Sponsored

Anyone else feeling the MY18 urge?

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The new car will be safer, as it will have some of the safety features that the US cars have.
No it won't, the digital dash, 10 speed auto etc, will just attract more Audi TT drivers, which will probably make it the most dangerous car on the road.

16Fastback

RMR 8985
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fastback , 2009 Ranger 4x4
No,love the look of my 16 the 18's just don't appeal to me.I had a digital dash in my 1990 Lincoln and I prefer the 6 speed manual.Got too many mods to trade it in anyway.:)

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
For most UK buyers this is our first Mustang. If I had a 15-17 there is no way I'd trade it in for an 18.

Unless you have a lemon then I suspect there is a great positive emotional connection with the car, you would lose that connection just following the latest refresh. (Unless you are a complete car nut like Gibbo).

My first Mustang will be the '18. No doubt the s650 will be a better car, but if my '18 is a good one then there is no way I'd be chasing the latest and losing the love for my first Pony.

If it was not for wanting an automatic I'd have probably kept my car.

As MY18 gives me the auto I desire, to move over to an S650 it will have to be amazing looks wise or make me want it real bad. As my MY18 is fully kitted out, mag ride, recaro, A10, digital dash the only way I can see them improving further is essentially with power and looks. Though we know NA wise were not going to see much more than 550HP.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
If it was not for wanting an automatic I'd have probably kept my car.

As MY18 gives me the auto I desire, to move over to an S650 it will have to be amazing looks wise or make me want it real bad. As my MY18 is fully kitted out, mag ride, recaro, A10, digital dash the only way I can see them improving further is essentially with power and looks. Though we know NA wise were not going to see much more than 550HP.
How have you found the manual Gibbo and what’s persuaded you to change to the auto..... faster changing?;) so far I’ve specified manual for mine as I just like the thought of a manual V8 with a white gear knob :D probably watched too many episodes of Gas Monkey Garage

Sponsored

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How have you found the manual Gibbo and what’s persuaded you to change to the auto..... faster changing?;) so far I’ve specified manual for mine as I just like the thought of a manual V8 with a white gear knob :D probably watched too many episodes of Gas Monkey Garage

The manual in Mustang at first feels great, the shifter is quite nice, but to live with it kind of just becomes a bit on annoyance in a daily as overall its just an average manual, bit like a BMW manual really, hence why so many of the BMW's get optioned with DCT. In short its no Porsche or Honda S2000 as their manuals are superb. Still as I've got older and as automatic technology has improved I simply find myself preferring a good automatic.

Reviews and owners rave over A10, saying its a great improvement over A6. For me outgoing A6 was not good enough, to be honest compared to something like DCT or PDK it was simply dated and to me poor, many love them, but I've being spoiled by modern Euro box automatics which are simply in another league, hell even the very old SMG (manual but no clutch setup) was and is faster than the A6 and more responsive and that is 15yr old technology.

Jury is still out on A10, am hoping its as good as DSG, which I find acceptable, its very quick, smooth and works well, its just well a bit boring. PDK/M-DCT is amazing, I can't see it rivalling these, but if its about as good as DSG I shall be happy. If its better then great, but we shall see, but in short a good sports automatic in manual mode should:
- Rev match, but in sport/track mode it should also do naughty loud blips
- Change up should feel instant and even simulate a kick in sport/track
- Change down should be quick and always give you the gear if RPM allows
- Kick down disabled in manual mode
- Auto change up disabled in manual mode, bangs limiter, need to pull paddle
- Torque converter if present should not kill low down performance or response
- Wide open up changes should not break traction, they should feel aggressive to the driver but be seamless on the transmission so their is no loss of power or traction lost/broken on up change
- Lever to act like a sequential shifter if you decide to not use paddles but still want manual mode
- Launch control
- Accelerate quicker than the manual (stick) version even when a racing driver god is doing gear changes

Then when back in auto mode, be as good as a traditional automatic but with better intelligence.

Very few offer the above, I've only found PDK (Sports Plus) and M-DCT to do all those and only M-DCT simulates a good kick in the back as BMW very smartly let you set gearbox mode (ferocity S1 - S6) independent of any other car settings, so in short:
- S1, very slow change, clutch slip, ideal for snow.
- S2, slow, gentle shift, good for town.
- S3, ideal all purpose mode, fast smooth shifts
- S4, sportier, gentle kicks on up changes, little blips on down changes
- S5, race for street, bigger blips, bigger kick, fastest shift logic with traction enabled, so still smooth and even OK in wet.
- S6, nutcase mode, traction must be off, shifts are so fast and harsh traction might be broke on gear change, massive kick in back like a sequential and huge naughty big loud blips like a proper DTM race car.

BMW did this since SMG2, to be frank its ace. SMG2 was clunky in auto, which was its weakness in manual amazing, but in auto a really poor auto, though once you gel with the car you learn to drive to benefit each other, some would say shit, I say its just got character, though a proper auto is a better auto than SMG2 trying to pretend. SMG3 got better but was just as a fragile and more expensive and complicated to fix.

Then along came M-DCT and they just nailed it. Closest rival is Porsche PDK Sports Plus which just works, super strong and won't break traction even in track settings in the wet, such a good system and still kicks a little, but M-DCT does beat it on the fun factor in manual mode. The R35 GTR also has a pretty good automatic too, again its a bit clunky but its part of the character and if a GTR aint clunking or s******ing at you it must be broken.

Those who have owned an E46 M3 SMG, that in S6 its like having a full on race sequential gear box in the car, its great when your in the mood for a good drive. I take passengers out in mine and do some gear changes in S6, at first I always treat them to a downshift, the grin on their face when they hear it blip. Then I treat them to some full wide open throttle upshifts and the look of fear in their faces as the car kicks them in the kidneys.

Its not to everyones taste, but I love an auto box that has a wild fun side. :D

Not expecting this of the A10, just hopeful its like DSG and maybe a good tuner can code some fun into, problem is most American tuners make the automatics shift worse, hence when I tune mine it shall be engine only, the A10 won't be touched in anyway unless its to my precise instructions.

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY19 Fastback V8 5.0 Race Red White Stripes Custom Pack 2 Magneride Spoiler Ebony
Got to admit I’ve driven a PDK Cayman S and it was like a rocket and a lot faster than my manual Boxster. Might have a rethink depending on pricing. How come you are binning the heated seats for recarros? Track use? I’ve got a bad back riding hard tail chops so I like some heat but those seats look cool

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got to admit I’ve driven a PDK Cayman S and it was like a rocket and a lot faster than my manual Boxster. Might have a rethink depending on pricing. How come you are binning the heated seats for recarros? Track use? I’ve got a bad back riding hard tail chops so I like some heat but those seats look cool

Rarity, they look cool and though a touch firmer initially they are quite comfortable, though stock seats are comfier and have the AC option.

If I keep this one, those seats will look great, no plans to track it really apart from maybe the odd leisure track day, the M3 is built for the serious track stuff.

Caymans are great fun, if you thought it was good, go drive a 991 GT3 RS, the PDK is even more aggressive in that car.

naughts4187

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Guard
For most UK buyers this is our first Mustang. If I had a 15-17 there is no way I'd trade it in for an 18.

Unless you have a lemon then I suspect there is a great positive emotional connection with the car, you would lose that connection just following the latest refresh. (Unless you are a complete car nut like Gibbo).

My first Mustang will be the '18. No doubt the s650 will be a better car, but if my '18 is a good one then there is no way I'd be chasing the latest and losing the love for my first Pony.
Totally agree with this! :amen: It's an emotional one for me, first Pony ever, S550, one of the first in the UK too. Mine's staying forever. Give it a few years I'll probably keep her in storage and run in the summer only. By then the should be a new pony along and I'm sure I'll love them both. As for the MY18 - one of the biggest aesthetics is gone, the front end. So I'll pass for now, probably get jealous when I drive one how much quicker it is stock.....

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Many condemned the s550 front at the time, i thought it looked odd side on (Catfish) but from the front it looked aggressive.
The fact that my car was a first delivery too was a strong enough reason to keep it, but after much thought i gave in and ordered the 18.The magnaride with the additional bits from the 350 and the other upgrades its looking very promising.The 18 front is ok, i can live with it,what i dont like is the shiny black plastic that sticks out like a sore thumb.I guess that could be changed or resprayed.I would love the recaro's but I'm quite big with a bad back so I'm not chancing it.I kind of wanted the orange fury but i chickened out,i thought i might feel embarrassed picking up my pension with it so i went with magnetic.One thing i dont get i couldn't order the rear spoiler with any option,yet again the sales team didn't know an awful lot.

Sponsored

Flamesey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many condemned the s550 front at the time, i thought it looked odd side on (Catfish) but from the front it looked aggressive.
The fact that my car was a first delivery too was a strong enough reason to keep it, but after much thought i gave in and ordered the 18.The magnaride with the additional bits from the 350 and the other upgrades its looking very promising.The 18 front is ok, i can live with it,what i dont like is the shiny black plastic that sticks out like a sore thumb.I guess that could be changed or resprayed.I would love the recaro's but I'm quite big with a bad back so I'm not chancing it.I kind of wanted the orange fury but i chickened out,i thought i might feel embarrassed picking up my pension with it so i went with magnetic.One thing i dont get i couldn't order the rear spoiler with any option,yet again the sales team didn't know an awful lot.
I’m told the rear spoiler comes with the performance packs. I’ve ordered pack 2 black wheels which gets the spoiler apparently

Avalyn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Very interesting thoughts on why you're going to the A10 Gibbo205, can't help having a sneaky feeling you'll want back into a manual at some point as you clearly love cars and driving and I suspect with 10 ratios - manual mode is going to be nuts as you'll likely have no feel for what gear you're in and having to pull a paddle 9 times to get it into top gear will eventually feel like a chore ;)

I think the manual (fixed with the Steeda spring - actually mine is ok standard) is a large part of the attraction for me. Not every change is perfect, but when you nail a slow one at low revs, it just feels so right and so satisfying.

