Sponsored

Any GT350 owners contemplating the '17 Raptor?

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Shadow BLK/Blue Ordered 8/25
So far I love it. The exhaust note is sub par for this truck imo but I can get use to it. The panoramic roof is nice but hopefully it doesn't leak... The '16 platinum I got for my brother in law has one and he hasn't had any issues so far after 6k miles.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
What cover did you go with?
I ordered it with the truck. The one from Ford is just like the one I used on my Tacoma. Must be manufactured by the same company. While I like it and it seems to function well, the revolver2 would probably be the one I'd go with in the after market, It has a flush design..
I like the ford logo on the one from factory, even though I'm not 7' tall to be able to see it.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The other thing that's going to get some getting use to is the 10 speed tranny. Boy does that thing like to shift a lot...

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It's nice when getting on it tho, It raps those gears off nicely. Use your left paddle shifter when in sport mode and loc out 8 9 and 10 unless your gonna be doing 70+ for long distances. If you do decide to go higher speed snap off one more gear with the right paddle shifter. Those paddles are a useful tool.

ARS1

GT350 Member H2678
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's nice when getting on it tho, It raps those gears off nicely. Use your left paddle shifter when in sport mode and loc out 8 9 and 10 unless your gonna be doing 70+ for long distances. If you do decide to go higher speed snap off one more gear with the right paddle shifter. Those paddles are a useful tool.
I honestly haven't even used the paddles yet! It's getting pretty good MPG's though already compared to the 6.2 that thing was a hog for sure. Is everyone running 93 in yours? I was surprised that it doesn't say min 91 in the gas door :shrug: Then again it is an Ecoturd :lol: I can say that now because I have one!!!

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm running 91 and would run 93 premium if we had it here. I may dump 93 with 10% ethanol in it after the first oil change. Right now I'm happy with the 91. seems to do well

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
A buddy just got back from an offroading event in the U.P. last weekend with his 17 Raptor. It performed flawlessly and tore through the snow with ease. However, the sound..the exhaust note is just plain horrible compared to the 6.2. I hope the aftermarket has a cure.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
There will be no cure, thats about as good as its gonna get. I welcome being able to hear my passengers talking and the radio. Too many trucks with loud ass exhausts that their performance can't back up. Would be different if it was a weekend toy for sure.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
A buddy just got back from an offroading event in the U.P. last weekend with his 17 Raptor. It performed flawlessly and tore through the snow with ease. However, the sound..the exhaust note is just plain horrible compared to the 6.2. I hope the aftermarket has a cure.
You have to have a disease to need a cure. This Raptor is not the old one, and in no way, short of a v8 transplant, will it be.

It outperforms the 6.2L in every way. If sound is your limiting factor, this truck isn't for you.

Sponsored

Blue Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZL1 1LE, GT350, Ford RS, F350 Dually, Explorer
You have to have a disease to need a cure. This Raptor is not the old one, and in no way, short of a v8 transplant, will it be.

It outperforms the 6.2L in every way. If sound is your limiting factor, this truck isn't for you.
So exactly how much Raptor seat time do you have??? I've been all over the U.S and half of the 50k miles on my truck are from offroad. Share your wealth of Raptor wisdom with me please.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
So exactly how much Raptor seat time do you have??? I've been all over the U.S and half of the 50k miles on my truck are from offroad. Share your wealth of Raptor wisdom with me please.
Nah, mine's bigger than yours.

Does it matter?... if you're going to diss the truck because of sound then it's not the truck for you. There are the Gen1 purists who worship the 6.2L and there will be Gen2 purists who worship the 3.5L... and then there are those who are ambiguous to it all because they value performance whether it's a 6 or 8 cyl.

Which are you?

I adore both...

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Im pretty sure both with mall crawl just fine!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
There is no question that performance is a large part of the equation when it comes to purchasing a high performance car or truck but with all due respect to all on this forum if an impressive exhaust note is not an important part of this same equation then count me out.

Not only does any HP V6 sound poor to me but so does the V10 in the Viper and I have been around a lot of Vipers of late and they just sound terrible IMO.

One of the reasons that I really enjoy my Boss 302's and GT350/GT350R's in addition to their great performance is because of their outstanding exhaust note and these cars are only second to the Jaguar F Type R in exhaust note as I have driven one of them recently as well.

Also just recently I had the opportunity to spend a day in a 2006 Ford GT and cannot say enough about the performance of that 5.4L V8 and just importantly the exhaust note right behind the drivers seat.

Certainly no disrespect to the new 2017/2018 Ford GT as it is something else from a performance standpoint but this new supercar will not sound anywhere near as good as the 2005/2006 Ford GT's.

There are a lot of very fast cars out there particularly many European and Japanese brands such as the new NSX, GTR or even the new Ford GT but no one can tell me that the exhaust note of a HP 4/6/10 sounds nearly as good as an old or new high performance American V8.

Just my opinion.

:cheers:
Sponsored