Sponsored

Am I silly for ordering a convertible in December?

olla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If thats what you want just buy it. Seriously. Cars are meant to be driven and the mustang is just another car. Now, if you don't have say a garage and you get a snow storm the vinyl may collapse/leak. But who cares.

By the time you get your car may be almost February.
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
i didn't even know they made a vinyl topped Mustang. I've had only cloth topped, and only seen cloth on the new ones.

This is my old GT, I drove it year-round. the weather made it so I had the top down every single month of the year, at least one day a year.
2013-06-07 15.36.03.jpg

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Are you silly for ordering a convertible in December? Hell yes! In Washington, D.C. You ought to order it with armored roof and doors and bullet proof glass

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
Been working with my local dealerships, and they all seem to be landing around 45k OTD for a '16 GT Convertible in the configuration I want.

2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ruby Red Metallic
Ebony Racing Stripes
Premier Trim with Color Accent Group - Redline Interior
401A
GT Performance Package
Reverse Sensing System
Voice Activated Navigation
MSRP: $49,190

Also regarding price, It seems a bit high, even if it's about in line with X-Plan.

One quoted me $41,653 before TTL, and 45k OTD.
Another initially was around 45.5k w/ X-Plan before TTL. I told them of the other dealership, and they said they could get around 45k OTD. I still feel that it's a little high.

They would have to order this car. Any thoughts from others?
Danielle, I've followed your story, and I am glad to hear you are getting the new car you have been wanting. I pray that you have been feeling well.

IMO, and speaking as an ex-audio design engineer, I would nix the 401a, and put that $1800 into aftermarket audio upon reading DIY threads here. And possibly the stripes, and instead consider adding your own personal touch in graphics later. So that allows you to postpone some of the expense. You will certainly be glad you ordered RPA, Nav, and Premier trim.

It should be a beautiful car. IMO, the convertible and Ruby combine for a very classy look, and I fail to see how stripes help. (On my yellow car I considered them a must-have bc it was too plain without them.)

As for convertible in winter, you did not specify if the car must live outside. If so, just get a $200 car cover and that will save you time brushing off snow and ice.

Rock on diva!

Voo Doo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ric
Vehicle(s)
2019 BULLITT DHG
So let me see.....if you wait til Jan or Feb......won't you still get snow next winter?? No brainier, it seems you love the vert! Go for it. I'm more than happy with our 401A! What can you hear with the top down and that lovely engine sound anyway???!

Sponsored

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
Been working with my local dealerships, and they all seem to be landing around 45k OTD for a '16 GT Convertible in the configuration I want.

2016 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
Ruby Red Metallic
Ebony Racing Stripes
Premier Trim with Color Accent Group - Redline Interior
401A
GT Performance Package
Reverse Sensing System
Voice Activated Navigation
MSRP: $49,190

Also regarding price, It seems a bit high, even if it's about in line with X-Plan.

One quoted me $41,653 before TTL, and 45k OTD.
Another initially was around 45.5k w/ X-Plan before TTL. I told them of the other dealership, and they said they could get around 45k OTD. I still feel that it's a little high.

They would have to order this car. Any thoughts from others?
Ordering the car you want silly? No. Asking a forum if your decision is silly to order a convertible in December. Yes.

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
So let me see.....if you wait til Jan or Feb......won't you still get snow next winter?? No brainier, it seems you love the vert! Go for it. I'm more than happy with our 401A! What can you hear with the top down and that lovely engine sound anyway???!
E-X-A-C-T-L-Y

arghx7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
50 years Ecoboost
For what it's worth, I drive my manual trans Ecoboost in Michigan snow all the time (stock all season tires). It's fine. Put two sandbags in the trunk.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
IMO, and speaking as an ex-audio design engineer, I would nix the 401a, and put that $1800 into aftermarket audio upon reading DIY threads here.
I know there's a contingency of folks who aren't all that thrilled with the Shaker, but I've had some pretty high end audio over the last 20 or so years (though clearly not your professional level of experience), and it's what I'd call competent, specifically in the context of car audio. It's got decent clarity, dials in well enough, the highs have a nice bright tone, the sub is OK, the music I listen to isn't that "bass intensive" :) Voice content also sounds pretty darn good for sources like podcasts.

I'd just go OEM instead of ripping apart the car, removing panels, breaking clips, mounting amps, dealing with the complexities of an install, plus:

- In a convertible, in a muscle car (esp with an aftermarket exhaust and/or the top down), I'd suggest the additional nuance from a high end aftermarket system is a touch lost
- OEM fits nicely into the dash, and looks OEM (see next bullet)
- Aftermarket is a target for theft, and this is especially concerning in a convertible
- The system is integrated with ports, GPS, etc., that just seems like an extra set of issue points
- The HU is just going to get better as Ford releases updates, that are installable directly via the car WiFi
- 401a also includes:

• Shaker™ Pro Audio System with 12 speakers
• HD Radio™
• Driver’s seat, mirrors, and ambient lighting with memory feature
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

The memory features are very handy, and I've decided BLIS is an +outstanding+ feature.

With the typical discount, you're probably paying less than $1400-1500 for the option, it's hassle free, works on day one, includes a couple of really nice additional features, and unless you're the most hardcore, discerning audiophile, sitting in a parked car, I don't think 95% of the potential buyers would notice.

Just my marginally informed $0.02 :D

GiddyUp15

YMR Member #585
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Convertible
I ordered mine in November and got her delivered January 5th. I'm in Colorado so that was kind of silly, but I just couldn't wait!!! Turned out we had some great weather most of January and I actually got to drive her around a lot that month. February, not so much...lol

Sponsored

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Loved your old one. I was the one that bought your borlas. Any plans for the 16?

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
Loved your old one. I was the one that bought your borlas. Any plans for the 16?
The dealership will be rolling a Roush/Ford Performance Supercharger and the Ford Performance Touring Catback into the deal...

I think that might be sufficient. lol at least to start. My planned mod list is lengthy though.

Ozzmosis86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Conv. w/ PP Deep Impact Blue
The prices you mentioned are a steel, better than A plan pricing!

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

stang_man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2105 Mustang GTPP
My wife and I just got ours, mine's a GT w/ performance pack and hers is a V6 convertible...and we live in Germany. So I say go for it!

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Don't forget that the car you want to order with performance pack has summer only tires. You should change out the tires if you plan on driving it in cold weather.
Sponsored