Sponsored

2018 Mustang Information (Options/Packages, Colors)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Sounds awesome. Also interesting to hear confirmation again that the 5.0 will receive "significant technology upgrades".
Sponsored

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I guess my only "concern" would be the numbers such an engine would put down, especially if its normally aspirated.

We're totally spoiled at the moment, with over 700hp available from the likes of Roush, Steeda, Saleen, Petty.....the Coyote adopts forced induction beautifully. Of course, I appreciate none of these come with the tolerances Ford would require of a production vehicle, although I suspect Roush comes closest, as they work hand in hand with Ford.

But a "top dog" Mustang would need at least 650hp.....more like 725 if it wants to knock the Hell Cat off its pedestal.

Could that be achieved by a n/a 7.0 litre V8? Of course, Ford is at the 100hp/litre with the 5.2 Voodoo, so anything's possible.

I just think everyone is assuming a "top dog" Mustang would feature a supercharger or twin turbos.........but then Ford do like to pull surprises on us :)

Mind you, I'm still hoping for a Mach 1 with "just" a 5.2 CPC and about 485hp. I'm so easily pleased ;)

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
Sounds like an all aluminum big bore direct injected coyote hybrid, if that's the case, I'm in. Lighter, smaller(shorter), more efficient and powerful than the V-10.

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
its always pissed me off that ford never took on the 351 on as its primary mustang mill, and then even went with a SMALLER displacement modular(dont get me wrong, i love my 4.6 and coyote, but its too fucking hard to keep things factory competitive when gm/mopar is always dwarfing us with displacement).
i would literally shit myself if ford gave us a large CI option anywhere in the lineup because its way past due they level that playing field.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I guess my only "concern" would be the numbers such an engine would put down, especially if its normally aspirated.

We're totally spoiled at the moment, with over 700hp available from the likes of Roush, Steeda, Saleen, Petty.....the Coyote adopts forced induction beautifully. Of course, I appreciate none of these come with the tolerances Ford would require of a production vehicle, although I suspect Roush comes closest, as they work hand in hand with Ford.

But a "top dog" Mustang would need at least 650hp.....more like 725 if it wants to knock the Hell Cat off its pedestal.

Could that be achieved by a n/a 7.0 litre V8? Of course, Ford is at the 100hp/litre with the 5.2 Voodoo, so anything's possible.

I just think everyone is assuming a "top dog" Mustang would feature a supercharger or twin turbos.........but then Ford do like to pull surprises on us :)

Mind you, I'm still hoping for a Mach 1 with "just" a 5.2 CPC and about 485hp. I'm so easily pleased ;)
The second link TopNotch posted makes a calculated estimate of the horsepower, which the article says is 800hp naturally aspirated! :eyebulge:
Even if their calculations are off, it's gotta be close to that, easily dethroning all others I think. And the article states the motor is able to even be stroked to 7.5 liters. And then if people add superchargers down the line, you could be looking at more horsepower than a Bugatti lol. Crazy stuff! The future looks good for Ford Performance!

Sponsored

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
700+ hp without a blower, that would be earth shattering and easily achievable with direct injection at that displacement with up-sized Voodoo style cylinder heads.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
2013 BOSS 302
The sad part is they could have and should have done this a long time ago.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The second link TopNotch posted makes a calculated estimate of the horsepower, which the article says is 800hp naturally aspirated! :eyebulge:

Apologies, I missed that! Ooooof! I've got a nice fuzzy feeling :ford:

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
While a 429 ci motor would be awesome, unless Trump abolishes cafe standards there is no way Ford will put a motor that big into the mustang. Too many variables to make it work and not cost effective.

I just don't see it happening.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Truck engines folks...

Class 2+ trucks are not regulated by the same CAFE standards as cars and Class 1. A new big block would be replacing both the 6.2L V8 and 6.8L V10 in the Super Duty F-series.

They're not going to go bigger than 5.2 in the Mustang.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Truck engines folks...

Oh well......it took my mind off the impending '18MY for a few minutes :D

(but, will someone PLEASE officially confirm it's coming on January 9th at Detroit!!!!)

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
Oh well......it took my mind off the impending '18MY for a few minutes :D

(but, will someone PLEASE officially confirm it's coming on January 9th at Detroit!!!!)
Looking at the NAIAS Press Schedule, Ford has an event scheduled at the Joe Lewis Arena Jan 9th 9:05am - 9:30am EST. While near the Cobo Center, interesting that its being held at the Arena. I'd imagine thats your 2018 Mustang reveal....unless Ford is expected to unveil something completely new

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Truck engines folks...

Class 2+ trucks are not regulated by the same CAFE standards as cars and Class 1. A new big block would be replacing both the 6.2L V8 and 6.8L V10 in the Super Duty F-series.

The V10 was based on the old modular architecture.
This new engine is a clean sheet design.

Ford has done this in the past...taking a 5.8 Lightning motor and tweaking
it to use in the Cobra R... Today there is a 5.0 in both the Mustang and F-150.

BGM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang V6
The sad part is they could have and should have done this a long time ago.
It's amazing what new competition does. Driverless cars may be the way of the future, but obviously Ford et. al. have a lot of investment in driver-needed and performance cars. If they want to preserve that market, better make sure no one gets bored so they'll have to pry our fingers off the steering wheels!
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.