Sponsored

AC Compressor going out?

2016_Dark_Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium | Shadow Black
I started the car up this morning and the fans kicked on as usual but then I heard a much louder sound (in person it sounds like compressed air being quickly released). I shut the AC off to test if that was the culprit and the sounds is nowhere to be found. I took video of it briefly this morning. You can hear the abnormal sound at the 1 second and 13 second mark. You can hear the normal click of the compressor at the 6 second and 17 second mark.

Taking it into Ford Thursday, would love to hear if anyone knows more about this or has first hand experienced so I can inform the tech on what it is and possibly make sure they have parts in stock. Appreciate the help fellows =)

Sponsored

Last edited:

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
I can't access YouTube at work, but I wish I could! I have a 15 GT and under NORMAL operation, I expect a slight "hiccup" in the idle when the compressor engages due to the added load, and possibly some noise from the clutch engaging. I'm getting the OPPOSITE. When the clutch DISENGAGES, the engine kinda "sneezes" and has a quick drop in idle along with a noise almost like a backfire through the intake. Is that what yours sounds like?

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
My AC bogs the engine down a lot more than any car I've ever been in, especially if you start the car up and it tries to do its warm up sequence and the AC just throws it all off. Clearly something is amiss with these cars' AC systems. I swear mine is connected to the clutch somehow - I get more clutch noise when the AC is on!

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine bogs when the AC cuts off. That's what's causing my confusion.

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My theory is, the AC clutch lets go, and the harmonic balancer isn't absorbing the momentum of the load being released from the rotating assembly, forcing the engine to mechanically advance the timing, in turn resulting in blow back through the intake... seem plausible?

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Sounds like the compressor is quick cycling, which might be an indication you're loosing AC charge ... possible evaporator leak issue like so many others in the hot regions of the country are seeing?

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine isn't quick cycling, the only thing keeping me from putting it in for warranty diagnosis is that I don't have a car to drive in the mean time. This morning I swore I heard a ticking too, while I was sitting in the drive thru.

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
Greetings from across the pond, guys. Mine (EB 2015) had the same trick with idle since the Pony came out new from dealer (now one year old and 19,000 kms, about 12,000 mi) .

I noticed several times to the Ford Service that every time I switched on the A/C with the engine well warmed up, idle dropped off. Finally after one year, evaporator failed. Waiting for arrival of replacement evaporator, of course, on backorder...:tsk:

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Greetings from across the pond, guys. Mine (EB 2015) had the same trick with idle since the Pony came out new from dealer (now one year old and 19,000 kms, about 12,000 mi) .

I noticed several times to the Ford Service that every time I switched on the A/C with the engine well warmed up, idle dropped off. Finally after one year, evaporator failed. Waiting for arrival of replacement evaporator, of course, on backorder...:tsk:
Mine has right around 12k miles on it as well, but it's not an idle drop, it's almost like a backfire through the intake, and unfortunately, it's not constant nor consistent. Today, it's been fine.

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
Mine has right around 12k miles on it as well, but it's not an idle drop, it's almost like a backfire through the intake, and unfortunately, it's not constant nor consistent. Today, it's been fine.
In my case, this drop in idle occurs only when you swith on the A/C for the very fist time after the engine is on service temperature. If you get it on without reving the engine, for sure the idle will fall below the minimum750rpm ceiling, but it will happen only once, I mean, if you switch on the A/C after it has been already on service, nothing will happen and idde will remain normal, without any drop or oscillation.

Then, although the A/C may have been running, if you get the car off for a while (so the engine does not cool completely and remains still warm, lets say 40 minutes or so) then you start the engine, wait until the idle stabilizes at 750 rpm an turn on the A/C. It will happen again, idle will drop...! :mad:

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
In my case, this drop in idle occurs only when you swith on the A/C for the very fist time after the engine is on service temperature. If you get it on without reving the engine, for sure the idle will fall below the minimum750rpm ceiling, but it will happen only once, I mean, if you switch on the A/C after it has been already on service, nothing will happen and idde will remain normal, without any drop or oscillation.

Then, although the A/C may have been running, if you get the car off for a while (so the engine does not cool completely and remains still warm, lets say 40 minutes or so) then you start the engine, wait until the idle stabilizes at 750 rpm an turn on the A/C. It will happen again, idle will drop...! :mad:
What's the idle drop to? Any time the compressor kicks on you will hear a slight change in the idle speed of the engine for a few seconds while it's idling. That's pretty typical for any vehicle.

garbancillo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MUSTANG GT 10R80
What's the idle drop to? Any time the compressor kicks on you will hear a slight change in the idle speed of the engine for a few seconds while it's idling. That's pretty typical for any vehicle.
Yep...the trouble is that it is not a slight change, but a drop of about, let's say, 300 rpm, the engine almost stall. When it hapens, idle hesitates around 500 rpm only. It does it for a few seconds and then recovers. Sometimes idle is not competely stabilized after it happens, you may see the rev counter pointer slightly oscillating around 750 rpm up and down. That's matter!

A couple of times, the car has done so even when the the A/C had been running already for about 20 minutes, not at the time of switching on the compressor. Just on stoppnig at a traffic red light, while waiting for green (and therefore, being the engine at idle), it began to "stumble" around the usual idle level, 750 rpm. And again, drop off for a few seconds (3 secs or so), recovery and a slight idle hesitation aroung 750-800 rpm thereafter.

It only happens when the A/C is running, If it's not, everyting goes smooth.
At the workshop, Ford technicians have no idea about WTF is causing idle to behave like this, seems to be something related to evaporator as it finally has failed too, but prior to that, all seemed to be Ok: MAF sensor, crankshaft sensor, throttle body, etc.

Ivan_s550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt PP Magnetic Metallic
I started the car up this morning and the fans kicked on as usual but then I heard a much louder sound (in person it sounds like compressed air being quickly released). I shut the AC off to test if that was the culprit and the sounds is nowhere to be found. I took video of it briefly this morning. You can hear the abnormal sound at the 1 second and 13 second mark. You can hear the normal click of the compressor at the 6 second and 17 second mark.

Taking it into Ford Thursday, would love to hear if anyone knows more about this or has first hand experienced so I can inform the tech on what it is and possibly make sure they have parts in stock. Appreciate the help fellows =)

Have you had them check your ac clutch? Mine has melted 3 times and came apart. As well as when I shift, the spring valve makes almost like a supercharger wine. I’ve had my compressor replaced about 4x along with the evaporator. Our cars are complete garbage. As a matter of fact my car is at ford again for about the 27-30th time in 5 years. Same problem over and over again. Have them check that as a start. Hope this helps. Follow me on ig : @jettim3

GT-SV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT premium
16 GT w/63K miles, just had compressor and evaporator replaced under Ford warranty (this is the 2nd time evap replaced under warranty).

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
16 GT w/63K miles, just had compressor and evaporator replaced under Ford warranty (this is the 2nd time evap replaced under warranty).
"Under Ford Warranty" as in the Ford ESP? Hopefully you won't have to go back for a 3rd EVAP replacement...
Sponsored