Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
You know this being a car guy but worth repeating.
GREAT post although I've never been THAT thorough (although I will in the future.) :-) Excellent tips, thanks.

Didn't know this was a weak link. Any ideas?
Don't know about the timing cover, John, that's new to me, but the valve covers were probably due to the oil leak issue some have had.
Sponsored

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see Carfax have incorrectly entered that information on the valve covers and timing chain cover. There was a recall to replace the valve cover gaskets and do some work on the rear freeze plugs. The warranty work was done free of charge and was done regardless if there was an existing issue or not. Iā€™ve always been amazed how much actual incorrect information is on Carfax reports. Iā€™d be more inclined to see what the actual oasis Ford has and go by that then Carfax.

Damn. A sucker for grabber blue. That's a great price starting point...prob a good thing for me there's only one photo...

Though quick question for the Predator owners. Said blue grabber just got an oil change and
  • Valve cover(s) replaced
  • Engine timing/front cover replaced
Didn't know this was a weak link. Any ideas?

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I compeltely agree with being diligent. That said. One thing I donā€™t, none of my vehicles or equipment, ever go from start up to 3k rpm and are sat there. Doesnā€™t matter the time of year either. I wouldnā€˜t ever let some one do that. Itā€™s not going to hurt the motors, I simply warm everything up. Modern engines just donā€˜t have drive train noise like there older counterparts. Doesnā€™t mean its a bad idea to listen, just be realistic and not create a problem where one doesnā€™t exist. If itā€™s one of these cars some one is interested in and there not as mechanically inclined, or even if they are, simply have a Ford service tech do a pre inspection. Most donā€™t know this but you can ask to have a master tech do the inspection. And carrying from my post above, the Oasis, and looking for paint work will pretty much tell anyone everything they need to know. Iā€™m referring to cars unmolested(no add-ons)there that donā€˜t have many miles, say under 20k and still have warranties of some kind in tact.

You know this being a car guy but worth repeating.
  1. Make sure car is cold when you arrive.
  2. Open hood, they start, you stand outside by the engine.
  3. Listen to idle, walk to rear and listen to exhaust note and watch color
  4. Have them rev the car in neutral to between 2 and 3k RPM and keep it there, listen.
  5. Drive car, radio off, and windows down.
  6. No chit chat or by yourself. Focus on the car.
  7. On return when good and hot, listen to idle again and at 2k to 3k again.
  8. Trust your gut.
If you can, talk to the PO.

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I compeltely agree with being diligent. That said. One thing I donā€™t, none of my vehicles or equipment, ever go from start up to 3k rpm and are sat there. Doesnā€™t matter the time of year either. I wouldnā€˜t ever let some one do that. Itā€™s not going to hurt the motors, I simply warm everything up. Modern engines just donā€˜t have drive train noise like there older counterparts. Doesnā€™t mean its a bad idea to listen, just be realistic and not create a problem where one doesnā€™t exist.
You're completely off on valve train noises and the s550, although I don't know the GT500 well.

I will give you a real world example, take for instance my 2018 GT that I bought a few months ago with 22k miles (excellent condition inside and out). It has the bbq tick and the 2k to 3k rattle, both of which I discovered immediately by simply listening to the car in the 2k to 3k range for a minute or two. I was well aware of the existence of both of these "noises" for some not small population of Mustangs. I was then able to use that as a negotiating tactic since the noises didn't bother me at all. This was really easy to hear standing outside the car with the salesman on the gas a little. I pointed it out and brought him around to the front to listen while I went in the car. My Mach 1 also has bbq tick.

I'm not being dismissive and good on you for your "warmup", but that is one habit I don't share and the Ford Mustang manual states to start the car and drive. Idling for a minute or two below 3k is completely harmless.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2016 GT as well, so Iā€™m familiar with coyote to. Iā€™ll leave alone you used a noise as a negotiating tactic but still bought the defective car. Iā€™ll also leave alone where many manufacturers suggestions can be counterproductive in reality. Warming up mechanical things just doesnā€™t have a downside. But itā€™s a choice, not a bigots to me if others do it or not.

