Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION] sorry but it came out as a regular install basically, seems my stereo guys tapped in at the rear deck which I wasn't sure on.

[MENTION=32012]randy_tho[/MENTION] they seem painted on to me, at least they were moving with a very brief finger picking.

I got everything in and set up on Saturday morning, but I'd say for a first time installer this would take 3-4 hours on the high end. Definitely a lot quicker once you've done it at least once.

Protip #1: just yank all the panels out. They aren't as fragile as you might think, none broke when I decided to basically rip the vent panel out.
Protip #2: don't do it at night, unless you have a well-lit area/garage to work in.
Protip #3: make sure you plug everything in (fully, most of them click in)

For the backup camera, there are two brown wires with black stripes that have to be connected (I used a small standard wire connector). Didn't figure this one out until I was all buttoned back up so I had to take things apart again. Which led to me finding out that it is all a lot easier the second time you do it.

For the USB, gray is the center storage one, black is the front one.

Going to be messing around it with it over the next few days, but so far looks way better than the previous unit and hope to have my few quirks fixed easily.

Just for kicks, this pic might make some of you happy too :clap2:
IMG_20180203_235650.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pony4us

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Did you have to modify any of the existing parts to get it to fit ?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on what you mean by modify. I didn't have to cut the case or anything, but you do have to take the circuit board out of the original radio to move over to this unit. I put the "host"/"brain" in upside down to make sure it fit without having to do anything with a metal cross brace that is in the back of the radio area. It is a close fit, but I was able to get everything in there without any modification.

overd0sed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Definitely want to buy one! Is there a release date yet and will it be limited stock?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I don't know if they've got a hard release date yet, but last I checked they were getting ready to do a bigger beta. Not sure how many units or if anything would be different than what me/HotBadgerFart have got so far, doubt it but I think we were just to make sure it installed okay and see if there were any big changes that should be made before a larger production run was made. I'd guess early stock of 20 units or so? You'd have to email him to make sure, there's a subscribe on the website too, probably planning to announce via that.

Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Does the backup camera work before system is booted?

[MENTION=29061]5.0_SD[/MENTION] sorry but it came out as a regular install basically, seems my stereo guys tapped in at the rear deck which I wasn't sure on.

[MENTION=32012]randy_tho[/MENTION] they seem painted on to me, at least they were moving with a very brief finger picking.

I got everything in and set up on Saturday morning, but I'd say for a first time installer this would take 3-4 hours on the high end. Definitely a lot quicker once you've done it at least once.

Protip #1: just yank all the panels out. They aren't as fragile as you might think, none broke when I decided to basically rip the vent panel out.
Protip #2: don't do it at night, unless you have a well-lit area/garage to work in.

For the backup camera, there are two brown wires with black stripes that have to be connected (I used a small standard wire connector). Didn't figure this one out until I was all buttoned back up so I had to take things apart again. Which led to me finding out that it is all a lot easier the second time you do it.

Going to be messing around it with it over the next few days, but so far looks way better than the previous unit and hope to have my few quirks fixed easily.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Right now it seems like there may be two routes on that...one is leaving fast boot where it (most of the time) brings the unit back up immediately (including backup camera) then does a quick boot sequence once you're going or the other where it'll do a full boot each time. Full boot is something like 20-30 seconds I'd guess, haven't timed it and I didn't try backing up with that. Should be able to get an answer on that tomorrow.

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Awesome sauce so far [MENTION=28654]Nagare[/MENTION]...a shame that they tapped the rear...I guess I may have to go that route then maybe through an LC2i to amp...we'll see.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Threw on another launcher to see how it worked, here's a peak at that with the live visualizer.
IMG_20180204_213145.jpg

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
I like that :D

Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost

is that android auto running through usb via phone?! :hail:

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Is the touchscreen resistive or capacitive?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
[MENTION=30139]nancy[/MENTION] I set it up to be wireless via tethering/hotspot :ninja:
[MENTION=23177]5pointOh[/MENTION] capacitive, no hard jabbing at the screen to get it to respond at all, I've had a few missed touches here and there, but I attribute that to my finger being off due to the reach instead of it being inaccurate

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
[MENTION=30139]nancy[/MENTION] I set it up to be wireless via tethering/hotspot :ninja:
[MENTION=23177]5pointOh[/MENTION] capacitive, no hard jabbing at the screen to get it to respond at all, I've had a few missed touches here and there, but I attribute that to my finger being off due to the reach instead of it being inaccurate
So you can pinch to zoom on maps and all that?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Yessir, tested on Google Maps and on the browser.
Sponsored