Sponsored

2K rattle gone (not to be confused with the typewriter/BBQ tick)

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
IMHO, it is the Cam Phasers/VVT system and part of owning a big DOHC V8. My Tundra makes the same noises, same conditions. Light throttle inputs, 2-3K. The Mustang is 1/4 the sounds the Tundra makes. I had the Tundra in the dealer 5X before ensuring it was captured in the service notes. 6 years and 90K later, it is the same, and my magnetic drain plug is perfectly clean. Sounds bad, but seems to be 100% normal. I hate it though.
Sponsored

Last edited:

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
I've never heard of Ceratec helping the 2k rattle. I wonder if you're talking about a different noise. Can you describe it?
Noise occurs at just over 2000rpm, under light throttle on level ground holding that speed. Presents as a constant rattle that stops if you dip into the throttle slightly, and returns if you go back to light throttle to sustain those rpms.
Noise stops (or at least isn't audible over my exhaust) once the oil pressure drops from fully warming up.
Is that not the 2k rattle?

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Noise occurs at just over 2000rpm, under light throttle on level ground holding that speed. Presents as a constant rattle that stops if you dip into the throttle slightly, and returns if you go back to light throttle to sustain those rpms.
Noise stops (or at least isn't audible over my exhaust) once the oil pressure drops from fully warming up.
Is that not the 2k rattle?
It sure sounds like it.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Then that's not the same rattle we're talking about. This one doesn't go away with engine temp or ceratec.

And it also doesn't start 30,000kms in...it's there from day 1.
More than a few on mustang6g have used ceratec for the 2k rattle (yes it is used for the BBQ tick as well), which is what gave me the confidence to try it in the first place (I hate oil additives, but the noise was driving me nuts).

Based on what folks have said in this thread it's not a new phenomenon either and arguing it doesn't happen on gen 2 isn't accurate since there are plenty on this forum with the 2k rattle on gen 2 motors. A quick search will show you that, there are a few large threads on this already.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I know the vast majority of you realize exactly what this noise is but for those that don't you can hear it pretty clearly here, particularly at 4:02. It's the rattle.

Sponsored

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I know the vast majority of you realize exactly what this noise is but for those that don't you can hear it pretty clearly here, particularly at 4:02. It's the rattle.

It's hard to pick up on most videos, but that sounds typical. If you have AE and put it in quite mode it's much more obvious.

Fords4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt DHG
I have had this same 2K-3K Noise that the OP is referring to on my 2019 Bullitt but I didn't notice it until about 1 year after purchase. I hesitate to call it a "Rattle" because it's almost more of a loud resonance, but I don't want to say resonance either because that implies its exhaust related which it absolutely is NOT exhaust.

I never heard this on my 2014 GT but I did have the BBQ tick, so I am well aware of that sound and this is NOT that for sure. I had originally assumed this was DI related since I did not have this issue on the 2014 which of course did not have DI, BUT I am now wondering if this noise is more pronounced on my 2019 because it has a sound tube that pipes engine noise into the cabin whereas I don't think the 2014's had that.

For those who say it's normal and we should just accept it, I disagree. This sound is embarrassing and unacceptable, especially in a $50K plus vehicle. It seems like it was design flaw and there might be an answer, maybe the tensioner, etc. and I would really like to determine what might actually resolve the issue.

Because it's only present at light throttle between 2-3k , I have to either live with the embarrassing noise or speed away at an aggressive throttle while my neighbors clutch their children :) Neither are acceptable to me.

OP
OP
SheepDog

SheepDog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dax
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2022 MACH 1 HP
sound tube that pipes engine noise into the cabin
Just for clarity, my MACH1 does not have the sound tube, and the noise was easily heard anyway.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
For those who say it's normal and we should just accept it, I disagree. This sound is embarrassing and unacceptable, especially in a $50K plus vehicle.
It doesn't matter whether or not its acceptable because Ford isn't going to provide an explanation nor do anything about it. What is surprising, to me at least, is that nobody among the hard core legions of Mustang enthusiasts has been able to determine the precise cause. In a community this large enthusiasts are usually pretty darn good about figuring this type of stuff out. Although @ZXMustang in this post makes the most sense to me. Which leads me to wonder why nobody ever bothered to make some improved after market parts . People would eat them up.

