Sponsored

2015 Mustang EB/V8 Vs. 2015 WRX/STI

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I know before everyone gives me hard time about RWD Vs. AWD debate, I just wanted to see others' opinion on comparing these two.
Seems like the price point of EB is comparable to WRX($25k-$30K). V8 to STI ($35k-$40k).

I think Mustang wins on the looks! Even though WRX has that, "only mother can love" type of look. I think I can get used to it and learn to like it. I can see WRX/STI being more practical. AWD and 4 doors.

I'm not much of a mechanical/technical guy. I used to do my own maintenance in my teenage years, but not anymore. I put gas in it and take it to the dealership when I need to. Which would have more reliability issue?

If I get the subie, probably WRX. If I buy the Mustang it'd be V8.

WRX/STI has come up on my radar recently as a alternative to S550. I'm just trying to keep my options open. Let me hear what you think. I'm just holding out til I can test drive the new Mustang, but it doesn't hurt to consider other options.
Sponsored

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
They're different experiences.

There's a good chance the STI would be inline with the GT on the track just because of AWD and the fact that its so light. If you're going purely for a racing perspective and like the way it handles, then go for the STI. Even as a Ford employee I have no problem telling you to go that route if it's really what you prefer.

However, with the mustang you get a pure feeling exhilaration and power. Combined with the IRS I think you'll find the car basically be able to do what ever you command it to. Plus there is the added benefit of the '15 being pure eye candy - I can guarantee you from they way people stare at them in our parking lots you'll get a lot more positive attention this way (the Suburu will still get you looks, just for the wrong reasons).

So as I said earlier, go for the experience you want. I think as a whole Ford would rather have happy customers that pick Mustang for personal enjoyment, rather than people feeling coerced into purchasing one.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
The old Mustang GT posted better track times than the new 2015 STI...The new mustang will annihilate the STI. (Look up willow springs track times)

The STI engine is a decade old and has horrible gas mileage..

You will always worry about modding because the STI Ringland issues..Almost everyone of my friends with that engine have had issues.

I have a friend with an STI and drove it for a while. The power range is awful for a DD..You are either stepping in a pile of mush (low rpm) or ringing its neck and in line for a ticket.

In 2017 they will dump the WRX engine in the STI...

WRX is OK but I personally feel the EB will be much better to mod. I'm not a Ford fan boy I'm just not impressed with the hype we were sold with the STI and the product we got. There is no choice, in my opinion, between the GT and the WRX. Different leagues of cars and the only reason in my mind to pick the Sub is if you have to have 4 doors. If you want a more apples to apples go get an EVO X.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I've been an STi fan for a while, but I'm not terribly impressed with the new for a couple of reasons:
1. No hatchback. I figure, if you're going for the utilitarian sports car, go all the way and get the hatch. Don't half-ass it with the sedan (just being a jerk to get the point across. I have nothing against the sedan other than it being less cool than the hatch).
2. Old engine. I know the emphasis for this generation was improving the handling and interior (much like the Mustang in that regard), but it was disappointing that there were no updates to the engine, especially because of the potential reliability issues. I do have a track-day friend with a modded STi and he is extremely quick and has had great reliability, but the failure rate of the engine is too high for my taste.

I know the Coyote isn't brand new for the 2015, but it does have significant updates that I believe will help it's day-to-day performance even if the peak numbers aren't hugely different. I wish Subaru had at least done something like that (or even put in the WRX engine with some improvements to increase power).

Overall I'm a little underwhelmed about the STi.

My feeling is the opposite for the Mustang. I was never much of a fan until the Boss 302, and then mostly because of the engine. This new design has completely won me over and I am eagerly awaiting some driving impressions to see if the handling has been improved to where it will be a sporty feeling car (rather than just fast due to power and high levels of grip).

-T

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
I will agree with the above comments. The outgoing mustang model is faster around the track than the brand new STI. The new mustang will be that much better.

The 2015 STi still has the old EJ motor which is notorious for failures. The new FA motor in the 2015 wrx seems to have some issues as well already. The STi has always intrigued me, but for a car I would use on road only, the mustang wins in every category except rear seat space for passengers.

Sponsored

Boosted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Focus RS,,
Trading in my 2013 STI for a 2015 Mustang GT.Already on order,eta Nov.
Looks and power win with the Mustang.
Crappy Engine on STI ,and if you want to mod it you are on your own.
Mustang is the way to go:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThatsMrGimp2U

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Everette
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang (Oxford White, PP)
Interior is going to be a lot more refined in the mustangs I believe. Interiors aren't subarus forte

cowzrul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '20 F-Pace SVR, '19 F250
I don't know if this will help but I will give you my recent history which just might.
I traded in a 2010 Tundra (V8) for a 2011 Subaru WRX Limited. I liked the WRX handling and power was good top end but the turbo spooled funny to me. SO at 500 miles I installed a Cobb Tuner which helped. After several months I just didn't like the the power nor did I care much for the comfort of the seats. Traded that in on a 2012 F150 ecoboost. Right away I bought the Livernois Tuner. While I really liked the comfort (loaded FX4) the ecoboost wasn't what I thought it would be and the stupid brakes squealed. A little less then 20k on the odometer and it was time to get back in a V8 (2014 Tundra). Summary -> V8 to flat 4 turbo to v6 turbo back to V8.

