2018 Ecoboost Cobb Accessport

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Bump to see if there are more reviews out for this.
Sponsored

apx632

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Stock- 13.64@100 1/4 mile
Anyone that has installed the tune on the 18 any reviews? I installed stage 2 two days ago, jumped over 1 because I'm running CPE intake and intercooler, and I'm not feeling any difference at all. Am I the only one?
Drop down to Stage 1. Stage 2 and 3 is only effective from what I understand if you have Cobb parts installed. I tried running cobb stage 2 on my 16 EB and the car felt like a dog compared to stage 1 and even stock.

BigBootyJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 w/ AT | Oxford White w/ Black Accent Package
I've been running the stage 1 tune on my 18 w/ AT for about 3k miles now. The most noticeable difference is in the lower to mid RPM ranges where this engine really shines. The throttle response is improved, turbo lag isn't as bad with boost staring to come on around 2k RPM. If you still try to ring it out past 6500 RPM it's going to fall on it's face pretty hard. If you get down on the paddles, hit your shift points right and ride a gear high in the corners the car will get busy and bring a smile to your face :-) The car will never be a GT but, it was never meant to be. For 500 bucks you can't really argue with the amount of "safe" performance the AP provides. I've had zero issues with car since installing the tune. The only complaint I have is that COBB did not remove the 120mph limiter. (Topic in another thread) Now it's time to decide if I want to fully commit to building this car or start over with a GT.......
Cobb.JPG

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost MT, PP, 101A, Spoiler Delete
I currently have a custom ordered 2018 Ecoboost Mustang, 6 speed manual, performance package, 101A equipment group (for selectable drive modes), spoiler delete, in magnetic metallic.

I'm running the COBB stage 1, 93 Octane, with just a Garrett Intercooler, and FRPP Borla Sport axle backs, everything else being stock, and I'm very impressed with it.

Before that I had a 2015 Ecoboost, 6 speed manual, Bama SCT tuned, and before that a 2005 GT Premium convertible, Bama SCT tuned with bolt ons. And before all the fords I was a life long chevy guy, vintage corvettes, Z28's, with background in Drag racing, then wheel to wheel road racing (SCCA), some Formula Ford experience, and now just auto crossing with occasional drag strip for fun. Just giving this info as a point of reference when I say I'm really impressed with the Cobb access port and their latest tunes for the 2018, and the Ecoboost Mustang. I think that means something coming from a 50 year old guy with a V8 chevy background that's now on his 3rd Mustang, latest 2 being ecoboost's.

Anyways,
If you compare the COBB hp and torque graphs for 2018 stage 1,2,and 3 you can see that stage 2 gains upper hp, BUT, gives up some torque below 2500 rpm compared to stage 1 and 3. Adding a turbo back and running stage 3 gets the low end torque back from stage 1 but gains even more upper hp compared to stage 2. I haven't run the stage 3 yet because I don't have the turbo back yet. But I did run the stage 2 with my friends CIA installed, and I didn't like how it felt on the bottom end, I like the low end torque gains of the Stage 1, so I'm going to run that and just go right to stage 3 in the spring when I upgrade to the COBB turbo back.

Sponsored

BigBootyJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 w/ AT | Oxford White w/ Black Accent Package
Just for reference:

Airaid tube AEM dryflow
ATM intercooler and silicone "pipes"
6510's
3" catless DP with stock resonator back
20190102_203729.jpg
Are you running the stage 3 or custom tune?

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
@Marvinmadman
Interesting, so you are running the COBB stage 3 with just a downpipe, intercooler and Airaid MIT+dropin filter?
Did you have to edit the tune a bit?
Have you data logged these parameters shown in the attached screen shot taken from Stratified website on what to monitor on data log to see how tune is working?
Just curious, because I was thinking of trying out the stage 3 with just getting the COBB downpipe, since I already have a nice intercooler and straight through axle backs.
Also, based on my experimenting with my friends CIA, I'm not convinced the CIA is needed. The factory airbox and filter somehow flow enough CFM to supply a 460 HP Coyote engine, I would think it would supply enough cfm for a lightly modified EB spinning the stock turbo.
IMG_0959.PNG

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
Also have a UPR DVCC and crankcase breather. 6510's as I stated before.
No tune edit and no I haven't. I can log it, but who's gonna review it?

TurboStang18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
You can review the datalogs yourself, but you would need to know how to interpret the data.
The Accessport saves the datalog as a .csv file that you can then import into Excel and view all the logged parameters.
Once its in Excel, you can then select the columns you want to view as a line graph. Example: I have my Accessport set to datalog the parameters in that screen shot i posted.
I data logged a full 3rd gear pull from 2500rpm to redline. I took that datalog file and imported it into Excel. So what I wanted to know was, my knock count for all cylinders, where they occurred under load, how intense they were, and if/ how the timing bounced back after correction.
In Excel, I selected the 4 columns pertaining to cylinder ignition correction, Ign corr cyl1,2,3 and 4, and created a line graph to get a visual of the dynamics. I can also look at the datalog chart and see exactly when and where the knock occurred, how intense it was, and if it kept occurring.
This stuff is all free, it's just part of the Accessport features. You can't edit the tune, but you can see everything that's going on and know exactly how your tune is running.
To learn how to interpret the data so you can monitor your tunes, there's a bunch of free information available at Stratified Automotive Controls website.
The COBB Accessport is an Awesome tool, regardless of who's tune you are running. Sorry if I info overloaded or sidetracked the thread, but I'm a design engineer and I get geeked out on this stuff. Plus I thinks it pretty nuts what you can do now days, compared to hotrodding when I was a kid.
IMG_0969.jpg
IMG_0970.jpg

Sponsored

zsameer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with PP
I am thinking about getting the Accessport for my 2018 with performance pack. I just have a question for people who have already tuned their cars with this. how do the current driving modes in the car work with this tune? i mean which mode does this tune affect? or does it enhance all the drive modes?

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
Driving modes are enhanced acreoss the board.

Unfortunately, I cannot review the OTS maps as I am running a custom tune from CP-e, but I'll just put it out here that stage 3 Cobb OTS is Peanuts compared to my tune.

Marvinmadman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 EBM
I know it's not an exact science, but could you post your EST HP/TQ for internet comparison purposes?

Unfortunately, I cannot review the OTS maps as I am running a custom tune from CP-e, but I'll just put it out here that stage 3 Cobb OTS is Peanuts compared to my tune.

OP
OP

prostovovatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Ecoboost Manual Performance Pack
You mean the Cobb AP output of Max HP/TQ in Normal/Sport+/ Track?

Which gears would you want me to do the pulls with? 3rd? 4th? 2nd?

zsameer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost Premium with PP

Thanks.
Sponsored