Sponsored

2016 GT full suspension bolt on project

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
2016 GT - PP - 18,500 miles.
Full suspension upgrade. Been gathering parts for about 6 months now and finally ready to have a wrench turning jamboree. Just waiting for last couple of parts to come in next week
:headbang:

Will give before and after change in handling report soon...

Eventually car will be getting twin turbos and Tremec Magnum XL 2.66 with McLeod twin disk (trans and clutch sitting in the garage now as well)

Gh95i.jpg

Pedders xtreme coil covers - 2" drop planned
Pedders sway bars
Pedders caster/camber plates
Steeda rear subframe brace
Steeda rear subframe bushing support
Steeda vertical links with urethane bushings
SR toe links
FoMoCo toe link bushings
Steeda lower control arm spherical bushings
Steeda bumpsteer tie rod ends
Steeda adjustable sway bar end links
Steeda urethane differential inserts
Steeda rear subframe alignment inserts
Steeda jacking rails
Steeda rear adjustable camber arms
Steeda billet rear shock mounts
Steeda front control arm package
Sponsored

Last edited:

keiths2kgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT PP 50th AP
So do you hang with those crazy Memphis dudes that were on street outlaws?

OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Not quite my speed with those guys. After watching that show I now understand why a buddy of mine quite racing in that class, after he complained it was tough to get anyone to actually race instead of stand around and talk sh*t all the time.

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.mospeedusa.com
First Name
Mo
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White 2017 GT PP
Looks like an awesome set up! I'm interested to hear your thoughts once everything is installed and dialed in. I considered Pedders on my car originally before option for the ST XTA - They look like top notch pieces for sure.

OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
I was definitely impressed with build quality of the Pedders coil overs and caster plates when they arrived. They have been well respected in the Chevy world for years from the research I could find on them.

I have also added the Steeda Front Control Arms to the list of parts now as well.
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...sion-Links-w-Bearings-2015-2018-_p_14093.html

Saw them on the web site as I was ordering the last parts this morning.

As a foot note you want the Steeda rear billet shock mounts with 10mm - 1.25 threads for the Pedders shocks.
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...--10mm-125-Rear-Shocks-15-18-All_p_14018.html

Sponsored

OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Well, I have a ton of pics, but Photobucket is nuts for the $ they want now to host pics... Let me try and find a new hosting site

1. Steering response is twice as accurate. Very precise.
2. No noticeable NVH while driving. Only when driving over grooved bridge pavement, it transmits though the car much more now. Other than that it feels and sounds the same to me.
3. The out of the box shock setting for the Pedders shocks is VERY VERY firm. I will dial them almost all the way "soft" for daily driving
4. The car is incredibly "planted" compared to the PP gear. Rear end is rock solid and zero wheel hop and zero body roll.
5. My driveshaft vibration has completely disappeared. I dont know if it was lowering the body to help with pinion angle, or squaring up the subframe with Steeda's inserts, or the differential bushings, but the driveshaft hum at freeway speeds 100% gone.

Measured a 2" drop with the out of the box Pedder's coil overs.

Last edited:

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
Well, I have a ton of pics, but Photobucket is nuts for the $ they want now to host pics... Let me try and find a new hosting site

1. Steering response is twice as accurate. Very precise.
2. No noticeable NVH while driving. Only when driving over grooved bridge pavement, it transmits though the car much more now. Other than that it feels and sounds the same to me.
3. The out of the box shock setting for the Pedders shocks is VERY VERY firm. I will dial them almost all the way "soft" for daily driving
4. The car is incredibly "planted" compared to the PP gear. Rear end is rock solid and zero wheel hop and zero body roll.
5. My driveshaft vibration has completely disappeared. I dont know if it was lowering the body to help with pinion angle, or squaring up the subframe with Steeda's inserts, or the differential bushings, but the driveshaft hum at freeway speeds 100% gone.

Measured a 2" drop with the out of the box Pedder's coil overs.
The Steeda IRS subframe support braces have been known to reduce driveline vibration. Due to adding more integrity to the IRS subframe to chassis.

Looking forward to your pics.
Mike D

OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Measured out at 2" drop in the front and 1" drop in the rear from the factory PP springs.
Will probably raise the front up about 1/2". It's a little low for pulling in driveways and dodging potholes

aCGFv.jpg

OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
So after a week or so of driving around and playing with shock stiffness settings I'm pretty happy with the results.

1. NVH
Noise - Road noise is definitely transmitted more through the car, but nothing that is annoying or not drowned out by the radio. I do have a slight gear whine coming from the differential, but it's mild and livable.
Vibration - Haven't really notice any increase in Vibration - in fact with my driveshaft vibration disappearing the car has much less vibration then it used to.
Harshness - This is definitely the one thing that is border line unacceptable. Pot holes and even small hard bumps or ridges in the pavement are extremely harsh and send a teeth rattling jolt through the car.

2. Pedder's coil over ride quality.
Out of the box settings gave me a 2" drop up front and a 1" in back. I will probably raise the front end about 1/2" to 3/4" - Getting a jack under the car is a real chore now and I've bottomed out hitting a dip pretty bad twice already.

The shock settings out of the box were teeth rattling stiff. WAY WAY too stiff for any kind of daily street driving. Dialing the shocks back to 3 to 4 clicks up from full soft made a huge difference. Still much stiffer than the stock PP gear, but fairly smooth and soft without all the floatiness of stock gear.

3. Performance
Performance is over the top. All the vague slop in suspension when pushing it near the edge is completely gone. Car is VERY planted. No body roll. No brake dive. Hard launches dont squat the rear end. The car just shoots out of the hole with zero wheel hop.

4. Steering
It's hard to describe the level of increase in steering precision and accuracy. It's definitely a two hands on the wheel at all times car now. You move the steering wheel a 1/16th of an inch and it goes darting in that direction. It's take a little bit of getting used to to not over control the car at higher speeds. VERY pleased with this upgrade in performance.

4. Alignment
Alignment was easily set to factory specs and tolerances with the help of all the Steeda parts and matching Pedder's front caster plates.

88JxSM.jpg

88Cy49.jpg

88Cxro.jpg

Solid spherical bearing on rear lower control arm
88Caiv.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
Oh yeah ..... and next on the list ... :ninja:

2.66 Magnum XL with McLeod twin disk

88Jape.jpg

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Nice suspension build. Your description of how it feels sound similar to how I would describe my car.

And I'd agree on the steering. With my car it's definitely a two hands on the wheel car now. The only thing I don't have is the front control arm package and I have springs/shocks versus your coilovers.

That's a really nice build you have there.

The NVH you describe, that is just the nature of stiffening the suspension. And I'd wager it is more a factor of stiffening the IRS then the contribution the coilover are having, although that is a big factor as well. You're much less isolated from the road and so you will feel everything more, which seems obvious but one I wanted to point out anyway.

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Beautiful car and impressive list of go-fast-goodies. Hopefully you built some sort of “mod-monster” out of all those bits before you installed them...and took pics :cool:

Consider adding more camber in the front, especially if you decide to switch to a softer spring in the future and need to realign anyhow. No reason to be conservative with your alignment considering your aggressive suspension.
Sponsored