Sponsored

5.0 Coyote vs LS3/LT1 GM engines - how do they compare?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
That's a fact that a lot of people refuse to admit..that at it's core the LS1 was a highly modernized 351/302/289.
Any idiot can see the similarities
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
awesome to know. what penalties are enforced if your engine is to wide or long ? or if it weighs 900lbs?
None. Why would you think their is a penalty for overall engine dimensions of the exterior? I cant understand why some of you people make a argument of the engines weight/ width/length. Wtf. Who cares.

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
None. Why would you think their is a penalty for overall engine dimensions of the exterior? I cant understand why some of you people make a argument of the engines weight/ width/length. Wtf. Who cares.
Because if they make the same power but one engine weighs more, than you're going to go slower in the same car.

What is up with all the love for high rpm dohc? Coming from a challenger scat pack to my mustang, I can say the 392 was way more fun when driving around the street.

It's cool that Ford gets 435 hp out of 5 L, but that's the benefit of dohc motors. I'll take an "inefficient" (volume vs hp) 392 that makes 475 lb - ft of torque and has an awesome power curve over a 5.0 dohc that has to be above 4500 rpms for me to really feel like I'm going fast.

All that being said, I still love my mustang, just wish it made a bit more torque down low.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Because if they make the same power but one engine weighs more, than you're going to go slower in the same car.

What is up with all the love for high rpm dohc? Coming from a challenger scat pack to my mustang, I can say the 392 was way more fun when driving around the street.

It's cool that Ford gets 435 hp out of 5 L, but that's the benefit of dohc motors. I'll take an "inefficient" (volume vs hp) 392 that makes 475 lb - ft of torque and has an awesome power curve over a 5.0 dohc that has to be above 4500 rpms for me to really feel like I'm going fast.

All that being said, I still love my mustang, just wish it made a bit more torque down low.

I'm not disagreeing on the weight but the coyotes and voodoos do not weigh that much.

That dodge needs extra power to move itself. It's like a athlete stuck in a 600 pound body. It's going nowhere fast.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Having driven a Scat Pack with the A8...it's pretty dramatic how much faster it is over a Coyote. The majority of it is due to the torque down low, it's already putting out over 400 FT LB of torque at 3,500 RPM and it doesn't drop below that until nearly 6,000 RPM. That's what 90 more CI will do for you.
Mind you I love the Coyote, always have, but the Scat Pack is untouchable by a regular GT, stock for stock, in the 1/4 mile. In handling tests it holds it's own with base GT's, especially automatic GT's. It will lose the handling war pretty badly to a GTPP obviously.

Sponsored

pietran30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I'm not disagreeing on the weight but the coyotes and voodoos do not weigh that much.

That dodge needs extra power to move itself. It's like a athlete stuck in a 600 pound body. It's going nowhere fast.
Of course it needs the extra power, but my point isn't about the challenger, it's about the 392 pushrod hemi.

I'm not knocking on the coyote, but am honestly curious as to why some of you guys prefer RPMs to displacement. Is there an advantage or fun factor I'm missing?

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I dont, that was the entire point.

TBH I like the Dodge Hemis and respect the LSx. I guess the love with the DOHC 5L is that it does more with less, it's kinda like when Ralphie beats up Scut in "A Christmas Story" it makes you all warm and fuzzy inside.

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
The LS engine was stolen from the ford push rod platform. Gm can't even design their own engines let alone a car body.

Because that totally matters right..?

No one outside of a couple of fanboys would even care about that.

Has Ford never copied someone?

Last edited:

Sponsored

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Of course it needs the extra power, but my point isn't about the challenger, it's about the 392 pushrod hemi.

I'm not knocking on the coyote, but am honestly curious as to why some of you guys prefer RPMs to displacement. Is there an advantage or fun factor I'm missing?

Fun factor ? Oh hell yes ! Why I love my 90s zr-1 spinning 7700 all day long and I just built my 90s LT1 (pushrod) LT4 into an 8500 rpm screamer !! Its all about the screaming sound at high rpms that adds so much to the experience for me. :headbang: I almost wanted to return my coyote when I saw the 6700 rpm limiter

Tm@c1965

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1988 GT Mustang, 2014 SRT Challenger
They go nowhere fast...

...except stock for stock they accelerate faster than the 5.0 in a lighter body.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Because that totally matters right..?

No one outside of a couple of fanboys would even care about that.

Has Ford never copied someone?
GM made the first mass produced automatic. Ford must have copied them.....:headbang:

PS: I am just teasing. It's just silly.

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP

As a member stated its the fun factor, the noise of the engine, exhaust tone, the feeling when revving that high! People say the 5.2 fpc is like a ferrari engine but its no where close. Ferrari's do rev high with a small displacement but the freaking car weights 3000 lbs versus 3700+ lbs gt350! Lets not forget the new ones are all boosted now! If revving is what everybody wants over a displacement, then i would suggest a used mazda rx8 with the rotary engine, if its handling you want go with a miata.

Both mustang gt and gt350 are too heavy cars to carry a high revving engine with low torque on low rpms to be honest! Once you get going though its a different story for example the gt350r! The problem is from stand still pushing that car to the happy spot which takes some time! Simple math really, if you have a heavy car either boost it with a high revving small displacement engine or swap a bigger displacement engine with a high torque at low rpms. Awd will help also. If you have a light weight car then the world is yours do whatever you please.