Sponsored

Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

menq27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
showed them your invoice they said they will get back to me no later than this week. thank you so much! I really appreciate.hopefully they will fix it
Sponsored

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Had mine looked at while they were doing the PCV TSB and the tech (who is a friend) told me not to worry about it unless it gets worse. Mine really only does it after the car has been driven a while and, I guess the transmission is warmed up. When it's cold, the trans shifts into gear so slowly it doesn't do it. When I get home and pull in the garage, its pretty loud. Oh, well, its under warranty til 60K miles then I'll trade it on a Honda, lol.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Had mine looked at while they were doing the PCV TSB and the tech (who is a friend) told me not to worry about it unless it gets worse. Mine really only does it after the car has been driven a while and, I guess the transmission is warmed up. When it's cold, the trans shifts into gear so slowly it doesn't do it. When I get home and pull in the garage, its pretty loud. Oh, well, its under warranty til 60K miles then I'll trade it on a Honda, lol.
Good idea, buy a car from a company that covered up air bag defects for 10 years, told the supplier to change the design without notifying federal regulators, and then only issued a recall because the body count was stacking up :lol:

Your ignorance is amazing. Go over to the Honda forums and see the problems that they are having with that junk. If you are foolish enough to believe that Hondas don't have problems, then you're foolish enough to own one.

speedfrk

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.nationalsuperbike.com
First Name
Curt
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier
Good idea, buy a car from a company that covered up air bag defects for 10 years, told the supplier to change the design without notifying federal regulators, and then only issued a recall because the body count was stacking up :lol:

Your ignorance is amazing. Go over to the Honda forums and see the problems that they are having with that junk. If you are foolish enough to believe that Hondas don't have problems, then you're foolish enough to own one.
Glad I can amaze you. You are amazing too!-in your ability to be abrasive, rude and make meaningless generalized statements like "see the problems that they are having with that junk". Brilliant. Compare Ford and Honda in the dependability study from JD Power. My Honda literally had nothing but oil changes in 4 years. My brother's Honda has had 1 warped rotor in 4 years. This Mustang has had 3 driveshafts, pinion flange, PCV update to cure an oil burning problem and the clanking between gears is still not resolved. All in 6 months. But it is a good looking car...
I have no fanboy allegiance to any brand. You are obviously emotionally invested in Ford since you work there. If I had had problems like this with the Honda, I would have been complaining on that forum as well.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Glad I can amaze you. You are amazing too!-in your ability to be abrasive, rude and make meaningless generalized statements like "see the problems that they are having with that junk". Brilliant. Compare Ford and Honda in the dependability study from JD Power. My Honda literally had nothing but oil changes in 4 years. My brother's Honda has had 1 warped rotor in 4 years. This Mustang has had 3 driveshafts, pinion flange, PCV update to cure an oil burning problem and the clanking between gears is still not resolved. All in 6 months. But it is a good looking car...
I have no fanboy allegiance to any brand. You are obviously emotionally invested in Ford since you work there. If I had had problems like this with the Honda, I would have been complaining on that forum as well.
I don't work for any particular manufacturer. Nice try, though.

You can lie all you want, it doesn't mean anyone is going to believe you. I work on Honda junk every day, and I can tell you that anyone who claims they've done "nothing but oil changes" in "4 years" is simply lying. Honda quality has been on the decline for the past 20 years; the fact that you pretend to have "no problems" doesn't change anything. I suppose you can try and make yourself feel better by pretending that the grass is greener on the other side, but that's not reality.

My family has also owned a fair amount of Hondas, including a 2001 and 2007 Odyssey, as well as a 2003 Civic. All of them have been complete garbage. The transmission on the 2001 failed at 118K (junked it), the 2003 isn't even worth mentioning, and the 2007 has had both front power window motors replaced, 3 wheel bearings replaced, the "active" rear motor mount replaced, both power door motors replaced, 2 power steering pumps replaced, both rear shocks replaced (leaking at 55K miles), both inner and outer tie rods replaced, as well as a recall on the fuel tank to address an issue that causes the vehicle to burn to the ground. It also has a Takata airbag, but of course Honda and Takata refuse to recall it, all in the interest of saving themselves money. Currently, the flex pipe cracked and is now leaking. I told my family to not to bother fixing it; just junk it and buy a real vehicle.

The only reason your Mustang has had "3 driveshafts and a pinion flange" is because your dealer is attempting to correct a "concern" that most likely doesn't even exist. If the car was at fault, the issue would have been easily identified and corrected the first time around. A noise that occurs when shifting between gears is normal, the only reason the dealer is changing parts is because you keep complaining, not necessarily because an actual issue exists.

