to eat humble pie. I think, due to the design, it's actually impossible to align ALL the panels at the same time (certainly is on my car and all others I've seen), so you can't just make a few adjestments. I've noticed several areas on the cars where adjacent parts have different shapes, so can never fit properly.

Mine is going in to the garage again tomorrow due to boot misalignment, paint worn away where it touches the trim when you close the boot. Boot momentarily touches the trim and over time wears marks in the paint. Something for others to watch out for.

I prefer the clean decklid without the faux gas gap, but I'm sure if the UK cars were specified without the cap and the US version had them, I'd be ordering one and sticking it on. Grass is always greener and all that.

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is going in to the garage again tomorrow due to boot misalignment, paint worn away where it touches the trim when you close the boot. Boot momentarily touches the trim and over time wears marks in the paint. Something for others to watch out for.
Is this on the underside of the boot lid? I’ve noticed the underside corners of mine are rubbing...

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Is this on the underside of the boot lid? I’ve noticed the underside corners of mine are rubbing...
Yes, exactly. If you look closely at the plastic trim from the lights, they don't fit straight and angle upwards (see pics below), so the boot catches on them at the corners when you close it. The damage is gradual and can take a while to notice. I would have thought a lot more people have this, but just haven't noticed? Unless I have odd plastic trims?!
IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG

Bullitt66

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Right, jokes aside, there's atleast a blank decklid now around, that adds a different style to the MY15-17's and you can add badges without worrying about holes. :thumbsup:

I’ve just completed a bit of badge engineering on my Bullitt tribute. The Bullitt badge was unavailable until January and has been on back order until it finally arrived last week.

The black tail panel has 4 mounting holes which allows the same panel to accept eco horse, Euro GT with fake fuel filler, US GT or Bullitt emblem. The emblem is plastic welded to the panel so you need to butcher that off to release the emblem. A dremel or a Stanley knife will do it. Ford Aftermarket emblem comes with 3m double sided tape and a couple of self tapping screws so it’s a pretty solid fit. Smaller badges would get away with just double sided tape.

There’s a few video clips on vinyl wrapping it on you tube if you want to de-badge it altogether or fit a discreet small badge

The tail panel with the 2 stripes looks to be the same as the Ford Performance part which was a lot cheaper than the original plain part... So regarding Kristian87s amusing story, the reality was probably more a case of “this stripey part is already tooled up, so let’s add that. We can tell marketing some crap about the twin stripes giving a balanced yet discreet revision whilst keeping true to Mustang heritage, and tell the boss we can do this with zero budget”
069A7981-8B5B-4E7D-A012-B877AACDBD1F.jpeg

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
I just smoothed my original one off and added the Coyote badge...

5108A95D-B80F-45BD-9F37-8C1927FF94E3.jpeg

Sponsored

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, exactly. If you look closely at the plastic trim from the lights, they don't fit straight and angle upwards (see pics below), so the boot catches on them at the corners when you close it. The damage is gradual and can take a while to notice. I would have thought a lot more people have this, but just haven't noticed? Unless I have odd plastic trims?!
IMG_4375.JPG

IMG_4374.JPG
IMG_4374.JPG
Oooh, that’s not where I’ve seen it!

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Oooh, that’s not where I’ve seen it!
Easy fix, undo the 3 tail light bolts and "angle" it properly.

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Easy fix, undo the 3 tail light bolts and "angle" it properly.
I don't think you can (without ending up with a massive panel gap the other side of the light). The rest of the light unit is parallel to the bumper but then just curls upwards. Surely everyone elses is like this and they didn't mold a special 'Aladin's shoe' version just for my car?

Adam83

Yorkshireman.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT
That part has a retainer/locator behind it if I remember right, might not be located correctly, worth taking the lamp out to check this.

OP
OP
Manders Mustang

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think you can (without ending up with a massive panel gap the other side of the light). The rest of the light unit is parallel to the bumper but then just curls upwards. Surely everyone elses is like this and they didn't mold a special 'Aladin's shoe' version just for my car?
you got a shot of the boot closed mating up to it, there's basically a bunch of tabs that the section all matches up to and if you remove the bolts behind there's about 5mm of angle you can pivot the lights on to align them correctly. you may, as adam said, just not have the locator pins in properly.
Sponsored