2019 GT Deepest (Old School) Sound Combination

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red 5.0 Mustang GT 6MT
Hi all, picking up my 2019 GT tomorrow and it has stock active exhaust. I have been doing a lot of research trying to find what combination of exhaust components will give the lowest and deepest burble at idle and throughout the rev range. I realise these are high revving engines, unlike the old school deep rumble muscle cars, but I would love to get as close to that old school sound as possible.

So far I have come up with removing the resonator and replacing it with an H pipe (Steeda seems to be the go to for most people).

What other things / brands should I look at to get the lowest tone?

Axle back? Could this deepen the tone or just make it louder? I don't want more loud, just deeper / lower.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored

IrishStallion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 gt mustang
Most guys around here like the straight through muffler (roush, borla, awe, etc) with h/x replacing the stock resonator. I personally not a fan and most end up complaining it’s too loud. They then end up having to add smaller bullet resonators to tame it down.

I just replaced axle back (a true axle back) with Flowmaster American thunder with their nice 3” mandrel bent pipe to super 44’s. It really picked up the lower deep tones without adding much more volume at wot. Sounds good with stock resonator. jmo. Good luck!

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Most guys around here like the straight through muffler (roush, borla, awe, etc) with h/x replacing the stock resonator. I personally not a fan and most end up complaining it’s too loud. They then end up having to add smaller bullet resonators to tame it down.

I just replaced axle back (a true axle back) with Flowmaster American thunder with their nice 3” mandrel bent pipe to super 44’s. It really picked up the lower deep tones without adding much more volume at wot. Sounds good with stock resonator. jmo. Good luck!
With your axle back, does that mean you don't have the active exhaust in yours?

Louk

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lou
Vehicle(s)
F90 M5, 2022 TRX
Since you have active throw that h pipe on and call it a day you will love it! Cheapest and best option

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
Since you have active throw that h pipe on and call it a day you will love it! Cheapest and best option
That's what I'm thinking at the moment. Have heard some online and they sound phenomenal! This will be my first muscle car V8. I'm so excited!

Sponsored

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I share your quest for deep tone exhaust. But I'm also not spending thousands on exhaust. So I'm kind of slowly piecing together my own catback.

The deeper toned exhausts would be flowmaster and magnaflow. Probably 1 or 2 others I can't think of. Have to be careful with the setup though so you don't get excessive drone.

You need to eliminate the rasp so I would keep some sort of resonator in there. Magnaflow resonated x pipe, paired with some sort of axle back would be good. That's what I've started with, just replaced the stock resonator with the mf resonated x pipe. So far its a little deeper, less rasp, and better overall tone especially while accelerating. Now I need to decide which axle back to go with.

OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
I share your quest for deep tone exhaust. But I'm also not spending thousands on exhaust. So I'm kind of slowly piecing together my own catback.

The deeper toned exhausts would be flowmaster and magnaflow. Probably 1 or 2 others I can't think of. Have to be careful with the setup though so you don't get excessive drone.

You need to eliminate the rasp so I would keep some sort of resonator in there. Magnaflow resonated x pipe, paired with some sort of axle back would be good. That's what I've started with, just replaced the stock resonator with the mf resonated x pipe. So far its a little deeper, less rasp, and better overall tone especially while accelerating. Now I need to decide which axle back to go with.
I saw the American Muscle video, where they compared the H and X pipes, and the H pipe gave a deeper tone, vs the X pipe which gave more raspiness.

Stranger706

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT w/Roush SC
I saw the American Muscle video, where they compared the H and X pipes, and the H pipe gave a deeper tone, vs the X pipe which gave more raspiness.
OK, you must be talking about plain x vs h pipes. I was referring to the magnaflow resonated x pipe, its an insulated resonator with an x pipe inside. Much quieter than plain x or h pipes.

They make a mustang specific version that cj pony parts sells, its a direct bolt on easy enough to do in the driveway.

Sponsored
OP
OP
The_Don_72

The_Don_72

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
OK, you must be talking about plain x vs h pipes. I was referring to the magnaflow resonated x pipe, its an insulated resonator with an x pipe inside. Much quieter than plain x or h pipes.

They make a mustang specific version that cj pony parts sells, its a direct bolt on easy enough to do in the driveway.
Yes, you're right. Ok thanks, I'll look into that as a potential option :)

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
The mag tru x will probably make it too quiet for you with stock manifolds and cats. Just go with the Steeda H and you will be happy. Keep the stock mufflers since you have the active.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
In my experience the deep "muscle car" sound is due to high exhaust pressue from high compression engines of yesterday because they didn't have the catalytic restriction and the valve control our DOHC, computer controlled cam timing have. So, it is difficult to get the big block sound of late 60s when the exhaust pipe pressure was like a leaf blower at idle.
That said, and this is probably a bit too costly, the PD supercharger which forces more air into the system with Active Exhaust sounds so good it is unbelieveable stock (except for the blower).
Please keep us informed with thatever route you choose. I have had Solo, Ford Racing and they were all too loud for my old ears. Absolutely cannnot stand drone.