Last edited:

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Because it's only present at light throttle between 2-3k , I have to either live with the embarrassing noise or speed away at an aggressive throttle while my neighbors clutch their children :) Neither are acceptable to me.
It's annoying for sure. But M1s don't have a sound tube. I personally can't hear mine that much unless it's in quite mode.

Sponsored

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
It's annoying for sure. But M1s don't have a sound tube. I personally can't hear mine that much unless it's in quite mode.
The Bullitt doesn't have a sound tube either. I've found oil viscosity and brand makes a difference. Quietest is the Valvoline Full Synthetic. I put 1/2 a Bottle of Ceratec at each oil change for good measure. I can barely hear it in the Bullitt, whereas the Tundra sounds like it is a diesel sometimes. I've had a magnetic drain plug in the Tundra since first oil change, and 7 years/90K miles, the magnet is clean as a whistle at every change. I stopped worrying about it, turn up the radio, or stay deeper in the pedal. The Tundra is a TRD PRO and has a really nice true dual exhaust that makes great sounds. Not as loud as the Mustang, about 1/2 between quiet and normal.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
The Bullitt doesn't have a sound tube either. I've found oil viscosity and brand makes a difference. Quietest is the Valvoline Full Synthetic. I put 1/2 a Bottle of Ceratec at each oil change for good measure. I can barely hear it in the Bullitt, whereas the Tundra sounds like it is a diesel sometimes. I've had a magnetic drain plug in the Tundra since first oil change, and 7 years/90K miles, the magnet is clean as a whistle at every change. I stopped worrying about it, turn up the radio, or stay deeper in the pedal. The Tundra is a TRD PRO and has a really nice true dual exhaust that makes great sounds. Not as loud as the Mustang, about 1/2 between quiet and normal.
I'd add, I've been doing used oil analysis every year, for years, on mine and there's nothing showing there either.

No sound tube on mine either (gt350 intake).

Fords4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt DHG
My bad, must be just the regular GTs that have the sound tube.
I will say though that I am very conscious of all the sounds these cars make and I know my 2014 did NOT have this particular sound.

Having said that, is there a way to safely tune around this 2k-3k issue? Just thinking out loud.

I agree that with the volume of people in the Mustang community, it is surprising that this issue hasn't been successfully 100% diagnosed yet.

We've owned 5 Mustangs over the years and this Bullitt is by far my favorite. Between the interior and technology upgrades and the performance, it has been great! Just hate that dreaded sound.

I do however miss my '14 sometimes. It was a convertible and pretty unique too. A Gotta Have it Green California Special which was one of only a few in that color produced for the auto show circuit.

Fords4ever

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt DHG
Those circles that the red arrows are pointing to are the cam phasers and thats whats rattling as they are turning. They move like an impact gun. Rattling back and forth as they turn. Like a shaky hand turning a dial. You hear it most at 2k when they are moving the cams +10* or -12* from their current position. And because of the low load/rpm, you can hear it more vs when they move at higher RPM. Trust me this is what you're hearing.
I'm not doubting that the cam phasers are causing the sound but what doesn't make sense to me is why it could be sooo different between vehicles? You can say that my 2014 Gen2 had this sound, but I was and am still very conscious of the sounds my cars make and I NEVER heard this on the 2014. Also, my 2019 wasn't really noticeable for the first year then it's been every day consistent. I went back and looked at my service history and the only thing that happened near the time the sound first started becoming noticeable was I had the Crank Position Sensor replaced under warranty.

Could something have been put together a little loose and that's why the sound is more noticeable? Do the tensioners affect the cam phaser operation at all?
Sponsored