Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Transmission - opinions from owners

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I like the stick. Its fun. Steering is another story. Normal seems to be the best mode. Sport feels weighted but artificial and unresponsive right off of center. Def. feels like it was shat out of a computer. Comfort is the ultimate parking lot/garage mode. But I would never drive with steering that vague.
Sponsored

rsmustangjr16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium Performance Pack
The transmission in the car is pretty good aside from the thud which will hopefully be mostly eliminated with the steeda rear bushing kit as well as the trans bushing. I'm used to the steering since my supercrew is also electrically assisted. Overall, it runs and drives very well.

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
So far, I've owned a 2002 v6 Camaro, 2003 mustang GT, 2007 mustang Gt, and now a 2015 Mustang GT Pp and I must say, this is the WORST feeling transmission. My favorite was the one in the 2003. Cable-linked clutch (not hydraulic) so the clutch was nice and heavy (had a stage 2 Ram) and every vibration was felt through your left leg. It didn't feel like an on/off switch like this one with no feedback whatsoever. In the 2003 I had the stock shifter and eventually put in an MGW (the install for that takes 15 mins and is done through the drivers seat completely) and even the stock shifter felt better than the current one. None of this stupid transmission thump (I find that so annoying and worrisome because no car I've owned had that). I guess Im just old-school but I hate the "artificial" (throttle, steering, clutch) feel of this car but I understand it is evolution and do appreciate the 435hp compared to the 260hp I had in my 2003.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRKHORS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
'11 Mustang, '17 Mustang, '18 F150, '23 Mustang GT
Many have stated that the dreaded "thud" from the transmission that you are hearing is drive line slack. I tend to agree as I seem to see this issue to be more prevalent at lower speeds/rpm's. The MGW shifter is on my short list of to-do items and everyone raves about how it changes the character of the transmission. And while I haven't actually removed mine yet, I did go through the forum dedicated to the clutch assist spring removal and 90% talk about how much that helps in smoothing out shifts due to better feel of the clutch engagement point.

Blackbeauty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Many have stated that the dreaded "thud" from the transmission that you are hearing is drive line slack. I tend to agree as I seem to see this issue to be more prevalent at lower speeds/rpm's. The MGW shifter is on my short list of to-do items and everyone raves about how it changes the character of the transmission. And while I haven't actually removed mine yet, I did go through the forum dedicated to the clutch assist spring removal and 90% talk about how much that helps in smoothing out shifts due to better feel of the clutch engagement point.

Very true. I've read that too. I hope to put the mgw in (after I get a few more miles on my car so I don't worry about warranty things). I also hope that the spring makes this clutch feel more "real".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Happy with the 6M. Synchros seem pretty robust and fast enough for me. Out of the box had a little "nibble" 1-2 and 2-3. Installed a Blowfish Racing bracket. Cleared most of that up. Also took out the clutch spring. After those two mods I'm really quite happy with the MT-82. It isn't quite as snickety as my dad's S2000 (the high water mark by some estimates) but is close enough that I forget about the tranny and just have fun driving. Will do a stainless clutch line and McLoud clutch at some point so that the kids fight over this thing in my will.

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Your mighty and fun stick shift might keep carjackers and car thieves away.

Reason, they can't drive a stick shift!!

Click the link and read on:

Stick shifts cut down car theft

The examples here are just the reported times that the Stick looked at the thief jumping in the car and said "you don't know me so get out!"

True enough, lots of them might know how to drive a stick shift because they are high performance cars, but I'm thinking a lot of them won't and will have to walk away or be stuck. They'll be saying "what now"?::shrug:
I never even thought of this lol. Especially since reverse is different in this car too. That would be hilarious watching a thief who didn't know how to reverse out of a parking spot lmao

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
Having a Stick might just stop a thief

That stick shift might give you lots of fun and keep some car thieves away.

Reason, they can't drive a stick shift!!

Click the link and read on:

Stick shifts cut down car theft

The examples here are just the reported times that the Stick looked at the thief jumping in the car and said "you don't know me so get out!"

True enough, lots of them might know how to drive a stick shift because Mustangs are high performance cars, but I'm thinking a lot of them won't and will have to walk away or be stuck. They'll be saying "what now"?:shrug:

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
:cheers:

Yeah, they're like "how come it won't go in gear, my foots on the brake!".

Sponsored

Cars_1959

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bert
Vehicle(s)
2012 Hyundai Genesis 3.8
I deleted and resubmitted. Had to change my signature. I'm temporarily off the "gonna get me one now" list for maybe a year.

TrackpackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT PP
Worst gear ratio choices ever IMO. Somehow, I need to keep it long enough to get a Magnum XL. I bet it's a different car altogether then.

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
Well now that i have put over 600 miles on her i can give better feedback. Its noisy and notchy sometimes but its no worse than any other manual cars i have had. The spring removal has done wonders with clutch engagement. I dont really mind the noise but some may. I do plan to change to a better fluid in the transmission. Also a shifter upgrade eventually. But no issues really so far.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I am still not quite a fan of this car's transmission. I have a GT with the performance pack. I really like the car! My only complaints are the steering (dead feeling) and the transmission. They're not bad enough for me to be unhappy with the car, but I'm wondering if I have a problem, or that's just the way the transmission is.

The clutch is good, the shift pattern is fine, but the rumbling is just truck-like sometimes. And when shifting into gear, there's a perceptible thump a lot of the time (yes, the clutch is all the way in). I've tried shifting into first at multiple RPMs, from a dead stop, sightly rolling - all kinds of variables. No matter what I do, the transmission still thumps about half the time or more.

Anyone else notice these? I have to admit I'm used to German manual transmissions, but isn't this thing a Getrag, and aren't they manufactured in Cologne? Maybe I just need to bring it in to the dealer. Figured I'd check here first though.

Rob
The 6 speeds trans is good if you're cruising at relaxed speeds and taking your time, if you get hard on the trans it can't follow your hands, it's slow and imprecise, it becomes a nightmare and it feels like breaking down at any moment.

Frankly it's crap hardware, I would had preferred for this car a better trans even if they had to add a few hundreds on the Price tag.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
main issue I have with the steering is the steering ratio is too slow, needs to be a lot quicker

Upgrade your shifter with MGW shifter + new transmission fluid + clutch spring delete and it will be taken to a whole new level
Sponsored