Sponsored

Am I silly for ordering a convertible in December?

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
I know there's a contingency of folks who aren't all that thrilled with the Shaker, but I've had some pretty high end audio over the last 20 or so years (though clearly not your professional level of experience), and it's what I'd call competent, specifically in the context of car audio. It's got decent clarity, dials in well enough, the highs have a nice bright tone, the sub is OK, the music I listen to isn't that "bass intensive" :) Voice content also sounds pretty darn good for sources like podcasts.

I'd just go OEM instead of ripping apart the car, removing panels, breaking clips, mounting amps, dealing with the complexities of an install, plus:

- In a convertible, in a muscle car (esp with an aftermarket exhaust and/or the top down), I'd suggest the additional nuance from a high end aftermarket system is a touch lost
- OEM fits nicely into the dash, and looks OEM (see next bullet)
- Aftermarket is a target for theft, and this is especially concerning in a convertible
- The system is integrated with ports, GPS, etc., that just seems like an extra set of issue points
- The HU is just going to get better as Ford releases updates, that are installable directly via the car WiFi
- 401a also includes:

• Shaker™ Pro Audio System with 12 speakers
• HD Radio™
• Driver’s seat, mirrors, and ambient lighting with memory feature
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

The memory features are very handy, and I've decided BLIS is an +outstanding+ feature.

With the typical discount, you're probably paying less than $1400-1500 for the option, it's hassle free, works on day one, includes a couple of really nice additional features, and unless you're the most hardcore, discerning audiophile, sitting in a parked car, I don't think 95% of the potential buyers would notice.

Just my marginally informed $0.02 :D
If I had known that you would get BLIS with the 401a package, I would have made sure mine had it. I loved the BLIS system that was in my Edge Limited. Damn window stickers on the Mustang only showed the stereo, so I didn't know that memory seats and BLIS were also included.:frusty:
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I know there's a contingency of folks who aren't all that thrilled with the Shaker, but I've had some pretty high end audio over the last 20 or so years (though clearly not your professional level of experience), and it's what I'd call competent, specifically in the context of car audio. It's got decent clarity, dials in well enough, the highs have a nice bright tone, the sub is OK, the music I listen to isn't that "bass intensive" :) Voice content also sounds pretty darn good for sources like podcasts.

I'd just go OEM instead of ripping apart the car, removing panels, breaking clips, mounting amps, dealing with the complexities of an install, plus:

- In a convertible, in a muscle car (esp with an aftermarket exhaust and/or the top down), I'd suggest the additional nuance from a high end aftermarket system is a touch lost
- OEM fits nicely into the dash, and looks OEM (see next bullet)
- Aftermarket is a target for theft, and this is especially concerning in a convertible
- The system is integrated with ports, GPS, etc., that just seems like an extra set of issue points
- The HU is just going to get better as Ford releases updates, that are installable directly via the car WiFi
- 401a also includes:

• Shaker™ Pro Audio System with 12 speakers
• HD Radio™
• Driver’s seat, mirrors, and ambient lighting with memory feature
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with cross-traffic alert

The memory features are very handy, and I've decided BLIS is an +outstanding+ feature.

With the typical discount, you're probably paying less than $1400-1500 for the option, it's hassle free, works on day one, includes a couple of really nice additional features, and unless you're the most hardcore, discerning audiophile, sitting in a parked car, I don't think 95% of the potential buyers would notice.

Just my marginally informed $0.02 :D
You make very good points that are hard for me to argue against.

My initial plan for my 400a system is 1) measure the performance with my audio test gear, and then 2) insert a miniDSP unit to gain full control of cross points, EQ, etc. etc. So that does not cost much, and at the very least can provide overall EQ, as well as tame the "cone cry" of the stock speakers.

In fact, I very much hope that I am NOT tempted (or required) to purchase fancy speakers and/or amps to improve the sound of the stock system. And if I was, I would hope that it would be speakers only (not even tweeters), and ones that easily fit the existing holes.

Also, a self-powered trunk subwoofer is obviously needed, plus full crossover/EQ alignment with my skills and test equipment.

I plan to document my path and progress here on the forum, but that won't be real soon unfortunately. I can at least post a quick band-aid fix for the existing sytem in the meantime.

flubyu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Not silly at all - I had a 13 GT vert I drove all last year in the Northeast winters on Pirelli all seasons and it did just fine. Just picked up my 15 vert last week. Throw the top back, heat on and heated seats and you'll enjoy it all year round lol

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
Get the car. Get the 401A. As one of those who has Shaker issues in my car, I've been following the issue closely and can't recall complaints regarding the 2016. I know Ford has a different amp for the 16. BLIS and memory seats are terrific. MaskedRacerX is a wise man. Getting the car now will insure you won't be longing for it when those beautiful spring days suddenly appear. Oh, and that color is stunning!

Sponsored

Houn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible Ingot Silver
I'll mirror what several folks have already said:

1) That's a good price.
2) Go ahead and order it now (and get a jump on enjoying it fully in the spring).
3) Get the 401a package.

I ordered mine in January and had it in May. Of course, I am in sunny Southern California, so our seasons are a little different. In fact, it's 75 deg F now and I just HAD to put the top down on my lunch-time run to the mall.

While the Shaker Pro is nothing to swoon over (especially in a vert), I really like the memory seats and BLIS and use them daily. Like most verts, there are some definite blind spots if the mirrors aren't set perfectly, and the BLIS does give some extra Warm and Fuzzy comfort.

I am jealous that you '16 buyers get the PP as an option. We early birds have to build-out those features after-market (at least we will when vendors start making components that fit the verts).

Anyway, Enjoy! Rick

mikef523

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang eco, 17 explorer, 17 Jaguar F-Pace
Why not? You are going to keep the car for more than nine months aren't you? So, eventually it will see cold inclement weather anyway.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
I ordered my convertible on 31 Dec 2014. I didn't get delivery 'til mid-April and all of the snow was gone and air temps were mid-50's.

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
Car has been ordered.
Ford Performance/Roush Supercharger and Touring Catback will be going on the car as part of the deal.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Car has been ordered.
Ford Performance/Roush Supercharger and Touring Catback will be going on the car as part of the deal.
Delivered new, with a supercharger, that is _so_ badass :D

Though financially speaking, it does make sense, heck, now that I'm thinking about it, my deal was good enough that another $8-10K for a supercharger, exhaust and install wouldn't have been much of a hit on the final numbers.

I guess I have something to look forward to later. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
TheDivaDanielle

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
Just learning from regrets on my last Mustang purchase.
Sponsored