2021 MUSTANG (S650) - 7th Generation Mustang Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

King_V

2015 Mustang GT Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais, 1987 Ford LTD Crown Victoria LX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT, 2016 Toyota Prius Two Eco
With upcoming cafe standards, V8's will become a thing of the past, just like carburetors, metal bumpers, and front bench seats. Consider the outrageous surcharge and tax Europeans have to pay for larger displacement engines. It's a new era my friend, say goodbye to 5.0.
Perhaps. Then again, in the late 70s and early 80s, they thought it'd be the end of large displacement engines, and yes, they were also anticipating that no more V8s ever was a very real possibility in the near future. One year, there was a 305 offered in the Corvette, of all things!

But today's V8s can match the V6 fuel economy of yesteryear, with far more power and far cleaner emissions.

Maybe V8s will go away - or maybe there's another breakthrough on the horizon. I don't know. All I do know is that similar fears existed years ago, and look where we are now.

(as an aside, given the large displacements Chrysler and GM are using to be competitive with the Mustang, I'd hardly call the 5.0 a "large displacement" V8)
Sponsored

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
I'm thinking the S650 chassis will just be a revised S550. If Ford would drop a few hundred pounds all the performance numbers will fall right in place. Maybe make a Lincoln coupe off the platform to handle the grand touring sales and keep the mustang lean. But then again the Mustang has managed to be "the right car" at the right time for decades. So maybe heavy @$$ luxo barges are en vogue. If the sales stay up the change may not be drastic.
I like the idea of that but make the mustang a 2 seater and the Lincoln a 4 seater veraion. That might really help Lincoln

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
I like the idea of that but make the mustang a 2 seater and the Lincoln a 4 seater veraion. That might really help Lincoln
I think do the opposite. You cannot change what the Mustang is, as a 2-seater it would sell into a much smaller market. You think that the Camaro sales are small, make the 'Stang a 2 seater. I would never have considered it. The Lincoln should have halo performance and sell to a more narrow audience which is willing to make due with less practicality, and buy for a premium to get the extra performance and nimbleness. Ford can make a 2 seater in the bargain segment, but it should NOT be a Mustang.

cbrookre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible 50th app
And now LLN are reporting it's the Camaro that is the likely reason for the 7th Gen being pulled forward :doh:

http://www.leftlanenews.com/next-ford-mustang-to-arrive-two-years-early-report-91158.html

I would imagine the '18MY refresh will be plenty enough to keep the (admittedly well received) Camaro honest!

Perhaps Ford are delighted with the S550's sales WORLDWIDE and, as the company is going well financially, they've decided to make their produce even better, sooner than originally planned!
The Camaro is well received, but much more by the automotive press and not the general audience. Camaro is a great (performance) car, but sells to a narrower market of buyer. I do not think Ford needs the '18MY refresh to keep the Camaro honest, it is doing that today! I see the Camaro like the artsy movies that keep winning academy awards, while the movie going public largely goes "Huh?" and fails to show up in droves. Camaro has a rich history, but if Chevy was planning to out-sell the S550 I feel they made some critical mistakes in the 6G Camaro, too much compromise for the performance.

My guess is that the S650 is more in reaction to the need to lighten to be ahead of the game with respect to Cafe, but that is purely speculation on my part. Or perhaps they are aligning chassis across multiple segments. Or perhaps the strong sales have given them more R&D and motivation to speed it up ("Hey, this is NOT a dying segment, if we just release the right product, they will come"). There are very many reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with competition from Chevy...

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The Camaro is well received, but much more by the automotive press and not the general audience. Camaro is a great (performance) car, but sells to a narrower market of buyer. I do not think Ford needs the '18MY refresh to keep the Camaro honest, it is doing that today! I see the Camaro like the artsy movies that keep winning academy awards, while the movie going public largely goes "Huh?" and fails to show up in droves. Camaro has a rich history, but if Chevy was planning to out-sell the S550 I feel they made some critical mistakes in the 6G Camaro, too much compromise for the performance.

My guess is that the S650 is more in reaction to the need to lighten to be ahead of the game with respect to Cafe, but that is purely speculation on my part. Or perhaps they are aligning chassis across multiple segments. Or perhaps the strong sales have given them more R&D and motivation to speed it up ("Hey, this is NOT a dying segment, if we just release the right product, they will come"). There are very many reasons that have absolutely nothing to do with competition from Chevy...
I agree.

I guess I should clarify my one point. When I said I think the '18MY will keep the Camaro honest, I meant purely in terms of performance and content. In terms of sales, I think the Mustang is probably performing better than anyone dared think, especially in terms of worldwide sales :)

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
They're trying to scalp EuroCar customers (Audi, BMW, etc) by having retread, overblown 'MURICA styling on the Camaro.
Ford, on the other hand, took to styling the Mustang FOR foreign markets, while retaining those signature Mustang elements like the tri-bar taillights, the accent lighting in the front, the fastback roofline, etc

The old Camaro looked like someone super-sized a hotwheels car. The new Camaro looks like someone took the 5th Generation Camaro and threw it into the world of TRON.

They can flap their mouths about matching the M4, convince themselves they have an "amazing interior", excuse shitty build quality and QA issues as "normal first year" stuff..but in the end they're not going to really matter. The Camaro is a big fish in a small pond (US sales)..and it cannot even beat it's outgoing "terrible interior, heavy, poor handling" predecessor regularly in sales. The old Camaro was a failure in international sales, and the new Camaro will be a failure as well.

Szero3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 GT 2003 Terminator 2011 GT 2015 Rousch S3
Throughout fords history body change came every 5th year so 4 year bodies with a every 2 year minor change(hood, grill, ect ect) it's how it's always been how it will always be... Wow how long have any of you had ANY fords?

jamit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang G.T.
Have lived through ALL the generations of Mustangs.... a Mustang without a V-8 option is a dead horse. Period. No V-8 is taking all the heritage and chemistry of the car as it was introduced in GEN I. Been through all the scares of FWD and SVO four-bangers..... don't get me wrong, NICE to have I-4's and V-6's as options to meet many needs and demands, but the nothing replaces the sounds and pleasure of a V-8; and I mean nothing. It's an option that MUST remain on the table. Ford engineers, if you are listening, your only restriction is your mind. Also, do NOT forget to leave room for us 6'6" folks. Thanks to all!

Szero3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 GT 2003 Terminator 2011 GT 2015 Rousch S3
They will probably eliminate the standard production V6 make ecoboostV6 as the starting line and a 5.0 or 5.2 with direct port injection to increase hp/tq and fuel economy. Keeping up with the joneses they will probably incorporate magnetic suspension as an upgrade. 5.4 will probably get a performance overhaul and the 6.2 will probably be the gt500 new motor

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
5.4 and 5.8 are dead, the Condor family has been gone for nearly 2 years now. All the tooling at Romeo was broken up and the niche line where they were built currently handles the 5.2 Voodoo.

You probably will never see a motor over 5.2 in the Mustang ever again UNLESS the rumors of a "new big block" are true and they produce a big bore Coyote variant that isn't limited to the current bore centers.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Throughout fords history body change came every 5th year so 4 year bodies with a every 2 year minor change(hood, grill, ect ect) it's how it's always been how it will always be... Wow how long have any of you had ANY fords?
I have owned Fords since 1989. This includes roughly 97% of all my cars I have purchased in my life which are Fords.

I also know how to spell Roush and know that your don't call your 2003 Cobra a terminator. Thanks for playing.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Well technically the 2003 "Terminator" was a SVT Cobra, the "Terminator" was the codename for the 4.6 S/C.

It's not like other people that keep insisting that the GT500 was a "Shelby Super Snake" and how it always had the 5.4L..etc

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Well technically the 2003 "Terminator" was a SVT Cobra, the "Terminator" was the codename for the 4.6 S/C.

It's not like other people that keep insisting that the GT500 was a "Shelby Super Snake" and how it always had the 5.4L..etc
LOL. I know. I owned a 10th anniversary I bought new up until a few years ago when I sold it.

It is a pet peeve of mine and many other owners calling it a Terminator across many different forums.

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
LOL. I know. I owned a 10th anniversary I bought new up until a few years ago when I sold it.

It is a pet peeve of mine and many other owners calling it a Terminator across many different forums.

Oh crap..

I'm sorry buddy, I misread your post...so freaking tired with personal life issues that I'm missing things.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.