Sponsored

Any guess on how long the horsepower wars are going to last?

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I wonder when big government will finally put so many restrictions for fuel efficiency the car makers globally will have to throw in the towel and dial it back.

Also, there comes a point when there is too much Cheap HP for the masses. I think we all know people who drive cars with too much power for their skill.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I think as long as there are lots of people who still want fun cars, the government and car companies will find a way.

I hope that the fascist attitudes of many people don't last, and that more people adopt a live and let live philosophy. But I'm not holding my breath! :)

Tim 2015GT

Fanatic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech Pack
I would say our days are numbered. If I had to guess, 4-5 years left in the power wars. And I am probably being generous. EPA regulations are starting to come down HARD on the auto industry right now. so its just a matter of time.

Rv-Junke

Rv-Junke
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2021 Black GT - PP
Well, I would disagree with timing and EPA...the BMW i8, and others will once again raise the bar with DC battery powered motors driving the car the 1st 30mph, then combustion engine kick in...this will raise the overall HP, double the Torque while lowering MPG...well this is my thesis for the cars of the future...The Tesla sports car all DC is INSANE on torque and can do something like 2.8 0-60 all battery...A new era has arisen and I believe the HP wars are just beginning, but will be different than us old school 70's Muscle Car era!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
Well, I would disagree with timing and EPA...the BMW i8, and others will once again raise the bar with DC battery powered motors driving the car the 1st 30mph, then combustion engine kick in...this will raise the overall HP, double the Torque while lowering MPG...well this is my thesis for the cars of the future...The Tesla sports car all DC is INSANE on torque and can do something like 2.8 0-60 all battery...A new era has arisen and I believe the HP wars are just beginning, but will be different than us old school 70's Muscle Car era!
This. The Tesla-D proves that you can have efficiency + extreme levels of HP & Torque. That is the wave of the future. I think there will always be a place for V8 cars but we'll just have to pay a premium for them in there future as they will be made more for enthusiasts only. I'm perfectly fine with that btw. 20 years from now I'll have a Tesla (or another American car company's all-electric/high HP) as my daily commuter and have a V8 'Stang in the stable for weekend driving. Win-win.

Sponsored

SWLA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well hopefully we can dial down the big government some and keep the HP wars going longer. Government is already to big as it is.

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
EPA lol. I like how people think the EPA and fuel emissions regulations is going to do a damn thing to the power. We have more power across all brands and cars than we have ever in history and the best fuel economy and cleanest emissions. Auto makers and engineers need to adapt. I don't see power going away ever unless demand does.

And it is quite possible to get power & acceleration through clean emissions. Most of our damn trucks and SUVs still get 30 hwy mpg which is unheard of 10-15 years ago. We don't have to breathe crap fumes either. I think Tesla's proven a good concept. Electric is probably the next step where fuel emissions and EPA doesn't really play a role in how much power you can put down. That electric mustang tore it up.

And yes all the old timers and conservative personalities will say "electric? bah humbug" but that instant torque in an electric car is something internal combustion can't really replicate.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
In the future you will see cars being much lighter. Huge horsepower cars represent a fragment of sales for an OEM

SVTFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Wimbledon white LE #275 A6
In the future you will see cars being much lighter. Huge horsepower cars represent a fragment of sales for an OEM

I think you are correct. They will turn to lighter materials as they become cheaper to manufacture and the technology is developed on the higher revenue vehicles (ie f150).

Even though the big HP cars represent a fragment of the sales, they drive sales of the siblings and also are another path to development for the more common variants.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
The "choice" to own a high powered car is almost on the same level as the Second Amendment to automotive manufacturers and enthusiasts.

I don't see lawmakers or the general public getting behind any type of Ban or Limit anytime soon. The government won't go any farther than the Gas Guzzler tax as long as the engines still pass emission standards. As long as people are buying 700 hp+ vehicles, I don't see anything changing anytime soon.

The market has other ways to limit itself too, such as Insurance companies charging excessive rates to insure the things we desire. For example, I have a new Kawasaki ZX-14R, and many insurance companies want to charge $9,000 per year for full coverage insurance.

Sponsored

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I think to differentiate, you will see big naturally aspirated 8+ cylinder engines start to fade except on exotics. You will see a lot more 4 and 6's with turbos.

a turbo 6 cylinder can produce massive power. The new BMW M4 is proof of this. A 3 liter V6 engine making 430hp and 410 ft lbs. going 0-60 in 4.1 sec.

I think the current 2.3L Ecoboost is just the start of the trend shift. There is no reason they can't put in a 3.5L V6 ecoboost (which are currently making almost 400hp as is without upping the boost) on a sinle turbo. Look at the Ford GT- 3.5L ecoboost making almost 600hp on twin turbos; and the new Raptor will have this engine as well. There's a reason they didn't go V8 or V10.

I think the number of Ecoboost I see on the road daily, 10 to 1 to V6 and GTs, is testament to people are happy with fuel efficient and horsepower.

I fully do see Ford weaning to the 3.5 Ecoboost to replace the V8 in the next 5-10 or so years. MPG restrictions start kicking in hard from 2016-2025.

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Never say never cause this could last a long time. What's with all the negative vibes on performance cars in the future. Don't believe what's you are told ....those people are idiots. I've heard it before believe me. Electric motors on the wheels along with Engines have already increased the HP wars. This is just the start of things too come. Stay tuned !!!

Last edited:

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
I agree w/ a few here.

Advanced tech, such as hybrid drive systems and composite materials, will trickle down to everyday cars. While 'hp' may flatline or decrease, performance certainly won't.

I think the biggest threat is the possibility of higher performance cars getting into the hands of those that can't handle it and driving insurance rates up. Unlike the first musclecars era, most of the new cars are expensive enough to keep most unexperienced drivers away, not to mention all of the electronic nannies...so even this may not actually happen.

Overall the future looks bright. Expensive, but bright.