Sponsored

Another engine oil thread ... What do you use?

Which brand of engine oil do you use?

• Total voters

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Ill be using 5w30 ss amsoil until its turbo then ill be using 5w40. Ill be using the EA011 filter on both grades.
Sponsored

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
AMSOIL isn't as popular, but their products are top notch. They'll never be able to outsell Mobil, Penzoil, etc who market like crazy. their distribution channel is almost much smaller, but like I said their fluids never leave anyone disappointed.
My dad had a 95 Silverado he sold a few years ago that had amsoil from day 1. It had 240k on it when sold, and the only thing ever done to that engine was a water pump replacement. I think he told me every 12k miles he changed the filter and added a quart.

I use Mobil 1 extended in my Tacoma. It's over 140k trouble free. I mostly run synthetic because I'm lazy and want love get oil change intervals.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT M6 performance pack, whipple charged
Will my oil life indicator take longer to turn on with this oil or will I just have to ignore it alittle longer? How long do you guys leave the Amsoil in there? Notice any oil consumption?

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
I'm about to pull the trigger on Amsoil signature series 5w20 and their extended life oil filter. Thoughts anyone? I'm getting 25%off whole purchase but gotta pay 10 for shipping. I haven't seen an oil analysis on signature series Amsoil. Synthetic. This would be second oil change. Used motor craft synthetic blend on first one. Doesn't burn any oil. Debating if I should change
Do it.

lucasszy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lucas
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT - 6MT
Will my oil life indicator take longer to turn on with this oil or will I just have to ignore it alittle longer? How long do you guys leave the Amsoil in there? Notice any oil consumption?
I Always did 5k with daily commuting in my Porsche and bmw

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Oil consumption is based on how well your rings seated. All oil weights are not the same thickness even if the weights are the same, despite what others think. Ignore the indicator. How long it should or shouldnt be left in is up to the individual. Maximum miles is 15,000 or one year. I do 5k or one year.

lxh89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT - Whipple Auto
The oil life indicator is calibrated to Motorcraft 5w20; therefore, only driving conditions will influence it.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to pull the trigger shortly. Have any of you guys got any of the other perks it's mentions from being the preffered customer? I also didn't see that they offer any tranny oil. Or did I miss it?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to pull the trigger shortly. Have any of you guys got any of the other perks it's mentions from being the preffered customer? I also didn't see that they offer any tranny oil. Or did I miss it?
Buy it by the gallons. Specifically the case of 4. Its two oil changes and cheaper. Youll have 4 qts left over after the case. After your second case of 4 gallons youll have another 4. Boom you now have enough for another oil change. Also buy at least 2 filters per case of 4 gallons. If you can afford it buying a case of filters is cheaper long term. You missed it
https://www.amsoil.com/offers/pc.aspx

Also do the cheapest 6 month membership (which is why you buy a case for 4, 1 gallon containers. You only have one chance to buy it, which is before the yearly membership. Just my opinion on how to do it.

Last edited:

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This time around I just went with the 2 gallons. I just bought them. Got the filter. It says it's good for 15k. Would you guys think it's a bad idea to.change oil and not filter just once since this one is guaranteed to last that long. Next few months I'll buy the gallon case when budget permits.

Last edited:

Sponsored

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
The oil life indicator is calibrated to Motorcraft 5w20; therefore, only driving conditions will influence it.
It's not calibrated to anything other than a rough calculation of what your average daily driver is. Me? I'm not letting Motorcraft synthetic blend sit in my engine for 10K miles.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
I posted before about using quaker state full synthetic but figured id throw in some Pennzoil Platinum this time since it was maybe a dollar more for a 5qt jug.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
This time around I just went with the 2 gallons. I just bought them. Got the filter. It says it's good for 15k. Would you guys think it's a bad idea to.change oil and not filter just once since this one is guaranteed to last that long. Next few months I'll buy the gallon case when budget permits.
The filter is definitely fine for two 7500 mile oil changes in a year or 3 5k oil changes. I still wouldnt keep the filter on the car any longer than 1 year though.

16s550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The filter is definitely fine for two 7500 mile oil changes in a year or 3 5k oil changes. I still wouldnt keep the filter on the car any longer than 1 year though.
Yea definitely not. I'm going to do 5 or 6k oil changes. And change filter on 2 change. Can't wait now. Hope I get in time for the weekend.

Side note. Anyone have a link to that half funnel looking thing to help not spill oil everywhere when removing oil filter. It's gonna be first time changing on s550. Last time paid. Gonna do myself from now on.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Yea definitely not. I'm going to do 5 or 6k oil changes. And change filter on 2 change. Can't wait now. Hope I get in time for the weekend.

Side note. Anyone have a link to that half funnel looking thing to help not spill oil everywhere when removing oil filter. It's gonna be first time changing on s550. Last time paid. Gonna do myself from now on.
http://www.formafunnel.com/general_purpose

Its better to get the larger size in this link
Sponsored