Sponsored

Anyone else like the stock exhaust?

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I'm fine with the stock exhaust, except it's heavy. But sound wise it's fine. I don't like that sound tube thingie, I taped if off on my 2011 Brembo GT and I'm going to do the same to this one. Just sounds phony.

I hate loud exhaust on street cars. It's kind of juvenile dickey waving, isn't it? All that racket is going to do is get the aftermarket parts nazis into high gear to ban such mods down the road. And they won't stop there.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm fine with the stock exhaust, except it's heavy. But sound wise it's fine. I don't like that sound tube thingie, I taped if off on my 2011 Brembo GT and I'm going to do the same to this one. Just sounds phony.

I hate loud exhaust on street cars. It's kind of juvenile dickey waving, isn't it? All that racket is going to do is get the aftermarket parts nazis into high gear to ban such mods down the road. And they won't stop there.
...or maybe some of us just like to fully enjoy the experience of a V8 sports coupe, which includes a great soundtrack? I know for me it's about what I like, and I don't care about what others think about it other than making sure it doesn't upset the neighbors.

Judgemental much?

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Pretty excited to keep the stock exhaust and use Pype Street Pros. It seems to add the rumble the car should have had from the factory

Fordever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Convertible
Keeping the stock mufflers and adding an H pipe will keep the same tone, add zero rasp, but up the volume a little bit. Nothing over the top.

I hate how popular x pipes are on these cars, they add so much rasp and just make the exhaust note unpleasant for the most part.
Added the H-pipe from CJPP to one of our mustang GT's. It has a deeper idle tone that is slightly louder at start-up but it is much louder at wot. Perfect sound for me with the stock axle-backs. No drone.
Waiting on a discount code from CJPP and gonna order an H pipe...:thumbsup:

Reactions: NJ3

SeaStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 5.0
Oh my GAWD, the stock exhaust on the 5.0 GT is an ABOMINATION. When I got my 15, my mouth hung open at how pathetic a 430 horse V8 could sound! Now I own an 05 GT which is parked next to it so I can make a direct comparison. The 4.6 sounds like 1000000 times better all by itself, deeper tone. Whereas the 5.0 is raspy. But as far as the exhaust, what the hell were they thinking putting that quiet gutless exhaust on this generation?? I mean did the same people who designed the S197 design this? Did they wake up one day and look for totally different things for the sound they wanted their exhaust to make? It's just shocking.

Sponsored

Modrodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Waiting on a discount code from CJPP and gonna order an H pipe...:thumbsup:
Yep, just did this mod on Wednesday. I was surprised at how much better it sounded. And I'm coming from a procharged, cammed 02 that made my brain hurt every time I drove it. LOL Also, CJPP has that H Pipe on sale for 85.00 right now.

Last edited:

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
= Canadian. Explains it all.

These motors are symphony of bellowing howl hell coyotes. Uncorking them is like taking the fine satin dress off of your beautiful woman.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
= Canadian. Explains it all.

These motors are symphony of bellowing howl hell coyotes. Uncorking them is like taking the fine satin dress off of your beautiful woman.
I'm an American raised in Dearborn Michigan, right outside the gates of the FoMoCo engineering area.

Loud exhausts are lame. Juvenile. Annoying. They're "Look-at-me-PLEEEEASE!!!! I need attention!!!!"

There's plenty of AM exhausts that sound good, but aren't creators of annoying racket. And the stock exhaust is just fine, they get more growly as they age.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I've had multiple tell me my exhaust sounds good...and I have Flowmasters....on a V6.
Yesterday, a personal trainer from my gym who drives an M3 told me he loved the sound of my Stang.
Many people asked me if it was a V8...clearly shows....the common folk could not distinguish the sound of a V6 to a V8.

I don't mind loud exhaust but if you're only using it to grab attention its embarassing, I was at Costco like 2 months ago getting gas and this dude in a 14 GT500 kept revving his engine for no fkin reason but to show off. He wasn't even at the pump, he was just waiting in line like most of us were... idiot kept revving his engine acting like people were supposed to come out of their cars, clap for him, and ask for his signature. It was so damn cringy. Even worse, when he came out of the car, it was some 5'2 dude who looked like he played too much World of Warcraft, had some ugly Benjamin Franklin lookin type hair, and looked like he got his clothes donated to him by a homeless dude.

