Sponsored

Anyone running a true square (width+offset) setup?

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
If we try to use a 55 offset wheel on the front, the stock studs will not work.

You can buy a spacer with studs, but I would prefer to replace the OE studs with an ARP wheel stud through the hub, and then mount a properly machined, hubcentric spacer and wheel on those studs.

Wont 25mm spaces have there own studs? I think you might have to cut down the stock studs?? Im curious if a large enough spacer will allow you to use the stock stud lengths.

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyH4eGb0D0iOz0PAejtfvYBBiaM3NMuMckeB-MWDmX91jeFK53yaWhTm7aDyNIBEkT3K8gDHc&usqp=CAE.jpg

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
When did a 1000 per wheel become relatively affordable. :D:D
I'm hoping soon because I'm not sure I can afford the current pricing. :headbonk:

The "typical" forged wheel formed for track-dedicated use runs around $1250 - $1500 on the lower side of cost. That's a wheel forged from billet, designed to keep a tire and air pressure intact after some degree of impact (bend, not break), machined to high tolerances and low weight without sacrificing strength, knurled bead for keeping a tire seated, etc. A wheel with some of these attributes at $1000 is therefore considered "affordable".

It can be a tough pill to swallow when there are plenty of strong wheels out there from $250 - $450 per wheel. But, they're not as "good" as a well designed, fully forged wheel.
Yep, all options aren't very cheap. Although, it's a great excuse to pickup a set of Forgeline's.:headbang:

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
^ Above is incorrect, I'm sorry to say.

Numerous road courses are going to eat up tires on one side or corner of your car faster than the other, especially if your camber isn't on point. Road Atlanta will have a field day with your front left. Atlanta Motorsports Park will gobble up that front right and probably rear right. TGPR, a cheap track to get onto, will help you finish off a set of front tires faster than many other tracks just because of all the hard braking on the extremely grainy road surface.

Point being, you rotate tires in a square setup to not wear one or two out entirely while the other two have a few more runs in them... fact.
Sorry, but tire rotation IS a fact of life for those who want to max the usable life out of their track tires. Tread depth is only one factor here, and as was mentioned in direct response to your post, tires do not wear evenly on a given road course.
Ok I suppose replacing one tire per track day is kinda annoying.
As far as wear, the overall wear would be the same regardless you rotate or not.
The only difference is they are wearing unevenly if not rotated.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
The "typical" forged wheel formed for track-dedicated use runs around $1250 - $1500 on the lower side of cost. That's a wheel forged from billet, designed to keep a tire and air pressure intact after some degree of impact (bend, not break), machined to high tolerances and low weight without sacrificing strength, knurled bead for keeping a tire seated, etc. A wheel with some of these attributes at $1000 is therefore considered "affordable".

It can be a tough pill to swallow when there are plenty of strong wheels out there from $250 - $450 per wheel. But, they're not as "good" as a well designed, fully forged wheel.
Yeah I was being tongue in cheek. I cant see paying 1000 for a wheel that I use just for the track though that may say more about me then the cost.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
That's right, uneven wear becomes an issue and affects performance.

The thing to understand is that this is somewhat of a penny-pinching approach to track time, and trying to maximize the cost-per-use ratio. Performance tires are expensive, more so for the GT350 sizes and compounds we're interested in. If you decide you're only going to run one set of wheels/tires, for any of a number of reasons, then it makes sense to maximize what you can get out of them. Remember, when one wheel is down because of a tire, then the whole set is effectively down. And, you basically want to have even wear on the tires, rather than one or more with far more or less grip than the others. In high speed and high g situations, uneven handling characteristics are an adventure you really don't want . . .

Ok I suppose replacing one tire per track day is kinda annoying.
As far as wear, the overall wear would be the same regardless you rotate or not.
The only difference is they are wearing unevenly if not rotated.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Believe me, I agree with you.

It may be apples to oranges, but I'm used to spending $175 - $250 per wheel for my BMW race car. Whole different ball game with this platform, and I haven't really adjusted yet . . .

Yeah I was being tongue in cheek. I cant see paying 1000 for a wheel that I use just for the track though that may say more about me then the cost.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

It may be apples to oranges, but I'm used to spending $175 - $250 per wheel for my BMW race car. Whole different ball game with this platform, and I haven't really adjusted yet . . .
Yeah I am hit with the "different ball game" feeling all the time. Im trying to figure out if im "old" or there is a bunch of BS that has become accepted.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT

Well, even for road use I wouldnt trust wheels that are less than $250. I mean you want quality wheels. Would you rather pay maybe $400 per wheel or have an accident if the wheel snaps off for $4000+?

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Wont 25mm spaces have there own studs? I think you might have to cut down the stock studs?? Im curious if a large enough spacer will allow you to use the stock stud lengths.

g?q=tbn:ANd9GcSyH4eGb0D0iOz0PAejtfvYBBiaM3NMuMckeB-MWDmX91jeFK53yaWhTm7aDyNIBEkT3K8gDHc&usqp=CAE.jpg
Spacer is a big no no for track day.

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Well, even for road use I wouldnt trust wheels that are less than $250. I mean you want quality wheels. Would you rather pay maybe $400 per wheel or have an accident if the wheel snaps off for $4000+?
That statement is one of ignorance. If you believe that price alone dictates quality and somehow guarantees that a wheel won't fail, then this conversation is not for you.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Pure ignorance and lack of experience. Please do not cloud up this thread with your lack of knowledge or experience.
Show me one race team uses spacers for their race cars.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
That statement is one of ignorance. If you believe that price alone dictates quality and somehow guarantees that a wheel won't fail, then this conversation is not for you.
I didn't say price alone dictates quality but price definitely has influence in quality.
Sponsored