I always like to know what speed the car gets to in each gear so if you're needing to overtake a doddler [MENTION=27928]50[/MENTION], you know 3rd will be best. In the BMW with so many ratios the best way was just to mash the peddle. Quick - yes but just all too easy. No setting a car up and changing before the corner etc. etc.

I intentionally tried with my S3, Boxster and 335i to use the paddles more often than just sticking it in D, to try and find a bit of interaction but with all 3 eventually (especially the 335i) just resorted to sticking in in Sport and D and letting the car sort it out. Becomes a point and squirt game after that and I got bored very quickly :confused:

Absolutely appreciate that the A10 will be quicker, more fuel efficient, ideal for the commute and some people just love DSG/PDk and will never go back.

For me though the Mustang had to be the 5.0 v8 and manual.

Different strokes for different folks though. Maybe I'm just an old fart :D

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi

everyone is just talking about the new cluster and autobox on their impressions of the car.

But the question how is the car from a dynamics pov :)

Will be very similar unless you spec mag ride as this option gives you pretty much a GT 350 GT suspension wise, which will help a lot.

Otherwise the only real change dynamics wise is PS4s and lighter wheels if you option the forged.

I suspect mag ride, PS4s and forged wheel options will make the car quite an improvement on the outgoing stock car and bring it on parr with an MY15 running Michelins, good coilovers etc. but with some extra flexibility.

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting thoughts on why you're going to the A10 Gibbo205, can't help having a sneaky feeling you'll want back into a manual at some point as you clearly love cars and driving and I suspect with 10 ratios - manual mode is going to be nuts as you'll likely have no feel for what gear you're in and having to pull a paddle 9 times to get it into top gear will eventually feel like a chore ;)

I think the manual (fixed with the Steeda spring - actually mine is ok standard) is a large part of the attraction for me. Not every change is perfect, but when you nail a slow one at low revs, it just feels so right and so satisfying.

I always like to know what speed the car gets to in each gear so if you're needing to overtake a doddler [MENTION=27928]50[/MENTION], you know 3rd will be best. In the BMW with so many ratios the best way was just to mash the peddle. Quick - yes but just all too easy. No setting a car up and changing before the corner etc. etc.

I intentionally tried with my S3, Boxster and 335i to use the paddles more often than just sticking it in D, to try and find a bit of interaction but with all 3 eventually (especially the 335i) just resorted to sticking in in Sport and D and letting the car sort it out. Becomes a point and squirt game after that and I got bored very quickly :confused:

Absolutely appreciate that the A10 will be quicker, more fuel efficient, ideal for the commute and some people just love DSG/PDk and will never go back.

For me though the Mustang had to be the 5.0 v8 and manual.

Different strokes for different folks though. Maybe I'm just an old fart :D

Remember its not 10 ratio in manual driving, it only has 7 forward gears, 3 are overdrives, so for sports driving its no different than a modern DSG or PDK or M-DCT which are also 7 performance ratio'd gears. The 10 speed has 3 overdrives, something to remember. 10th is equivalent of 6th in old car pretty much. As such when using manual mode your only going to be using 1-7, I'd never be manually selecting 8th, 9th, 10th unless I was doing 1 mile drag runs or autobahn racing. Otherwise manual on country lanes, only 7 gears, easy to use I find. On a motorway or cruising, slap it into auto and let it do its thing.

I'd imagine:
1st: 40mph
2nd: 55mph
3rd: 85mph
4th: 105mph
5th: 125mph
6th: 140mph
7th: 165mph

Pure guess, but cannot see that being far off, which is pretty perfect for keeping accelerating rapid. The 10 speed will also on a launch if it detects wheel spin in anyting but track or manual mode, will short change into 2nd to keep acceleration momentum for maximum performance.

Diesels don't work in manual mode, your rev range is 2000-4500rpm, it just gets real boring and fast, so hence why using auto.

In the Golf I use manual mode all the time, rev range is 2000-6500rpm so not bad for a turbo motor and I thoroughly enjoy it because it screams through the six ratio's so fast as they are so short, but that makes it great fun buzzing up and down the box on the paddles. Problem is with manual paddle shifting, Porsche in particular, the gearing is way too long, 85mph in 2nd gear for example on Boxster/Cayman, so in short you just drive in 2nd/3rd on a country lane, gets a bit boring.

The Mustang is a bit like Golf by having short ratio's, with the advantage its got three overdrives bolted on for good measure when cruising. 80mph in the Golf is 3000rpm. :(

So the idea of using the paddles a lot to me is fun, it is also a good reason why I made the final drive on the M3 shorter, so I could use 2nd, 3rd and 4th on country lanes, whereas before it was just 2nd/3rd. Pulling next gear on a paddle shifter is good fun as is doing epic rev matched blipped downhifts. :)
Sponsored