Sponsored

Are there different speakers in a convertible vs coupe?

Jxp1962

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
Ive got a new (leftover) 2022 gt convertible, love the car btw… it has the 401 package and B&O 12 speaker stereo. The audio quality is good, it sounds pretty good loud, it just does not seem as loud as my old 2017 ecoboost which had premium sound by Bose, that one just seemed way louder.
Maybe its the 8 cylinder rumble? But i feel that the ecoboost just had better sound.
The sound in the gt is good… just not as good as the Bose in my ecoboost… On a side note, i always drive with the exhaust in track mode… but even if i put it in normal or quiet i feel the b&o does not crank like my ecoboost.

Is it just imagination? I was thinking maybe with the vert maybe the rear speakers were different?
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I did the opposite of you, I had a 17 GT vert with the shaker pro audio system with the factory sub, that I traded for a mach 1 with the B&O system with the factory sub. The system in the vert sounded so much better and was way louder than the mach 1. I don't think it's different speakers per se, but more likely the b&o is inferior to the old shaker pro system.

Last edited:

lacanteen

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2022 EB premium vert, 2013 Escape, 2017 F150 SC5.0
The top absorbs a lot of sound. My B&O sounds better with the top down.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
The top absorbs a lot of sound. My B&O sounds better with the top down.
It is the same with the shaker pro system. But regardless the B&O system is inferior.

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Premium Gt Convertible
So any recommendations for switching out the door and rear panel speakers, while retaining the original head unit and amp?? I have a B&O system and like the trunk subwoofer, but feel the door speakers are sub par…Grandpa Bill

Sponsored

#1ford

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 mustang gt premium convertble antimatter blue
Vehicle Showcase
There are a lot of options on the B&O some good,some bad! Don’t beat me up but I truly like it ,there are a lot of options or settings ! Keep trying ! I personally like the saround sound options? What do you think.

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
There are a lot of options on the B&O some good,some bad! Don’t beat me up but I truly like it ,there are a lot of options or settings ! Keep trying ! I personally like the saround sound options? What do you think.
I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
'15 EB Prem Vert w/PP, '20 GT Prem Vert w/PP
I have a '15 EcoBoost convertible with a Shaker system and a '20 GT with a B&O system and the sound in both is outstanding--with the top up and the top down. I have no complaints whatsoever.

However, if there are 12 speakers in each of these cars, I would like to know where they're located--I can only account for 10; 3 in each pillar/door, 1 in the dash, 1 in each rear seat panel, and the sub-woofer in the trunk.

Perhaps the sound fidelity and resonance may not be as good in the coupe.

RJ

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
So any recommendations for switching out the door and rear panel speakers, while retaining the original head unit and amp?? I have a B&O system and like the trunk subwoofer, but feel the door speakers are sub par…Grandpa Bill
Hi Bill. Plenty of good threads about this over in the infotainment forum. Here’s a great start.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...install-journal-w-instructions-photos.187453/

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/b-o-10-sub-replacement-guide.148813/

Stevo59

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium PP1 Convertible
I have a '15 EcoBoost convertible with a Shaker system and a '20 GT with a B&O system and the sound in both is outstanding--with the top up and the top down. I have no complaints whatsoever.

However, if there are 12 speakers in each of these cars, I would like to know where they're located--I can only account for 10; 3 in each pillar/door, 1 in the dash, 1 in each rear seat panel, and the sub-woofer in the trunk.

Perhaps the sound fidelity and resonance may not be as good in the coupe.

RJ
I’m pretty sure the rear speakers are coaxial, thus the Ford math…

Sponsored

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)
I’m pretty sure the rear speakers are coaxial, thus the Ford math…
That was my initial thought, too. It would be good if we could verify that.

MrDude_1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT PP convertible
I didn't see it mentioned and I'm not an expert on it but the rear speakers on the convertible have a depth limitation that the coupe rear deck speakers don't have.

So if you get aftermarket rear speakers you have to make sure they are not too deep, or they foul with the convertible mechanism.

I'm not an expert so I'll leave what works and what doesn't to the other forum area where they have in-depth measurements and stuff

Cyberbill

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
I didn't see it mentioned and I'm not an expert on it but the rear speakers on the convertible have a depth limitation that the coupe rear deck speakers don't have.

So if you get aftermarket rear speakers you have to make sure they are not too deep, or they foul with the convertible mechanism.

I'm not an expert so I'll leave what works and what doesn't to the other forum area where they have in-depth measurements and stuff
Good Point…Thanks

White Stallion 11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
RJ
Vehicle(s)

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I don’t believe there’s a difference in speakers between the vert and coupe except for the rears maybe. There’s definitely a processing difference though. You can drop the and hear that. Also in regards to the rear speakers. Again it’s a processing thing with the signals from the head unit/amp and changing them won’t get you much bang for your buck. Changing the door speakers can help you though, tons of threads on that. Middle dash speaker delete or change can really help also. Again many threads on that.

My 2015 12 speaker system was a total train wreck from the factory and I think it was a Frankinstien of different speakers so they all got changed except for the A pillar tweeters. Still not great but way better.
Sponsored