Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, can't make that decision for you since Sync 3 is factory level equipment, but you'd probably make a bit of money swapping to this one.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
[MENTION=30139]nancy[/MENTION] I set it up to be wireless via tethering/hotspot :ninja:
[MENTION=23177]5pointOh[/MENTION] capacitive, no hard jabbing at the screen to get it to respond at all, I've had a few missed touches here and there, but I attribute that to my finger being off due to the reach instead of it being inaccurate
damn, got super excited lol

You mentioned something about the quick boot and regular boot, do you mean if you dont leave the car off for very long and the headunit still pulls power to keep its memory alive? like hibernating a laptop vs turning it off?

Also, let us know about the back up camera and if it works before boot up!

Thanks!

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
The app I used for Android Auto is supposed to support USB connection too, but I prefer the wireless aspect instead because most of my drives are 5-15 minutes and I don't want to be plugging in all the time (wear on the USB port of my phone, ugly cable sitting in the car). I could give it a try later if I get some time, but that's not my ideal use case.

This morning (~9 hours left alone) it booted right up and backup cam was ready immediately. My normal morning routine to go to work is to remote start the car about 30 seconds before I leave, walk out, finish starting car, instantly back up, and drive off.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
The app I used for Android Auto is supposed to support USB connection too, but I prefer the wireless aspect instead because most of my drives are 5-15 minutes and I don't want to be plugging in all the time (wear on the USB port of my phone, ugly cable sitting in the car). I could give it a try later if I get some time, but that's not my ideal use case.

This morning (~9 hours left alone) it booted right up and backup cam was ready immediately. My normal morning routine to go to work is to remote start the car about 30 seconds before I leave, walk out, finish starting car, instantly back up, and drive off.
well android auto actually uses the processing power of the phone, and I dont believe that is supported via wifi/bluetooth yet. Just wondering for those long drives or to save some battery on my phone, most of the time i will probably go wireless as well, but just wondering what the capabilities are.

So this morning when it booted right up, did you remote start your car or did you start it when you got in and it booted up right away? Im surprised that the headunit is drawing power from the battery after 9 hours off time, that must kill your battery

Sponsored

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Haha, can't make that decision for you since Sync 3 is factory level equipment, but you'd probably make a bit of money swapping to this one.
We will see, I havent installed it yet(still waiting on some parts) but I do like having native android as the OS instead of having to use car-play or AA.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Android Auto is going through an app called Headunit Reloaded, the dev figured out how to get it to work via WiFi. You can still plug the phone in to charge, just haven't tried via USB only.

I remote started the car and I don't think it's drawing power that whole time (how would it? It uses stock connections for power).

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
Threw on another launcher to see how it worked, here's a peak at that with the live visualizer.
thanks for the reviews and info! i like that launcher which one is it? can you change whats in the center circle area, for instance a maps window or something like that?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
CarWebGuru, looks great to me so far although setup is a bit more cumbersome that I'd like and some things aren't editable from what I can find so far. I'm using the premium Ranger theme for that pic, but it isn't much different than the free one. You can test it out on your phone for first impressions too (or your own headunit!).

The circle says it comes with x, y, and z "by default" but doesn't let you change anything (again, that I can find). But if you tap it, it cycles between stuff like your logo (set to Ford for mine), the time, now playing album art, and another one that shows how long you've been driving/stopped/speed. No maps window, but you can replace the circle with system widgets as well - doesn't look like Google Maps has one with a map though.

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Android Auto is going through an app called Headunit Reloaded, the dev figured out how to get it to work via WiFi. You can still plug the phone in to charge, just haven't tried via USB only.

I remote started the car and I don't think it's drawing power that whole time (how would it? It uses stock connections for power).
O okay, i will have to check out the app and see how it works.

So, i have a manual so I cant remote start the car, I want to know if the back up camera turns on right away or if we have to wait the 30 seconds for the headunit to boot up.

I misinterpreted your last comment, i thought you just got in the car (no remote start) and it instantly booted up, so it was drawing power from the battery to keep the memory alive.

Sponsored

jordystang69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Lightning Blue
Threw on another launcher to see how it worked, here's a peak at that with the live visualizer.
Very nice. Was wondering if the default screen / launcher could be changed. I dislike the sync3 type.

Curious to see how iPhone tethering works. I think back on the Tesla units you had to manually toggle wifi tethering everytime as it would not auto connect. Would like to get in the car and have the unit auto connect to my iPhone hotspot.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had found the reloaded app. Youtube videos showed it being pretty laggy with things like maps. Like a slideshow. It may have been earlier in the development though.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION]
If you are able to confirm any of these...

What is feeding bluetooth audio from a phone like? Do we get the title, time and audio controls? (Basicly using as A2DP.)

How do the controls below the screen function? Can you map them to other functions?

Would also like to see some video showing boot, backup cam, switching apps and functions.

What do the Sync menus look like when you are interacting with sync? Just an overlay like stock?

Have you been able to get a USB drive working on both factory ports?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=32012]randy_tho[/MENTION]

Not a slide show for me, but I've got a Pixel instead of some old repurposed Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7.

Controls below the screen, OK goes to the home screen and the others all seem to be back/forward for songs/stations.

Can't comment on Sync menus as I removed it when I did my install (didn't want any potential conflicts between the systems, but there is a Sync "app" on the unit that I believe would interface with it.

Only the front port right now and a second run through the glove box. I think an extra cable from the factory might alleviate that issue, not 100% on that though. I think it's actually possible right now but I ran that second cable through to the glove box. Instead it might be better to plug that in between the unit and the car's plug, will have to try that down the line and no idea why I didn't think of that when I was installing. 90% sure that would work without an issue.

Any functions you'd guys want in particular for a video?

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On the video,
I'm thinking just some basic things that show it working.

1. Cold boot it on video.
2. Backup cam with trajectory.
3. Play FM radio during Nav.
4. What does an incoming call or text look like?
5. Show the buttons at the top in action: I'm guessing these are Home, Switch App, Close?, Volume or is it mute?
6. Navigate the interface. Show the phone app, A2DP in action, etc...
Sponsored