Sponsored

2019 GT Deepest (Old School) Sound Combination

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
Oh another good one - stainless works. They market directly a "old school muscle car sound" just for the mustang. Pricy though. Also works with active exhaust setups.
Sponsored

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Just swapped out for a Magna Flow cat back street system. Its decent, not too loud. The Competition system was way too loud. If there's anything wrong with it, it's the X pipe. They give a different sound than an H pipe. H pipe will be closer to a 60s sound bc that's what the factory put on them

BrianH87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT ; 2021 Explorer ST
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to go with an H-pipe and leave the stock active exhaust alone. Cheapest option.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Keep in mind a lower tone will also lend itself to drone.

H by itself will increase volume some and deepen note a bit, no drone increase since the stock mufflers do not drone. However I find the stock mufflers a bit tinny once you increase their volume by removing the suitcase resonator.

By far the deepest sounding exhaust out there is the MagnaFlow Comp catback. But the drone with that system is massive.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
I’d love to hear how one would sound with the Mac Pro chamber. My 92 lx sounded amazing with the Mac Pro chamber and flowmasters. The pro chamber is a lil pricey for our cars

ENPhoto

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ErikNymanPhotography.com
First Name
Erik
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt Premium Performance Pack
Keep in mind a lower tone will also lend itself to drone......By far the deepest sounding exhaust out there is the MagnaFlow Comp catback. But the drone with that system is massive.
If a person is automatic I'd stray them away from the magnaflow comp's.

No issue here with manual 3.73's and an H-Pipe added to it.

I just can't put any load on it in 6th below 2000rpm..or she drones. But, I don't drive like that anyway.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Deepest, old school sound.. hmmm... I would guess 2011-2012 GT500 mufflers.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
In my experience the deep "muscle car" sound is due to high exhaust pressue from high compression engines of yesterday because they didn't have the catalytic restriction and the valve control our DOHC, computer controlled cam timing have. So, it is difficult to get the big block sound of late 60s when the exhaust pipe pressure was like a leaf blower at idle.
That said, and this is probably a bit too costly, the PD supercharger which forces more air into the system with Active Exhaust sounds so good it is unbelieveable stock (except for the blower).
Please keep us informed with thatever route you choose. I have had Solo, Ford Racing and they were all too loud for my old ears. Absolutely cannnot stand drone.
Agreed, I don't like drone either! Back in the day I test drove a WRX with an aftermarket pipe set up and engine braking down hill my ears were literally ringing afterwards. Suffice it to say, that was one test drive I was happy to finish asap!

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
I'm in the same boat. I'm going to go with an H-pipe and leave the stock active exhaust alone. Cheapest option.
The impression I'm getting is that this is probably the best route to go, especially to keep the active exhaust intact, and without spending over the top money. I also live in an apartment building so can't do any involved work on the car due to the nature of a basement carpark.

Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Just keep the factory active. Most of those "old school" exhausts mentioned in this thread have serious drone issues. It's why they are not as popular as others anymore. I had the full Mac system on my '14 and it sounded glorious, mellow and extra deep but it did drone around 2000 rpm. Not a big deal in a standard. I currently have the Awe touring and I love it. No drone but it is quite loud. In my opinion it has a bit of a "cleaner" sound than most.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have Steeda H Pipe and Axle Backs. If I had the Active Exhaust I would have most likely stopped with just the H Pipe, since it gets expensive after that. This is in the neighborhood, so keeping it toned down.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I have Steeda H Pipe and Axle Backs. If I had the Active Exhaust I would have most likely stopped with just the H Pipe, since it gets expensive after that. This is in the neighborhood, so keeping it toned down.

Completely off topic but totally dig your color.

gamecoc430

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
on my 2017 GT I ordered an H pipe and had it ready when I picked up my new Mustang from the dealer. Stopped on the way home and had the suitcase taken out and the H pipe installed. The sound was exactly what I was looking for.

Great, but now fo the bad part. Drone was unacceptable with just the H pipe and standard exhaust. But just to try something I removed the sound tube, and . . . . . bliss! No drone, just rumble just like I wanted. Probably the cheapest sound mod one can do for their Mustang.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Sorry thought OP was talking about exhaust and the sound. My attempt was to show there is no old school deep down thumping exhaust even with axle backs. Dang, I misunderstood what you meant... Thanks for the compliment.

Completely off topic but totally dig your color.
Sponsored