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I'm an American raised in Dearborn Michigan, right outside the gates of the FoMoCo engineering area.

Loud exhausts are lame. Juvenile. Annoying. They're "Look-at-me-PLEEEEASE!!!! I need attention!!!!"

There's plenty of AM exhausts that sound good, but aren't creators of annoying racket. And the stock exhaust is just fine, they get more growly as they age.
If you're from Michigan that makes you pretty close to the boarder. Much closer than I. But I didn't mean the Canadian in a poor way. I have family there. They are much of the same opinion as you and JohnD.

However, claiming exhaust as a juvenile mod puts the idea of modifying your car as juvenile in general. While exhaust is audible, wheels tint stripes lowering buffing etc are visual and still a "look at me" mod. So unless your car is original and untouched, you're being pretty hypocritical. And even then, some of us enjoy improving the looks of our cars or making them faster.

I enjoy the sound of an uncorked 5.0L. I grew up drag racing and sprint kart racing so unchecked aggressive exhaust is what I'm used to. I see it unnecessary on vehicles like my truck. But for a car as sporty and eye grabbing as my GT there's really no better vehicle to do it on. It's what being an enthusiast is all about. The pursuit of personalized perfection of your dream car.

But I do agree that straight piped dumpster truck exhaust is lame. But loud with a good smooth tone and an attractive note is worth the extra db's all day.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
..... So unless your car is original and untouched, you're being pretty hypocritical. ....
It's tuned, with plush floor mats!!!!!:D:D

Yes, I think much modding is rather silly. Actual power, handling, braking and general performance up-grades are great. I also like the idea of making your vehicle more comfortable interior-wise.

Subtlety is where it's at for me. Making your car something that shouts "LOOK AT ME!!!!" seems pathetic.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
...or maybe some of us just like to fully enjoy the experience of a V8 sports coupe, which includes a great soundtrack?
A great soundtrack is part of it, yes. But if it's really good it doesn't have to be all that loud.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
However, claiming exhaust as a juvenile mod puts the idea of modifying your car as juvenile in general.
Most people don't understand the concept of subtlety when they're younger - teens and 20-somethings especially. There's a lot of posturing going on, and having a loud car feeds that by generating excitement all out of proportion to any actual performance increase over the same car with the volume turned down.

I've modified the exhaust on every single car I've owned since at least as far back as 1970 . . . except for the 2010 Subie in my sig. Some more than once, either because of system deterioration or because of engine swaps. They didn't speak in whispers like OE, but none of them was ever obnoxiously loud. The way I figured it, if I had to make them loud so people would notice, I'd be attracting attention from a lot of people whose opinions and thoughts on car building I didn't share.

. . . wheels tint stripes lowering buffing etc are visual and still a "look at me" mod.
And IMHO subtlety applies to these mods and others as well. For uses short of semi-serious show car involvement, anyway. It's a shame that sig pictures can't be any bigger on this site, not that you'd notice the half inch of lowering if I posted a picture post lowering.

But loud with a good smooth tone and an attractive note is worth the extra db's all day.
A good smooth tone with a few extra db's is one thing. Emphasis on 'few'. Add very many more db's on top of that and it's just loud for the sake of being loud. The last really loud car I heard was at an HPDE track day, and even with my helmet on it physically hurt my ears when I pointed him by - and he passed me on my passenger side.

Maybe the S550 chassis is so new that there haven't been all that many people on that treadmill of trying and discarding various exhaust system mods yet.

Norm

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
A great soundtrack is part of it, yes. But if it's really good it doesn't have to be all that loud.

Norm
Agreed. I'm not part of the club that wants an exhaust so loud that everyone can hear them. THAT is juvenile. I tried truly loud for about an hour with my axleback (tried X-pipe instead of stock resonator, so basically had the Xtreme catback) and decided it was much too loud, despite sounding incredible.
Sponsored