You're completely off on valve train noises and the s550, although I don't know the GT500 well.

I will give you a real world example, take for instance my 2018 GT that I bought a few months ago with 22k miles (excellent condition inside and out). It has the bbq tick and the 2k to 3k rattle, both of which I discovered immediately by simply listening to the car in the 2k to 3k range for a minute or two. I was well aware of the existence of both of these "noises" for some not small population of Mustangs. I was then able to use that as a negotiating tactic since the noises didn't bother me at all. This was really easy to hear standing outside the car with the salesman on the gas a little. I pointed it out and brought him around to the front to listen while I went in the car. My Mach 1 also has bbq tick.

I'm not being dismissive and good on you for your "warmup", but that is one habit I don't share and the Ford Mustang manual states to start the car and drive. Idling for a minute or two below 3k is completely harmless.

Sponsored

lo-fi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Zero Options, Orange Fury)
I have a 2016 GT as well, so Iā€™m familiar with coyote to. Iā€™ll leave alone you used a noise as a negotiating tactic but still bought the defective car. Iā€™ll also leave alone where many manufacturers suggestions can be counterproductive in reality. Warming up mechanical things just doesnā€™t have a downside. But itā€™s a choice, not a bigots to me if others do it or not.
I gave you a real world example of why listening to the valve train matters because you said "Modern engines just donā€˜t have drive train noise like there older counterparts". Which is completely untrue where many a GT mustang are concerned.

Everyone has their level of comfort and if you listen to the valve train you can make an informed decision concerning an S550. I think sacrificing the engine internals at a 2k to 3k idle for a minute or two will be fine for that level of benefit.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
FWIW- the grabber blue went to a new owner yesterday. Now I donā€™t have to hide the kitchen knives from my wife and sleep with one eye openā€¦
yea, thatā€™s a new fav for meā€¦didnā€™t know they came stripeless šŸ˜

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
FWIW- the grabber blue went to a new owner yesterday. Now I donā€™t have to hide the kitchen knives from my wife and sleep with one eye openā€¦
Dang it! If you canā€™t tell, GBM is my fave šŸ˜‰

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Thanks for all the tips, guys. Really appreciate it. Iā€™m with Charlie, not a big fan of cold revving a motor. But I do want to see and hear the cold start. I spoke with them today and they are willing to get it on a rack so long as they have one available, if not, Iā€™m one of those that has no problem laying on the ground in the middle of a showroom or lot checking out the underside of a car (getting back up might be a problem LOL).

Looking forward to checking out the car. Of course, thereā€™s snow in the forecast for tomorrow/tomorrow night and a high of maybe 40F on Saturday so I might need to delay the test drive for a couple days. Weā€™ll see what we actually get, not rescheduling until I actually see whatā€™s it like Saturday morning. As Iā€™m sure you all know, cold/wet/snow + PS4S + 760hp = no bueno.

Havenā€™t been behind the wheel of one of these cars in almost a year now, so Iā€™m getting excited. Thanks again for all the tips!

Sponsored
OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Hey manā€¦more than one of us has brought a floor jack and a couple jack stands to a pre-purchase inspection šŸ˜‚

ā€¦or am I the only one šŸ¤Ŗ
LOL. I could definitely throw mine in the trunk. Or I could go pull my race ramps out from under my brother in laws C8 and bring those šŸ¤£

OP
OP
MAGS1

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT

DopamineQuest

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 Carbonized Gray
One of the many benefits of buying a 500, the Predator (at least mine) just simply makes none of those dogshit noises the coyotes do. I had two coyote gts, and both had the awful tick and the 2-3k rattle. This car has no ticks, no rattles, no noises, and hasn't used 1 drop of oil in its life.