Sponsored

Base vs tech pkg?

Maka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Opinions or experience question - Is it worth the savings not to get a tech pkg 2016 car to save around 10k on the cost (no track pack either)? i.e. not having the magnetic, larger screen/nav, etc? Thx.
Sponsored

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
I'm very happy with the base model. IMO it's the Voodoo that makes the car. Magneride is a nice luxury if you can afford, but the suspension and braking etc is still great without it. You can even piece together most of the other optional equipment later (excluding Magneride) if you like. I added the track pack spoiler, and have plans for Sync 3 eventually. Word is Ford is working on aftermarket track pack coolers too.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
Depends on how you plan on using the car. As my daily driver and weekend racer, my Tech Pack is the perfect vehicle. The magnetic shocks give a very nice ride in normal mode and the tuning I need for autocross and track days. The Sync system in my car sounds very good after I upgraded the rear speakers, despite what some owners here say about the sound quality. The extra features of the Tech Pack fit my daily activity perfectly, well worth the extra money.

OP
OP

Maka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Thx Patrick.

Not that I'm buying to sell, but do u think it will hurt resale not to have either tech or track?

OP
OP

Maka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Depends on how you plan on using the car. As my daily driver and weekend racer, my Tech Pack is the perfect vehicle. The magnetic shocks give a very nice ride in normal mode and the tuning I need for autocross and track days. The Sync system in my car sounds very good after I upgraded the rear speakers, despite what some owners here say about the sound quality. The extra features of the Tech Pack fit my daily activity perfectly, well worth the extra money.

Not planning on tracking the car. Would like to have tech, but here in Canada it's 9,600 plus hst sales tax 13%, so almost 11k :(

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Thx Patrick.

Not that I'm buying to sell, but do u think it will hurt resale not to have either tech or track?
My two cents: There are some people(including myself) who wanted a no frills car. The more options the car has, the more things that can break. I think the base will be desirable for its own purposes. You will most likely be able to add coolers later once Ford figures that out.

Last edited:

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
Track pack all the way, it's the most capable out of the box performance wise.
I've always been the type to get the performance options that are offered for a more capable car. The Recaros and Mag Ride are the immediate differences you feel right away. Rear spoiler looks cooler as well. The other stuff you'll want in the Track Pack if you ever plan to track your car at least once in your lifetime. Some members have experienced limp mode in non Track cars with just spirited driving on the streets, so take that for what it's worth as well.

M5944

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base Race Red no Stripes
I was like you but I wanted the track pack and ended up getting the base. I mainly wanted the mag ride but after putting 1k miles on my base car I am very happy with my decision. The suspension is well damped and firm enough for my liking. Like you I don't plan on tracking the car just the a acational back road and if the limp mode becomes an issue ford will (hopefully) have an option for me. I definitely wanted the cloth recaro which also came on the base. The engine itself makes the whole car.

Last edited:

Mustang Marcus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla 2016GT350 Magnetic Blue Stripe
I have the Tech package and love it.
The mag shocks are great and I really like the big screen.

Really depends on your budget. If your ok with the extra cost I would recommend the tech pack.

If not, your not going to go wrong with the base.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Maka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A6
Thanks all. I guess as with all purchase decisions it's want vs need, but I definitely want ;)

hacktracker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Renegade
I've tried to find a Base @ MSRP. No luck. I think that's the performance bargain of the century (as long as you're not tracking the car).

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I've had my base car for 1 week now and couldn't be happier with it.

Their are a few quality issues, but these will get adressed by the dealership under warranty.

Ride is surprisingly confortable and car handles very well with base set up, way better than my '16 GT PP.

Since this is not a DD, i didn't need all the tech goodies and could not justify spending $9400 xtra to get them.

Recaros hold you firmly in place , the only thing i don't like is getting in and out of them because of the high side bolster.

As previously mentionned, Ford is working on coolers , so that should take care of trannies overheating.

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
Production for Canada so far for 2016.

Base = 39
All "R" = 61
Track = 143
Tech = 368

Production for USA so far for 2016.

Base = 88
All "R" = 240
Track = 872
Tech = 2447

I think the base will be desirable since it's the rarest model of all.
Beside you won't see yourself coming or going. LOL

Ven0r

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, 2016 Focus RS, 2013 Raptor
Production for Canada so far for 2016.

Base = 39
All "R" = 61
Track = 143
Tech = 368

Production for USA so far for 2016.

Base = 88
All "R" = 240
Track = 872
Tech = 2447

I think the base will be desirable since it's the rarest model of all.
Beside you won't see yourself coming or going. LOL
Canada is doing really well with allocations!

Maybe 10% of the population of the US, but way more cars in terms of percentage :ford::cheers:
Sponsored