Sponsored

Android Auto

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
This reminds me of the same old crap I dealt with on my MFT Sync 2 system. I bought my car in Feb 2015. GT Premium. Dealer had these advertisements hanging from the rearview on the GT Premium in the showroom. It had something to do with being able to stream/control certain apps from your phone, through the 8" touchscreen. Can't remember what it was called, maybe Sync Apps or something along those lines.

Long story short, I bought the car. A couple days later I spent 30 minutes trying to get it to work. Nothing. Finally got frustrated enough to call the Sync Customer Service line. They told me that the feature is only available on the base system (what!?!) and that they're working on an update to bring it to the MFT system.

Months went by. Nothing. They basically gave up on it. Why should they care when Sync 3 was coming out...

Moral of the story is don't get your hopes up...just don't.
Sponsored

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
this is what ford posted

2016 SYNC 3 Equipped Vehicles – Apple CarPlay And Android Auto Upgrade Not Currently Available
Some owners of 2016 Ford and Lincoln vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 may inquire about upgrading to Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. This upgrade is not currently available for those vehicles. Apple CarPlay and Android Auto are currently available only on 2017 model year vehicles equipped with SYNC 3 v2.0 or later.

Hi, mind sharing where did you see Ford posting this?

Here is what boggles my mind...
1. Ford for months and months posted officially that 2016 will have AA and CP.
2. They posted on their site officially supported.
3. Sync 3 have Built in WiFi for software update. Now that in the above statement is correct, what the hell that feature will help if there is no "real" update to push ....
4. They showed AA and CP working on Sync 3 during 2015 CES... at a time that Sync3 V2 wasnt even built. So how could they demo it on Sync 3 v1 only to wait for v2 to come out and then say it wont be supported on v1.

thats that odd...
i personally waited specifically for the 2016 just so i can have Sync 3 with AA, this annoy me so much.

XDsm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I think people are just reading into the statement from Ford a little too much. They aren't saying that the 2016 Sync 3 systems will not ever get Android Auto or Car Play, they are just saying that currently it is not available for those systems, only the 2017 systems.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I think they need to update the website, it still states:

"Note: Apple CarPlay is available on 2017 model year Ford vehicles with compatible SYNC 3. Owners of 2016 model year Ford vehicles with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade to use Apple CarPlay. Please check back on the Ford Owner site this summer for more information about these upgrades."
aaaand summer is here but they say its postponed to end of the year

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Starting to remember why I've never owned a Ford before... and may never again.

Sponsored

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB

Fenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Shadow Black

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I still blame it on apple's new hardware haha
I agree, theyre probably concerned about laying on us that theyre charging for it, or theyre concerned about eating the cost lol

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
The Kia deal just makes any excuse they come up with seem asinine.

Sponsored

paulrkiii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT premium
The Kia deal just makes any excuse they come up with seem asinine.
I saw that yesterday and thought the same thing. From what I can see the Kia doesn't require the usb upgrade either.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
Android Auto was one of the items that were sold to me as a perk for not waiting for a 2017 in the specs that I wanted, and purchasing a 2016 instead. This could be considered bait and switch fraud if it isn't made available.
I feel the same exact way. This is the ONLY REASON I ordered a 2016 instead of waiting three months to order a 2017.

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
I feel the same exact way. This is the ONLY REASON I ordered a 2016 instead of waiting three months to order a 2017.
on the exact same boat... specifically got the 2016 without waiting for the exact same reason...
again ford never comment... posted on their Twitter and Facebook and my posts get deleted instantly....

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
I'll go a step further and say that the availability of android auto in the 2016 made it so I completely ruled out buying a left over 2015 Roush at a killer discount and ordered my '16.

Then again the system is shitty. I have Sirius XM, Pandora, Spotify and Slacker all installed on my phone. It's a honest to god crapshoot as to which apps the system will read every time I hop in my car. -- if any at all

Perfect example. I hop in my car in the morning and it reads Pandora and Slacker only, so despite the fact that I was listening to Spotify in the house before I left and was totally jamming to a playlist, i resigned to the fact that my Ford is garbage and listened to Slacker on my way to the doctor. Went to my appointment, and hopped in the car and funny enough the car said "resuming Slacker Radio" and then it timed out and went to FM. I click the apps shortcut on my headunit and what shows up "Spotify." Not anything else, just Spotify, wtf Ford?

Just Spotify. but not slacker, pandora or the sirius XM app. The system sucks, it's broken, it hardly ever works, and I'm sick of having to default to "Bluetooth" and handling my smartphone when driving. Totally takes away from the safety of hands-free.

So basically the new car I bought in 2005 with bluetooth and the new car I have bought in 2016 both work just fine in that if I connect with bluetooth and play through bluetooth only, I can play music. Just all the layering that 11 years of advancement and infotainment progress and mobile apps don't actually work.

You know what might be a great workaround for that? Android Auto, then I'll have nothing to bitch about. Oh wait, my car that is supposed to have Android Auto, doesn't actually have it.

Can't we sue Ford for selling us a car on the premise of it having something despite it not actually having that feature and in the case of my spouse requiring me to pay for an upgrade to have what I was promised?

Last edited:

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Can't we sue Ford for selling us a car on the premise of it having something despite it not actually having that feature and in the case of my spouse requiring me to pay for an upgrade to have what I was promised?

we should ... this is def a false advertisement and broken promises....
Sponsored