As far as JD Power, why don't you provide a source that does a first hand reliability/dependability study on vehicles? You can't, because it doesn't exist. Companies like JD Power and C/R base their long term reliability/dependability studies solely on survey results, which is not the least bit accurate.

On the other hand, initial quality is based on TGW (things gone wrong) in the first 90 days of ownership, and is driven by warranty data, not housewives filling out surveys.

Here is the fact based data:

http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-us-initial-quality-study-iqs

What a surprise, Honda and Acura scores are below Ford, Lincoln, Ram, Chevrolet, Cadillac, Dodge, GMC, and Buick.

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fanboi drivel.....

FordTechOne,
Must you crap up every single thread with your blithering ignorant hatred of jap cars and blind love and fanboy'ism for Ford? Please, I am politely begging you, just stop. Please
At least leave a handful of threads be. At least the ones that are important, like this one.

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Haha. Mine just started doing this. So far it has done it twice in the past week or so. Yesterday was the second time and I thought, 'OK, something is wrong'.

Had my car since Nov 2014 and it has almost 25k miles on it, so mine took quite awhile to develop! :eek:

THANK YOU for the info, [MENTION=15482]Poppacapp[/MENTION]! :thumbsup:

klumpikat

Chick driver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 'Stang GT Premium
Of course he refused to use a forum as a resource, it's been that way since the beginning of time. Anyone can say anything on an internet forum, it's in no way a legitimate source to warrant a repair. Do you honestly think the manufacturer would pay the dealer for any repairs performed based on an internet forum? Of course they wouldn't, because it's ridiculous.
My service manager got the TSB info for the squealing brake issue right off this very forum without hesitation because it was not officially made available to him at the time. He ordered the parts immediately before they sold out. Problem solved. :shrug:

I am about to send him a screenshot of Poppacapp's invoice. Pretty sure this clank issue will be nipped in the bud shortly. :cool:

I would think any intelligent service manager would be well aware that a car enthusiasts' forum containing such a wealth of information can ultimately save them a whole lot of time.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
My service manager got the TSB info for the squealing brake issue right off this very forum without hesitation because it was not officially made available to him at the time. He ordered the parts immediately before they sold out. Problem solved. :shrug:

I am about to send him a screenshot of Poppacapp's invoice. Pretty sure this clank issue will be nipped in the bud shortly. :cool:

I would think any intelligent service manager would be well aware that a car enthusiasts' forum containing such a wealth of information can ultimately save them a whole lot of time.
I see what you are saying, and yes, the internet can be a valuable resource for information. However, my point was that there is a big difference between finding TSB information from an outside source (internet), it's another thing to diagnose a vehicle based on what people on a forum are saying.

For example if the dealer puts on the R.O. that they replaced all of the brake components because people on the internet are all complaining about the same thing, they will never get paid and will end up in a warranty audit. If they perform an applicable TSB based on a symptom, that's a different story.

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Got mine done last Thursday. Was fine for the rest of the day. But I haven't driven it since then. (Snow and rain) I will keep everyone updated.
P.S.-- They replaced the front flange like I asked.

Sponsored

18psi

of boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can you please post up your invoice/fix paper too?

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
can you please post up your invoice/fix paper too?
Mine won't be much help. It just basically says that I have a clunk/tin can sound coming from front of car while shifting from D to R. They duplicated it. I supplied the part, they removed the exhaust and driveshaft, and they installed it.

HDV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang 3.7
I'm having the exact same problem with mine. Only have 2500 miles on it and its starting to make a really loud popping noise. Taking mine into the dealership Thursday to get it looked at. Hopefully they replace the output flange.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
Installed the Steeda differential bushings this past weekend and now the clunk on mine is more pronounced. My guess is that the bushings are transferring more of the sound to the chassis which makes the noise more apparent.

FordTechOne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cobra
Brought my car to my selling dealer's service department (Summerville Ford) and two of their guys told me with a straight face that it was "Normal" --- after hearing the loud `clunk`. I left, and I'm currently getting ready to file for lemon law through the BBB (again).

Already went through the same thing with my 2015 and I'm really tired of all of this. I hope that no one of you is going through this and that you get your cars fixed.
Try a different dealer. Getting a car bought back over an issue that other people have had resolved by their dealers is ridiculous, you're going to create quite a name for yourself attempting to lemon law 2 cars.

Did you call the Customer Relationship Center? They will work with the dealer to try and get the issue resolved. One person's opinion at one dealer isn't the end all.
Sponsored