I think after you test drive the WRX and the Mustang you will know.

EcoSnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard EB PP
I would take my Ecoboost over the 2008 STi I used to own without any regrets. Not even a comparison, but never drove the new sedan. Don't think it's that much different than the 2008 though.

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
2. Old engine. I know the emphasis for this generation was improving the handling and interior (much like the Mustang in that regard), but it was disappointing that there were no updates to the engine, especially because of the potential reliability issues. I do have a track-day friend with a modded STi and he is extremely quick and has had great reliability, but the failure rate of the engine is too high for my taste.
This is my biggest complaint about the STI's. I keep thinking, surely they'll come out with a new engine soon. But nada :(

As far as looks goes, I actually like it - so long as its a dark blue (dunno why, always liked dark blue STI's). Gotta love the AWD and I personally like the blow off valve sound (but I'd imagine you'd need to go to the aftermarket for that).

All of that said, though, I'd get the GT. I'm not knocking the STI, its an amazing car, but for me it'd be the GT. Maybe if they'd come off the STI price a little I'd be interested in jumping on one, but taking that into consideration give me a long hooded nice sounding very quick and easily modded V8.

CooterK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot GT PP
I test drove a 2015 STI sedan, and while I can say its an awesome car, for myself as a bigger guy, the interior just wasn't cutting it. With a passenger the interior space is just downright cramped, not to mention that its got to be the worst interior parts quality I've ever seen in a ~$40k car. The performance is surely there, but I feel like the thrills per dollar are miles ahead with the 2015 GT. Maybe when they finally come out with a new engine it will be a different story, but for me in 2015 it wasn't even a close competition.

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Was in the same predictment when I bought my PP base GT in Nov. As my Modded STI has been a great DD, AX, Track car. Has given me a reliable hard105 k with no issues other than maint (though that svc was a pretty penny in parts, glad I can do my own labor for repairs). GT shouldn't need more than occasional set of plugs and fluids changed. Really need to know what the plans are for you. If you need room or deal with snow, the STI. I have other vehicles to deal with room and snow, so it wasn't a priority for me. I was looking for a bang for the buck base platform vehicle, plenty of bang for the buck aftermarket support for modding and to pull same duties as my STI (all traits of the older STIs). They've gotten heavier, bloated and less focused over the years (coming from a GD owner).

The new STI was priced ridiculously for the car (especially after their ridiculous 7k markup, hahahah). The 14's looked good, the 15's you need a Pokemon sticker on the back window. Many are still having issues with the 2.5 and stock tunes (WRXs are having clutch issues cropping up, good friend with a babied 15 WRX at 9 k had tranny pulled for a smoked clutch, so they're not rating high on my book either). Taking the STI out for a run was underwhelming and just what everyone says about it. Good car, just long in the tooth. Especially with pricing and competition.

Finally going IRS on this model put em on my short list. The GT rose to the top on my criteria.

Koncealed

Koncealed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Was in the same predictment when I bought my PP base GT in Nov. As my Modded STI has been a great DD, AX, Track car. Has given me a reliable hard105 k with no issues other than maint (though that svc was a pretty penny in parts, glad I can do my own labor for repairs). GT shouldn't need more than occasional set of plugs and fluids changed. Really need to know what the plans are for you. If you need room or deal with snow, the STI. I have other vehicles to deal with room and snow, so it wasn't a priority for me. I was looking for a bang for the buck base platform vehicle, plenty of bang for the buck aftermarket support for modding and to pull same duties as my STI (all traits of the older STIs). They've gotten heavier, bloated and less focused over the years (coming from a GD owner).

The new STI was priced ridiculously for the car (especially after their ridiculous 7k markup, hahahah). The 14's looked good, the 15's you need a Pokemon sticker on the back window. Many are still having issues with the 2.5 and stock tunes (WRXs are having clutch issues cropping up, good friend with a babied 15 WRX at 9 k had tranny pulled for a smoked clutch, so they're not rating high on my book either). Taking the STI out for a run was underwhelming and just what everyone says about it. Good car, just long in the tooth. Especially with pricing and competition.

Finally going IRS on this model put em on my short list. The GT rose to the top on my criteria.
lol totally wrong..

Highwayman

Been there.. Done that..
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kraig
Vehicle(s)
15 OW Base GT/PP/Recarros,Built STI,Built Jeep JK
Last edited: