2020 Mustang GT with 27k Miles or 2022 Camaro SS

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT in Shadow Black
Ive had a mustang, sold it last year and started trucking over the road.

I did like the mustang a great deal, have never driven a camaro.

But looking at the SS brand new at 39k, which is what Ive found a brand new one at. And then the 2020 Mustang GT at 27k or so miles at 40900.

Im just split here. Any thoughts from all the mustang lovers out there?

Thanks for any input!

Monty
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Let's see. 2 year old used for 41K or brand new for 39K. The choice seems obvious to me.

OP
OP
MarkDMKC1974

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Let's see. 2 year old used for 41K or brand new for 39K. The choice seems obvious to me.
I agree completely, BUT, the Mustang Im looking at has performance pack, borla exhaust, Digital Dash, navigation...also the total craptastic manual transmission.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wouldn't buy used right now unless there was no choice. Prices are just too high.

It does seem like the Camaro is a better deal. Warranty will be a lot longer, etc.

Of course that's assuming you like the car. Based on your post it seems like you do.

edit: I don't like the manual transmission gears for 2018+ Mustangs. I wouldn't buy just for that reason. That's why I own a 2017. I don't want the newer models. Otherwise I might have bought a Mach 1.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
I am doing a Ceramic install on a new 2022 Camaro RS Convertible as I write this. VS the Mustang?

Chevy's paint and panel fit are light yrs ahead of the Mustang. Truly very good.

The Camaro convertible top is beautiful and built great.

The Interior on the Camaro is 2012 stuff. Cheap shit plastic that feels and looks it. Chevy thinks "no design" is something special and edgy. It's not.

I do not like the Camaro. Not biased. 74 Z-28 was my first car in 77. I was a Chevy bow tie guy all the way for 20 yrs.

The Camaro body design stinks IMO. Mustang has been an easy choice over the Camaro since the early 90s Fox bodies. IMO.

GM is just not making cars or trucks I want.

Absolute performance is not my priority. A balanced total package that appeals to me is.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro. used prices bad

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the Camaro SS is the lesser car even by Ford Mustang standards. The tradeoffs are noticeable and the only saving grace is the 1LE package which you're not considering. Not that the 'stang is any great performance vehicle in chassis/suspension dynamics by a LONG shot, but it's easy and cheap to fix that glaring deficiency.

There are quite a few left over '21 still out there. Look far afield for your car. Like say Ourisman Ford in Manassas VA.

The Chevy version of the A10 is much better than the retard at Ford who programmed theirs. The SS has more torque and is a bit breathless without a tune which brightens it up almost to Coyote eagerness to swing thru the RPMs. The manual is no contest - Chevy for the Tremec.

OP
OP
MarkDMKC1974

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
the Camaro SS is the lesser car even by Ford Mustang standards. The tradeoffs are noticeable and the only saving grace is the 1LE package which you're not considering. Not that the 'stang is any great performance vehicle in chassis/suspension dynamics by a LONG shot, but it's easy and cheap to fix that glaring deficiency.

There are quite a few left over '21 still out there. Look far afield for your car. Like say Ourisman Ford in Manassas VA.

The Chevy version of the A10 is much better than the retard at Ford who programmed theirs. The SS has more torque and is a bit breathless without a tune which brightens it up almost to Coyote eagerness to swing thru the RPMs. The manual is no contest - Chevy for the Tremec.
Yeah Ive looked at the base SS for the better dash and infotainment. Went to a few places for the ZL1 front splitter, side splitter, rear splitter and a quad exhaust. Then I know some folks here in Kansas City who love tuning Camaro's. So for 3k or so can get all the things I want for looks and performance on the Camaro, plus a tune.

The mustang Im looking at has most everything I want, the Borla Exhaust was a thing I didnt even know it had. I dunno.

Im split because I really like the Mustang. But those Camaros when dressed up right look downright mean to me.

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Go drive the camaro

you will then see why the mustang is a better car

the camaro might have a better transmission and a little more torque but you can't see out of it, the hood line is longer and you might find yourself taking out the nose on a curb stop more than once because of the lack of visibility. Then you can't hardly see out of the back window or for that matter the side windows. It's really poor in that sense. And the styling....the front end looks like a smiling catfish. Put some curb feelers on it!

not to mention GM's notorious build quality issues. Buttons that lose their markings in 50,000 miles, or just stop working altogether. They've come a long way but they still have a long ways to go to compete with Ford.

There are a few things I liked about it but for the most part the Mustang is a better car.

Also as said, buying used right now is ridiculously expensive. You can get new for less overall cost if your credit is good and you can wait. They cant get that many new cars so they're having to buy & sell used ones to keep the dealers going. And, that means they're paying good money for used cars of all kinds, particularly later models that you don't see on dealer lots....I bought a 19 EB 201A with 28,000 miles in Feb 2021 for $20,000. In Jan 2022, I sold it for $27,100 to a dealership, AFTER I put 16,000 miles on it. They had it sold the next day for $29,900. Granted it was clean and maintained (I am a tech by trade and take care of my stuff), so they didn't have to do a thing but to put it on the lot. Didn't even have to detail or clean it.

In my years on Earth I can't ever remember a time like this.

OP
OP
MarkDMKC1974

MarkDMKC1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Go drive the camaro

the camaro might have a better transmission and a little more torque but you can't see out of it, the hood line is longer and you might find yourself taking out the nose on a curb stop more than once because of the lack of visibility. Then you can't hardly see out of the back window or for that matter the side windows. It's really poor in that sense. And the styling....the front end looks like a smiling catfish. Put some curb feelers on it!

not to mention GM's notorious build quality issues. Buttons that lose their markings in 50,000 miles, or just stop working altogether. They've come a long way but they still have a long ways to go to compete with Ford.

There are a few things I liked about it but for the most part the Mustang is a better car.

Also as said, buying used right now is ridiculously expensive. You can get new for less overall cost if your credit is good and you can wait. They cant get that many new cars so they're having to buy & sell used ones to keep the dealers going. And, that means they're paying good money for used cars of all kinds, particularly later models that you don't see on dealer lots....I bought a 19 EB 201A with 28,000 miles in Feb 2021 for $20,000. In Jan 2022, I sold it for $27,100 to a dealership, AFTER I put 16,000 miles on it. They had it sold the next day for $29,900. Granted it was clean and maintained (I am a tech by trade and take care of my stuff), so they didn't have to do a thing but to put it on the lot. Didn't even have to detail or clean it.

Haha yeah I bought a Kia Forte GT to replace the mustang and paid 20k for it. 6 months later sold it for 24k. Good for me, bad for the economy.

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
by new or don't bother. buying used unless from a private party who is completely oblivious to the last 2 years' market distortion means you're wildly upside down on the car valuation.

You don't make money when you sell, you make money when you buy.
ps. well, until the gov't pretended they could repeal the laws of physics for a time.

Firsttexan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT500 '19 GT PP1 '13 GT500, 98 GT, 92 LX 5.0
Vehicle Showcase
Go drive the camaro

Wait till interest rates and inflation eat into that customer base. Right about the time the factories recover their output. Hello!! Overpriced inventories and bankruptcy for some of the big online players who helped drive this crazy market.

The bargains will come when they have to liquidate those backed up inventories.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wait till interest rates and inflation eat into that customer base.
Ford Credit's rates have changed dramatically. Before 4/4 0pct@60. Now it's 3.9 and the rates will reset on May 5th and likely go several percentage points higher yet.

When Ford Credit and other forms of Vendor Finance blow sky-high like they did in 2003 and 2008, all these lenders will be taking massive write-downs and impairment charges on inventory and loan losses. And you'll have a righteous fire-sale. THEN a used-car purchase will make a lot of sense. But not until.

Mustangs are greed vehicles - so default rates will be MUCH higher than Civic et. al. and also as a percentage Mustang buyers 'reached' for ownership so there should be a veritable "glut" of Mustangs on lots begging to be bought and taken off the books.

Last edited:

lugbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Wait till interest rates and inflation eat into that customer base. Right about the time the factories recover their output. Hello!! Overpriced inventories and bankruptcy for some of the big online players who helped drive this crazy market.

The bargains will come when they have to liquidate those backed up inventories.
yes no doubt

BUT we have been saying this for 2 years now and there is still no end in sight. Supplies at the manufacturer are gone, they are building all they "can"-given the supply chain interruptions, is not enough to meet demand. In 2020, we sold right at 600 units total. 2019, 548. 2021, 312--and based on the number of folks pre-ordering and coming into the store looking, I think we could have done 650, but we can't get product.

So, based on my experience, if there is no product being manufactured (for whatever reason...), then supply won't be high, yet demand will likely remain, thus pricing will continue to rise. I believe that this will continue until EV becomes more affordable and the technology improves range among many other things, and then we'll all be forced into EV. 2030 is "the day" in some states, after 1 Jan 2030, you will not be able to register a new petroleum car in those states. So I believe manufacturers are scrambling to get EV going, while purposely dwindling ICE which further limits production.

I am seeing a VERY dim outlook on cars in the future, historic inflation, lack of production, rates skyrocketing, and then EV being forced upon us. It ain't looking good.

Fire sale I think would be the best case scenario. BUT, will lenders also jack the rates up on preowned? And will there be a cash for gas clunkers? We shall see....

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BUT we have been saying this for 2 years now
one of the major wholesale price indexes just rolled over. A buyer revolt has started. The next 3-6 months will be fun to watch.
Sponsored