Sponsored

8" Android Head Unit Review

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Here's a photo of me backing in this morning just for you guys, distortion is from the protector I've left on so far.
IMG_20180207_083749.jpg
Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost
Here's a photo of me backing in this morning just for you guys, distortion is from the protector I've left on so far.
Wow those are nice wide parking spots, im jealous! No door dings

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Some of them are nice, some of them are a little more crowded. A few months ago someone backed right in to my front end, broke the clips, and the headlight had to be replaced. Of course they didn't come forward on their own, but I was able to catch it on the cameras thankfully!

I'm trying to decide if I want to throw on some vinyl to highlight anything a bit though (kinda like the trim on the premiums). I doubt it, but if I find some cheap enough I just might test it out. Or get some kinda deal with a forum vendor to sell something lol

Only thing I miss from my factory radio is the blue I had around it, but that will be going back on as soon as I'm 100% sure there's nothing else I want to tinker with behind it (like swapping the USB part around).

OP
OP
HotBadgerFart

HotBadgerFart

"Is it dead?"
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Some of them are nice, some of them are a little more crowded. A few months ago someone backed right in to my front end, broke the clips, and the headlight had to be replaced. Of course they didn't come forward on their own, but I was able to catch it on the cameras thankfully!

I'm trying to decide if I want to throw on some vinyl to highlight anything a bit though (kinda like the trim on the premiums). I doubt it, but if I find some cheap enough I just might test it out. Or get some kinda deal with a forum vendor to sell something lol

Only thing I miss from my factory radio is the blue I had around it, but that will be going back on as soon as I'm 100% sure there's nothing else I want to tinker with behind it (like swapping the USB part around).
I plan on looking into getting the same dual-usb cable that came with the Tesla units, which will lock-in the connection, and enable both.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
might have been covered, but does the sound mute when the backup camera comes on? i read somewhere one of the other china units did that.

Sponsored

nancy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang Ecoboost

wow, what a shitty person. Glad you caught them!

Vinyl on the interior? isnt the carbon fiber in your interior dash trim vinyl?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Mine doesn't and thank god because that'd be annoying as hell. As I get close I get the normal beeping and quieter music, but not silence the whole way.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
wow, what a shitty person. Glad you caught them!

Vinyl on the interior? isnt the carbon fiber in your interior dash trim vinyl?
My dash trim is stock on the V6, what I meant was maybe some chrome or blue along the unit. Like on the rounded parts that stick out to the left and right of the center buttons (up,down,left,right,ok) and by the HVAC knobs.

bmw9514

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EcoBeast
Is there a way to contact the person looking for beta testers for this head unit? I've been waiting on a 8" android designed unit for the S550 and have been with android since the birth of the little green fellah, and would LOVE to get my hands on this :clap2: & help the progress of this Company!

5.0_SD

Village Idiot/Biermeister
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Base Lightning Blue
Your post above should do it.

Sponsored

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My thought process was that the launcher does that animation when the home screen comes up. I was thinking the host would likely trigger the input from the backup camera when the car sensed the reverse being triggered. The animation indicates the launcher seemed aware of the camera swapping back instead of it being an os pre-execution and independent function. So I was trying to tell if the camera was basicly running off the car instead of the host.

In fewer words: Programmatic = The Android os is signalled by the cam/shifter/canbus to open and close an app depending on signal state. Instead I was hoping the host would be signalled through hardware out of band of Android to swap the video input.

[MENTION=32012]randy_tho[/MENTION] most of the time it's going to go straight into the camera because it does an instant boot then it'll do a full boot sequence once I'm going. If you wait more than (roughly) 30 seconds the boot sequence might start by then.

What do you mean by programmatic? My launcher plays the animation basically anytime you go back to it from any screen, so if I go to literally anything other than the home screen, you'll see the animation. Everything has to interface with the software somehow or another though...In one of the videos (I can't remember if it was one I uploaded or not because there were a few that got ruined for some reason or another), you can see the trajectory lines move on it. In the one I think you're referring to I'm parked at home so it was just showing the camera working is all, no wheel turn.

randy_tho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was reading in the 10" horizontal thread that some had trouble with backup camera due to the canbus adapter being defective. I guess that would be the little brick shaped device on this unit?

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a way to contact the person looking for beta testers for this head unit? I've been waiting on a 8" android designed unit for the S550 and have been with android since the birth of the little green fellah, and would LOVE to get my hands on this :clap2: & help the progress of this Company!
Based on your username, you're already set on the email list.

Randy, gotcha. It goes through the canbus which connects to the host so it must be interpreted by Android for it to display rather than completely taking over. The canbus for this unit is a small red box, it hasn't had any issue bringing up the backup cam for me. HOWEVER, I do want to note that their unit may not have been defective. You have to connect two wires for the unit to know you're in reverse and to bring up the backup cam, the other person may not have done that step so it would never work.

[email protected]

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick D
Vehicle(s)
red gt auto
If I recall the 10 horizontal had issues with the back up camera being "zoomed in"