Sponsored

Air Conditioning

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
So recently, on a couple longer trips (2-3 hours) my A/C has started to act up. Most recently after about an hour, my wife had the temp up at like 74 on her side, with my side set to 70. I had the seat a/c on as well. It started to feel pretty warm in there, so i reduced the temp on my side. No matter how low i moved it (or moved my wife's down) the A/C never kicked in beyond the extremely low fan speed it was on. We futzed around, turning it to the LO setting at which point you could HEAR a lot of air, but it sounded like it was all behind the console or something. Eventually, we stopped for gas and it seemed to start working normally again. I've also had some odd smells coming from the ac a couple times.

Has anyone else experienced this? Should i take it in?
Sponsored

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
Sounds like the evaporator froze up, blocking air flow over it. When you stopped for gas, the ice melted and thus allowed air to flow across the evaporator again. This is not uncommon with any car's AC in a very hot and humid environment such as Florida.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Sounds like the evaporator froze up, blocking air flow over it. When you stopped for gas, the ice melted and thus allowed air to flow across the evaporator again. This is not uncommon with any car's AC in a very hot and humid environment such as Florida.
Thanks. is there something i can do that will resolve it, aside from stopping for awhile? Just turning it off for a couple minutes?

turbohvn

Turbohvn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Fastback GT PP
Again, not uncommon with high heat and humidity areas and especially on long trips. This is actually an indicator that your AC is working efficiently. The solution is, when you notice a reduction in airflow out the vents, turn the AC off, but leave the fan running. As the ice blockage on the evaporator melts, the airflow out the vents will increase and once flow feels normal, turn the AC back on. Also run AC on recirc so it is recycling "dryer" air than is outside the car.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Again, not uncommon with high heat and humidity areas and especially on long trips. This is actually an indicator that your AC is working efficiently. The solution is, when you notice a reduction in airflow out the vents, turn the AC off, but leave the fan running. As the ice blockage on the evaporator melts, the airflow out the vents will increase and once flow feels normal, turn the AC back on. Also run AC on recirc so it is recycling "dryer" air than is outside the car.
Thanks!

Sponsored

SWETRID

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 California Special
Ford has a special service message out.

SSM 45702 - 2015-2016 F150, Mustang, Transit - No Airflow From Climate Control Vents - Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Seized And/Or Stuck
Some 2015-2016 F150, Mustang and Transit vehicles may have a concern of no airflow from the climate control vents. This may be caused by a seized or sticking A/C clutch. This can be repaired by replacing only the A/C clutch (19D786/19D784). The compressor assembly (19703) may not be required. Refer to Workshop Manual,Section 412-00 for A/C clutch removal. It may be necessary to lightly tap around the stuck area of the clutch with a rubber mallet to free it from the pulley for removal. Refer to applicable labor operations from Section 11 of the SLTS manual when replacing the A/C clutch.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 - 2016 TRUCK: FC P552 F150
2015 - 2016 CAR: ZG MUSTANG (S550)
2015 - 2016 TRUCK: TH TRANSIT V363 FNA
2015 - 2016 TRUCK: 00029 F-SERIES LD
2015 - 2016 CAR: 00071 MUSTANG
2015 - 2016 TRUCK: 00213 TRANSIT

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
In case this isn't already a known issue, turns out the above was due to a part that was leaking. The issue got worse and worse until it pretty much stopped working. Getting it fixed next week. I was told it's become pretty common problem recently. Just FYI in case anyone else is experiencing it.

NolaJo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic/Saddle
I'm having the exact same issue. Started with an odd smell coming from the vents. Now I've noticed the air coming from the driver side vents is warmer than the passenger side. And I get the same thing as you where you can hear the air but it's just not strong blowing out. Time to take it to the dealer.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
An air conditioning system should not freeze up at the evaporator. Evaporators freeze up because of, faulty metering device, not enough air flow across the coil, or a low refrigerant charge. And a low refrigerant charge is because of, someone at the factory didn't do their job at properly charging the system, or you have a leak.

Sponsored

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
Sounds like some of you have blend door trouble. When switching between systems and vents, leave the blower on low and wait 30 seconds or so and then see what happens.

OP
OP

defdans

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
An air conditioning system should not freeze up at the evaporator. Evaporators freeze up because of, faulty metering device, not enough air flow across the coil, or a low refrigerant charge. And a low refrigerant charge is because of, someone at the factory didn't do their job at properly charging the system, or you have a leak.
It was a leak, ford dealer confirmed that. Said there was a rash of repairs on these and thus the part was on backorder. Hence the reason its getting fixed next week. They were able to recharge it in the mean time and its been working fine until then.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I will assume the leak is in the evaporator. They probably have to remove the dash to replace it. You should talk to the service manager and get the most competent mechanic to do that job. I don't want to give you an anxiety attack or anything but you certainly don't want any squeaks or rattles afterwards. They had to do this to my 2013 F-150. Got a good mechanic and all is well.

SK GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT(sold), 17 1LE
Sigh. Just went and got a haircut. On the way home with the air on max it's blowing almost hot air out of the vents. Tried different settings to kickstart the clutch with no improvement. Turned the car off and back on and same thing.

Pao_Silverstang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carlo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost performance package
It happened to me today. The driver side is only blowing hot air with temp in the lowest setting while the passenger side is blowing cold air. Tried to turn the car on and off. Still no luck. Any guys having the same issue? Thanks.
Sponsored