Best mustang convertible edition?

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I’m playing with the idea of getting a convertible. I owned a ‘12 GT manual and LOVED that car.
I love a v8 and a manual, and the top down just adds even more to the experience to me.

im hoping this time around to get something that feels… “special” which is hard to quantify I suppose. But I guess something outside the Norms or a “regular mustang” like a roush RS3 for example. I’ve seen the Shelby speedster but at 150k that’s a bit out of reach for me lol
Also had the idea of a 2014 GT500 but considering the tech, and that live rear axle is think 1. I’d have a hard time getting a loan 2. I think I’d really miss some safety tech BLS ect. I’m used to

just wondering what special editions owners would recommend that come in the convertible form with a manual I could be searching for.
Sponsored

Canadian Crimson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible PP1 Royal Crimson
The only "Special Edition" would be a "California Special" . If you have time on your hands look st some different years there are limited colours in some years

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
The GT/CS is just an appearance package though isn’t it? Seems like an hole in there market for a higher performance convertible.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
You can get the convertible up to PP1 now but there isn't much of a point taking the wishy-washy secretary version of the car higher than that.

Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Like has been said already the PP1 on a GT vert is as good as it gets from ford. If your looking at used, the PP1 vert was not available until 16 and only came with a manual in 16 and 17. In 18 they finally offered an auto on a vert with the PP1. The 16-17's were gen 2's with an MT-82 and the 18+ were gen 3's with the MT-82 D4

The original grabber blue (non metallic) was a 17 only color and ford only made 24 GT verts with the PP1 in GB, in 18 they had a beautiful dark red metallic, can't remember the name ATM and the grabber blue metallic was in 22-23.

Last edited:

TonyNJ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
22 GT500HE Black Stripes, 20 GT350HE, 16 GT350R Ba
PP1, Magnaride, 401A, B&0 (or Shaker 1000), Active Exhaust, your favorite color inside and out. Add some jacking rails, k brace, maybe some nice wheels.... then enjoy your summer. I did it and it was a memorable year. Good luck whichever way you go.

🇺🇲

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
Like has been said already the PP1 on a GT vert is as good as it gets from ford. If your looking at used, the PP1 vert was not available until 16 and only came with a manual in 16 and 17. In 18 they finally offered an auto on a vert with the PP1. The 16-17's were gen 2's with an MT-82 and the 18+ were gen 3's with the MT-82 D4

The original grabber blue (non metallic) was a 17 only color and ford only made 24 GT verts with the PP1 in GB, in 18 they had a beautiful dark red metallic, can't remember the name ATM and the grabber blue metallic was in 22-23.
Royal Crimson was that beautiful red color. And in '17 they had a one year only color that was a pearl white and it was gorgeous in the sun. White platinum I think.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Bullitt, Mach 1 and Shelby’s are all coupe only for S550. As others have said, Cali Special or a performance pack GT are your only “special edition” options but I’m not sure those really qualify as special editions (maybe the CS).

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Royal Crimson was that beautiful red color. And in '17 they had a one year only color that was a pearl white and it was gorgeous in the sun. White platinum I think.
I don’t really care for white cars but White Platinum is a really cool color. I looked at a White Platinum Cali Special, almost bought it before I ordered my GT.

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
I didn't give white a second thoughts when I bought my 17, first time I saw one I was kinda bummed I didn't.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
I still love my 2011 S197 5.0 ‘vert. Compared to my 2022 S550, it feels very “analog” - and that’s a good thing; it forces you to really drive it rather than rely on assists and computers. Mine has the rare Technology Package with the touchscreen and rearview camera, so I don’t feel like I’m giving up much tech-wise. Despite lacking CarPlay, I can still use “Hey Siri” to queue up music or make phone calls et al - it just connects through the Sync v1 phone interface, which is a startling bit of unintentional forwards compatibility for a 14yo UI.

The S550’s have a more modern roof mechanism than the old hydraulic system in the S197… that was fun (not really) when the lift cylinder seals went bad. Shout out to Top Hydraulics for selling rebuilt OEM lift cylinders with upgraded seals at a reasonable price. Not the easiest DIY repair, but I got it done.

The soild axle might be “old tech,” but it’s tuned really well on the 2011+ S197. I upgraded to the Track Pack/Boss 302/GT500 rear control arms when my originals wore out, and they made an enormous difference.

My 2011 still feels special to me, partly because S197’s are already disappearing from the roads, and mostly because I have a sentimental attachment to mine as the original owner. I know every second of my car’s history, every scratch, ding, and character mark, every item I’ve replaced due to age and attrition, and what the plan is for the next projects.

After 14 years, she’s older than one of my kids and basically part of our family. That’s pretty darn special.
IMG_3070.jpeg

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
Ok it keeps being said that a PP1 or a GT/CS are the only options, but I know roush had a whole lineup of mustang convertibles too. What about those ?

OP
OP

Shanksfornothin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Teejay
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus IS200T
I still love my 2011 S197 5.0 ‘vert. Compared to my 2022 S550, it feels very “analog” - and that’s a good thing; it forces you to really drive it rather than rely on assists and computers. Mine has the rare Technology Package with the touchscreen and rearview camera, so I don’t feel like I’m giving up much tech-wise. Despite lacking CarPlay, I can still use “Hey Siri” to queue up music or make phone calls et al - it just connects through the Sync v1 phone interface, which is a startling bit of unintentional forwards compatibility for a 14yo UI.

The S550’s have a more modern roof mechanism than the old hydraulic system in the S197… that was fun (not really) when the lift cylinder seals went bad. Shout out to Top Hydraulics for selling rebuilt OEM lift cylinders with upgraded seals at a reasonable price. Not the easiest DIY repair, but I got it done.

The soild axle might be “old tech,” but it’s tuned really well on the 2011+ S197. I upgraded to the Track Pack/Boss 302/GT500 rear control arms when my originals wore out, and they made an enormous difference.

My 2011 still feels special to me, partly because S197’s are already disappearing from the roads, and mostly because I have a sentimental attachment to mine as the original owner. I know every second of my car’s history, every scratch, ding, and character mark, every item I’ve replaced due to age and attrition, and what the plan is for the next projects.

After 14 years, she’s older than one of my kids and basically part of our family. That’s pretty darn special.
IMG_3070.jpeg
I love to hear your story and about your car, my ‘12 was really special to me too. Black with the saddle brown leather and the shaker 1000. I really wish I’d never given that one up. If I could get a loan that would work for me for a 13/14 GT500 convertible id probably do it.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ok it keeps being said that a PP1 or a GT/CS are the only options, but I know roush had a whole lineup of mustang convertibles too. What about those ?
I’m not sure how many they actually made as Roush cars (pre-delivery anyway). I’m sure there’s folks that sent their verts to Roush dealers post-delivery for the Roush treatment but again not sure how many. The only Roush cars sold as new I’ve seen at Roush dealers around here were coupes.
Sponsored