4G Modem Disabling Instructions:

VoR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Quick question, I've poked around a bit but can't seem to find a definitive answer. What year did this data collection start in our S550 mustangs? 2018 or 2019?
I could be wrong, but I think if your car has the sharkfin antenna it has the modem for sending data to Ford.
Sponsored

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
Thanks fellas, no antenna, but I'll check the trunk anyways as I found a picture of what it looks like.

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Disabling your telematics does not protect you by any means from being monitored by insurance companies. If it gives you peace of mind them by all means, go for it.
Life moves pretty fast. . . . /Bueller

I don't doubt that this might have been a more common (than now) frame of mind when this post was made, but it does not take a big imagination (today, and especially in the future) to see that preventing the car from sending its data will indeed protect you from that data being used by everyone it is sold to. The OP shows an easy way to disable the 4G (LTE) modem which prevents the car from being able to use it to send and receive data. Good luck! Imagination is the only limit to what we can achieve.

I would add that all the apps on one’s phone collect an enormous amount of data, which is packaged and sold to a whole host of groups, insurance companies included. Geolocation, spending habits, even speed (think some of the maps apps that adjust arrival time based on the amount of distance you are covering, that’s easy to calculate speed from) are all tracked unless you go into each individual app and turn ALL of the tracking off. And even then, I’m not sure it’s entirely off.
Many presumptions about others made here. For instance, all the apps on one's phone need not collect an enormous amount of data. It is, in fact, quite easy (though admittedly unusual) to not have all the to above data collected, sent, analyzed... One might consider that other individuals may have already addressed these issues and wish to also address the new vector their vehicle introduces. Cheers!

Finally got it done this past week. I had a buzz/rattle in the trunk area and had to remove the whole liner and plastic trim piece at the front of trunk, thus exposing the modem. Felt better about unplugging there instead of messing with the fuses.
Agreed, it's a better solution to disable the modem directly - other cars will have different fuses, additional items on the same fuse as telematics, etc etc. Personally, I've since pulled that box out and apart and taken more pics. One day I may get around to making a video showing all of this and also the RF analyzer showing when it sends data, but I stay pretty busy... One day...

DougS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium A10 PP1 Whipple Stage 2

I don't doubt that this might have been a more common (than now) frame of mind when this post was made, but it does not take a big imagination (today, and especially in the future) to see that preventing the car from sending its data will indeed protect you from that data being used by everyone it is sold to. The OP shows an easy way to disable the 4G (LTE) modem which prevents the car from being able to use it to send and receive data. Good luck! Imagination is the only limit to what we can achieve.

Many presumptions about others made here. For instance, all the apps on one's phone need not collect an enormous amount of data. It is, in fact, quite easy (though admittedly unusual) to not have all the to above data collected, sent, analyzed... One might consider that other individuals may have already addressed these issues and wish to also address the new vector their vehicle introduces. Cheers!

Agreed, it's a better solution to disable the modem directly - other cars will have different fuses, additional items on the same fuse as telematics, etc etc. Personally, I've since pulled that box out and apart and taken more pics. One day I may get around to making a video showing all of this and also the RF analyzer showing when it sends data, but I stay pretty busy... One day...
Pulling the side anel is easy, done it at least times for stereo upgrade.
I pulled the fuse instead, no issues noticed.

Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium

Well so far, my auto insurance premium has continued to go down at each renewal cycle since I got my stang. When I see an increase in the premium, I will go dark.

BD

Paul McWhiskey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium w/PP
Well so far, my auto insurance premium has continued to go down at each renewal cycle since I got my stang. When I see an increase in the premium, I will go dark.

BD
Consider that waiting to be shot by a thug on the street is the wrong time to begin thinking about getting your concealed carry permit or taking up any form of marshal arts.

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Consider that waiting to be shot by a thug on the street is the wrong time to begin thinking about getting your concealed carry permit or taking up any form of marshal arts.
Good advice indeed, never leave the house without and have had CCP for 40+ years and practice regularly. Live in free state as well so CCP is for traveling out of state. He who hesitates loses.

BD

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

Good to hear from you and hope all is well. On a side note I am still using the xineering auto blip module at the track and it is working great! If I ever get the Shelby out to So. Cal (route 66 is on my bucket list) I will look you up!

OP
OP
drummerboy

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Good to hear from you and hope all is well. On a side note I am still using the xineering auto blip module at the track and it is working great! If I ever get the Shelby out to So. Cal (route 66 is on my bucket list) I will look you up!
Awesome, glad to hear it. And please do!
Sponsored