Sponsored

Any current or previous 01 Cobra owners???

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Hello guys and girls. Looking for some feedback from the community. I am currently in a situation where a reduction in car payment may be a necessity. I contemplated a base Focus ST for a reduction of about 150.00 a month. But every time I find my self about to go through with it I cant picture myself no longer in a mustang for such small savings. 150.00 a month certainly wont solve my problems. Then I got to thinking what if I can save a lot more an still stay in a stang? I first looked at used Terminators. However the money they cost for the condition I would want one in still doesn't provide me any real savings. Then I started thinking maybe an 01??? They can be found at a fair price in good condition, I can save a pretty decent amount of money and still be in a Mustang that is a little unique. But I dont know much about them besides what I read on wiki. Any input from you guys would be invaluable. Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sick03L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Mustang Premium Automagic
I had a 99 w a 03 body package.. mehhh. Mach 1 looks better if the motor is all your after. Interior is just cheap.. rattles... you'll be heart broken if you compare it to your 15+

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
'01 Cobra's were part of the series which had the infamous power issue, where they weren't making the advertised power due to the intake manifold I believe. I think it was all fixed by '00 but it kind of tainted that series of Cobras. Surprising thing about that car is the tail light. They are unique, expensively unique, $300+. The standard GT and all the others had a white light in the bottom interior of the tail light, while the 99-01 Cobra's had a yellow light across the bottom along with the white light.

I'd do a Mach I over that Cobra, but realistically I couldn't go back to that interior after owning the later S-197s and S550s. The Focus/Fiesta ST would be more practical, better interior, and are very fun to drive.

Last edited:
OP
OP
redline727

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the input guys, the Focus seems like the way to go. I can get into a base ST for 22k and 0% interest for 72 months before taxes and any negative equity I may have using USAA car buying service. And like mentioned be in a brand new car car. I was just trying to stay in a mustang and it be some what unique. Maybe better off in the Focus ST for a few years till the wife will go back to work and my son is in school, I can back in a Mustang again.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Go for a drive in it, the exhaust will definitely be something you miss from the 5.0L but it is quite fun to drive and returns pretty good gas mileage.

Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
'03-04 Mach 1 all day over the '01 Cobra.

I will always regret trading mine in.

OP
OP
redline727

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
I never really looked at the Mach and how they are priced. I will definitely look into them as well before i make any decisions. Ultimately I am trying to find a way to stay in my car lol but its time to see what numbers would be like if I need to drop my GT...Looks like the Focus would save me about 150.00 payment and a little more with insurance. One variable with getting an older Mustang would be not having 0% interest for 72 months. Which I currently have on my Mustang and can get on the Focus ST

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I DD a Focus (SE) which is far from a ST, but Im not a huge fan of it and am just waiting to get out of this lease and turn it in. Apples to oranges but I need something with more room.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
As much as I love the New Edge Cobra, I would be hard pressed to drive one as a DD. Weekend car, I would recommend it all day due to the rawness and lack of refinement the chassis provides. That just isn't something I would want in a daily as I get older. A Focus ST sounds like a good compromise for enjoyment and practicality.
Sponsored