Sponsored

Big Worm Graphix gloss black/red pinstripe on DIB--Self Installed

MBrasser22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT DIB
I have recently purchased the Narrow Dual Full Length Stripes from Big Worm Graphix. Gloss black stripe with red pinstripe on the outside. The stripes were well priced, cost $230 or so after taxes.

I had originally planned on getting them installed professionally, but everywhere I went for a quote, multiple shops wanted $350+ or were too scared to try and install themselves since it wasn't their vinyl in case they messed a piece up. I couldn't get myself to pay well over 100% of the material cost in terms of labor to install them. So with the weather being unseasonably nice in Columbus, Ohio at 55-60 degrees outside; I decided to grow some balls and install them myself.

The instructions recommend 60-85 degrees for installation and I was doing it just below the bottom end of that range. It is doable; but not as easy. Using a heat gun/hair dryer works wonders on the curves to get the vinyl warm and easier to wrap around curves and edges. This was also the first time I have ever installed vinyl graphics myself with the exception of the small stripes on my fenders that I did so this was very nerve wracking. However it is doable!

Total time it took me was around 8, to 8.5 hours across Saturday/Sunday. Wet installs using water on the hood/roof/trunk piece make life much easier. Dry installing the smaller pieces is much easier than wet (especially when wrapping the pieces at the ends) to get them to stick faster. The pinstripe was a huge pain to line up on the hood as I had to do it while standing on the side of the car--very hard to line up directly next to the edge of the main stripes.

By installing yourself; you are going to know the mistakes the made and where they are. Other people likely won't notice them but you certainly know where they are. During my installation, I have 2 slight imperfections. A slight wrinkle towards the nose of my hood stripe, not very noticeable..but it's there. And the second one is the nose itself. I wasn't paying close enough attention to the labelled driver/passenger side pieces and installed the driver side on the left side (which from the front of the car is actually the passenger side) so that was a dumb transposition error. As a result, my 1 inch gap on the nose slightly bows outward which is obnoxious.
img_20160131_153140956_hdr.jpg
img_20160131_153058594_hdr.jpg
img_20160131_153034682.jpg
img_20160131_170806.jpg
Sponsored

101charley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charley
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Magnetic, 400A, 6AT, 3.55, MBRP Street
I think it looks great. Congratulations! You did a great job. I have had the same experience trying to find a local installer. They either won't touch it at all or the price is absurd.

Sponsored

B.Crowder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2015 Mustang GT Prem. M/T
I went the DIY route also. I also have a slight wrinkle on the front part of the hood. I guess it is on account of the more complex curve in that area. My biggest screw-up was at the antenna. I thought it was all lined up, but there is a big gap on one side. Fixing that is on my to-do list. BW Graphics apparently sells sections of vinyl. Your top front fascia section probably wouldn't be too costly.

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
I went the self install route myself for the same reason as you. Local shop wanted way to much. The biggest issue for me was the huge bubbles in the material where it was kind of lifting off the backing paper when the stripes were shipped. The stripes came wrapped around a large cardboard roll maybe 3 to 4 inches in diameter. In the areas where the stripes had lifted, the material was kind of stretched, so they wanted to wrinkle when removing the app. fluid with squeegee. I had to use a heat gun to try and shrink the material. My stripe surface also doesn't look smooth and shinny. If you get lights to shine on the stripe, you can see a lot of texturing I guess you would call it. I'm tempted to order from Big Worm to see if the stripe quality is better.

OP
OP
MBrasser22

MBrasser22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT DIB
Thanks for the feedback guys, appreciate it and glad you all have liked it so far :cheers:. I do plan on ordering the fascia pieces separately and redo-ing them so that it won't drive me nuts anymore!
[MENTION=19354]Martman GT[/MENTION]: Big Worm's stripe came wrapped around in a cardboard roll around the same size, but I had none of the issues you described. Big Worm Grahpix's quality is great and they have a good reputation so if you want to redo your stripes I would say go with Big Worm.

Tribefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Big Worm can/will sell you replacement sections if you want to do that nose piece over again. Just a thought. Looks great though. Nice job!

Sponsored

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
Good Job, fellow Ohioan

OP
OP
MBrasser22

MBrasser22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT DIB
Ohhhh very nice. I love the way the white pinstripe looks with the black stripe on DIB! You chose...wisely.
Sponsored