Sponsored

Another broken Voodoo

MikeR397

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford GT350R & Raptor; Ferrari 360, Aston Martin Vantage, Porsche Cayenne GTS, Jaguar XFR
The debris in the pan is almost certainly from the broken rod banging around in the block and chewing up the bearings. It's exceedingly unlikely that the debris is the cause of the broken rod.

I highly doubt changing oil early and often would prevent his kind of failure.
thank you for your sanity!

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Thank you! Of course I would follow said manual when the car arrives (week 3 of waiting for a VIN) but was just wondering if there was any sage advice for a noob
Have you read everything and every link in the GT350 Basics sticky?

anacar312

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
HEP R Chassis LR268
Have you read everything and every link in the GT350 Basics sticky?
I thought I had.... was not finding it so I thought I would reach out to the community....

UpTop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Am broke
While I agree with those saying just read the manual, I think it's worth clarifying a bit since you will read a lot of crazy stuff on here, including everyone's special and unique interpretations of what the manual says, when it really doesn't say a whole lot. Let's quickly review:

In the manual:
-vary your engine speed
-avoid extended wide open throttle maneuvers

Not in the manual:
-Limiting RPMs
-avoiding wide open throttle entirely, for even short periods of time
-driving it like a hoveround
-putting the car on casters and pushing it to your local cars and coffee just to be safe

***You can bet your first born that if the engineers and warranty bean counters at Ford thought anything else was bad for your engine during break-in they would have said so, these are the same people that feel the need to warn you not to adjust the steering wheel while driving, and dedicate two entire pages to checking your coolant, their job is to assume we're all knuckle-dragging idiots***

And after 100 miles just avoid trackdays, that's it. That's the break-in procedure.

Your only job during break-in is to seat the piston rings. This is a race engine. Use the rev range, accelerate and decelerate frequently.

I found that setting the car to sport helped with break-in, because normal mode feels more like an automatic, the car doesn't slow down much at all off-throttle without using the brakes.

Really the only other important thing to remember, which applies all the time: always wait for the oil to hit normal operating temps, around 200 before pushing the engine! Luckily you will have a handy gauge for that right smack in the middle of the dash.
So basically 100miles of light canyon carving (no pedal mashing).

My buddy did 150 miles of break in, oil change, and bam non stop track days. Currently at 5k miles without any issues. Seems like 100miles break in + frequent oil changes is a good strategy. I'm not going to be doing a track day so soon, but I will open it up after the first oil change.

Sponsored

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
If Ford was really worried about the break in redline issue, they would put a limiter on it at 6000rpm and tell you to come back to the dealer for a first service at 1000miles like all the big dog euro bike manufacturers do. The reality is the gt350 is an oddball engine and i don’t think Ford has ever really got its production down right, don’t kid yourself this isn’t gt3 levels of screw up but They really should of fixed these issues by 2017 MY. Why is oil consumption still an issue and why is it acceptable at all. Even hardcore racing engines don’t use 1 quart in 1000 miles unless raced. Why are we still having random engines failure and nobody has a clue as too why

This all tells you that the gt350 is the last of its breed and it’s really sad because nothing would make me happier then Ford go nuts and make a real sequel engine with DI, real twin manifolds, higher compression. But it’ll never happen

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
If Ford was really worried about the break in redline issue, they would put a limiter on it at 6000rpm and tell you to come back to the dealer for a first service at 1000miles like all the big dog euro bike manufacturers do. The reality is the gt350 is an oddball engine and i don’t think Ford has ever really got its production down right, don’t kid yourself this isn’t gt3 levels of screw up but They really should of fixed these issues by 2017 MY. Why is oil consumption still an issue and why is it acceptable at all. Even hardcore racing engines don’t use 1 quart in 1000 miles unless raced. Why are we still having random engines failure and nobody has a clue as too why

This all tells you that the gt350 is the last of its breed and it’s really sad because nothing would make me happier then Ford go nuts and make a real sequel engine with DI, real twin manifolds, higher compression. But it’ll never happen
Your spot on on the voodoo but get ready to get slammed on here since this is a GT350 forum and you have a GT.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Getting slammed for telling truth is normal in this day and age, and you know what? its worth it!!

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
i haven’t had a mustang in years lmfao
So why are you hanging around here?
I do agree with you about the redline limiter. My last 2 corvettes had that feature.

BTW, my 2019 hasn't burned a drop in 1800 miles. Won't do an oil change till 2000 and then every 5 K afterwards. And , NO, I don't baby the car. No reason to change the oil as frequently as others have said, unless you're doing track days. If there are shavings in your filter after break-in, something is going wrong in your engine. No frequency of oil changes is gonna prevent it. Just my opinion.

Sponsored

Davesvt2000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
6600 miles so far on mine, with 4 track days, not a drop of oil used.

did first oil change at 1000 miles, second after first two track days, will prob do next oil change in the spring after car comes out of winter storage.

Gogoggansgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Then why does it say 2015 Mustang GT under vehicles?At least I did have both a 16 and 17 Shelby GT 350 new.
Old account and this forum is actually always got good content.
Sponsored