Sponsored

6 Speed Manual Transmission - opinions from owners

robrichtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance package
I am still not quite a fan of this car's transmission. I have a GT with the performance pack. I really like the car! My only complaints are the steering (dead feeling) and the transmission. They're not bad enough for me to be unhappy with the car, but I'm wondering if I have a problem, or that's just the way the transmission is.

The clutch is good, the shift pattern is fine, but the rumbling is just truck-like sometimes. And when shifting into gear, there's a perceptible thump a lot of the time (yes, the clutch is all the way in). I've tried shifting into first at multiple RPMs, from a dead stop, sightly rolling - all kinds of variables. No matter what I do, the transmission still thumps about half the time or more.

Anyone else notice these? I have to admit I'm used to German manual transmissions, but isn't this thing a Getrag, and aren't they manufactured in Cologne? Maybe I just need to bring it in to the dealer. Figured I'd check here first though.

Rob
Sponsored

Starman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT convertible
I don't have any issues with mine, feels like the shifter in my old S2000's.. smooth, quick and strong. I get along amazingly well 1 hour long bumper to bumper rush hour traffic traveling at an average of 5 MPH and hitting the clutch a thousand times.

The steering is perfect, I took a long 100 mile run up to Mt St Helens full of never ending awesome corners with no one else on the road at high speed and never had a complaint. Felt amazing to me.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Transmission thump is normal. I've had my car for 12-months with 24,500 miles so far, and the thump has existed since day one. When you shift at higher rpm's the thump disappears. Compared to the 2011 to 2014 models, the 2015 MT82 revision is much better.

Steering have a dead feeling, is likely tied to your wheels or tires. Which model Mustang do you have, and which wheels and tires are you running, and have you changed anything in the suspension to date?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have to admit I'm used to German manual transmissions, but isn't this thing a Getrag, and aren't they manufactured in Cologne?
Rob
Getrag, but manufactured in China.

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
I have had no issues whatsoever with my tranny. The only difference between this one and the one I had on my fox body is that this feels a lot better when shifting. The thump I have it when putting the car in first gear and this does not happen often just like it did in my fox body.

Brando

Get Some
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Red LX 331 Stroker
Yup I've got it to. Doesn't effect the performance of my car. Does kind of bug me, but it is what it is. It can be a bit notchy in colder temps but that goes away in 5 or 10 minutes.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Stock shifter is trash. Look at MGW shifter and a better shift knob, if you want to go further, remove clutch spring and put in better transmission fluid. Getting rid of the cheap plastic pull up reverse collar is another feature, MGW changes the shifter to a push down.

Sponsored

Sub-Moa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP Magnetic
Listen to ForTehNguyen. Swap to Amsoil or Royal Purple tranny fluid, get the MGW short shifter and call it a day. It's less than $500 and you will love the feel compared to stock.

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I get an intermittent thump in the drivetrain when going into first gear at a light. I have experienced this before with many other MT cars I've owned, including my 2004 Mach 1 I had before this car.

mada808

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
read thread posted above. I get the "thud" but it actually seems to be going away somewhat. I don't have it as bad as some in that thread, though.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I like mine just fine. Amsoil + Steeda trans bushing and she's running great.

OP
OP

robrichtx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT w/performance package
Thanks for the input guys - much appreciated. I'll look at changing out the fluid and the spring as well - seems like a good place to start.
Sponsored