3D Printed Engine Bay Parts

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Thought I'd post a thread on 3D Printed Parts I've designed and used in my S550's engine bay.

I thought the bright yellow washer fluid cap in my engine bay was a little distracting, so I designed a new plain black one by measuring the original caps dimensions and creating a CAD file using tinkercad. Link to .stl download:

S550 Washer Fluid Cap

I printed in black Hatchbox ABS (Do NOT use PLA, it will melt.) on my Creality Ender 3: 0.2mm resolution, no supports, 80mm/s printing speed. After it was printed I sanded it down until it was smooth.
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
New to 3d printing?

Tinkercad is a good first step into modelling, but I highly recommend learning an actual modelling software. Fusion360 is still pretty decent and free for what you need to do. Tinkercad is just extremely limited in what you can do, and doing basic things like chamfering edges is rather difficult.

Also, if you're printing in ABS. and you're looking for smooth prints... look up acetone vapor polishing. It's fairly easy to set up, and your abs printed part is going to look shiny and completely smooth when it's done.

OP
OP

CRMcC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Colin
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
New to 3d printing?

Tinkercad is a good first step into modelling, but I highly recommend learning an actual modelling software. Fusion360 is still pretty decent and free for what you need to do. Tinkercad is just extremely limited in what you can do, and doing basic things like chamfering edges is rather difficult.

Also, if you're printing in ABS. and you're looking for smooth prints... look up acetone vapor polishing. It's fairly easy to set up, and your abs printed part is going to look shiny and completely smooth when it's done.
Haha, yes I'm not very experienced with CAD software, I mainly use Tinkercad because it's simple and easy to use and the part was pretty simple to design. I'll definitely look into Fusion360 if I decide to do this more often, this was just a quick project I did on a whim.

I've done a good amount of 3D printing and honed in my Ender 3 pretty well (typically not my own designs). I've heard of the acetone vapor trick with ABS, I just didn't have the materials on hand, and like I said it was a quick process.

Thank you for your comments though. I'll definitely take this into account when I expand this thread!

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Creality cr-10 mini and solidworks here. Slice with cura. I’m building a humidity sensor bracket and umbrella, since it needs exposure to outside air but not liquid water.

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Creality cr-10 mini and solidworks here. Slice with cura. I’m building a humidity sensor bracket and umbrella, since it needs exposure to outside air but not liquid water.

IMG_5539.jpeg

IMG_5537.jpeg
What exactly does that sensor do, like for a vehicle application?

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra