Sponsored

2015 Mustang Base GT - what is needed to get through HPDE?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Honestly, what do I need to make it through HPDE? My initial thought is at least the PP radiator and wrapping the exhaust near the diff. I want to focus on first what I NEED to make it through without overheating such that I need to withdraw.

I have some on track experience via Trackcross/Tracksprint type events but I've never done continuous lapping. I wouldn't say I'm "fast" but I was at least able to finish well in my class and in the upper half of car lap times overall in the events I participated in. I will say I'm "OK" in terms of pace.

Here are the specs and mods to the car:

2015 GT (Base), Auto 6R80 Trans
- Added Brembo 6 piston
- 2018 intake manifold
- LU47 injectors
- JLT CAI open box
- Raybestos slotted rotors and street performance brake pads, 1200 deg F temp rating (I know I'll probably need better track pads and fresh set of rotors for them)
- Motul RBF 600 fluid
- Ohlins R&T coilovers (515F/800R)
- Front Control arm bearings
- J&M camber plates -2.5/-2 camber currently
- BMR rear camber arm adjustable.
- BMR CB005
- Steeda RLCA bearing
- Steeda Vertical Links
- FP toe knuckle bearing
- PP front splitter and ZL1 add-ons front splitter lip
- PP belly pan
- MRR M600 19x11 Bridgestone RE71R 305/30R19

I know most of these mods aren't relevant to the task at hand, but I wanted to list them for transparency and background. Cooling will be my main problem.

Does the 6R80 have a Trans cooler? Do I need one? Will I need an aftermarket oil cooler? Stuff like that. What should I do in regards to the radiator?

Thank you very much in advance. It is much appreciated.
Sponsored

Last edited:

RMoeslein

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2020 f250 lariat Tremor
I ran HPDE in my stock 2014 manual gt. Then with that same 2014 with a Roush blower kit. I also ran multiple HPDE in my 2019 whipple gt pp2. I never had an issue with anything overheating or going into limp mode. Im not the fastest or slowest, prob middle of the pack.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I ran HPDE in my stock 2014 manual gt. Then with that same 2014 with a Roush blower kit. I also ran multiple HPDE in my 2019 whipple gt pp2. I never had an issue with anything overheating or going into limp mode. Im not the fastest or slowest, prob middle of the pack.
What CHT's did you have during typical runs at good pace (peak and average) and what were the ambient conditions?

RMoeslein

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1, 2020 f250 lariat Tremor
Neither car had the cht option in the settings. I was however able to monitor that with sct tuner, unfortunately i dont remember the temps. before covid was my last track day. i now have mach 1 i want to get out there with.

Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, what do I need to make it through HPDE? My initial thought is at least the PP radiator and wrapping the exhaust near the diff. I want to focus on first what I NEED to make it through without overheating such that I need to withdraw.

I have some on track experience via Trackcross/Tracksprint type events but I've never done continuous lapping. I wouldn't say I'm "fast" but I was at least able to finish well in my class and in the upper half of car lap times overall in the events I participated in. I will say I'm "OK" in terms of pace.

Here are the specs and mods to the car:

2015 GT (Base), Auto 6R80 Trans
- Added Brembo 6 piston
- 2018 intake manifold
- LU47 injectors
- JLT CAI open box
- Raybestos slotted rotors and street performance brake pads, 1200 deg F temp rating (I know I'll probably need better track pads and fresh set of rotors for them)
- Motul RBF 600 fluid
- Ohlins R&T coilovers (515F/800R)
- Front Control arm bearings
- J&M camber plates -2.5/-2 camber currently
- BMR rear camber arm adjustable.
- BMR CB005
- Steeda RLCA bearing
- Steeda Vertical Links
- FP toe knuckle bearing
- PP front splitter and ZL1 add-ons front splitter lip
- PP belly pan
- MRR M600 19x11 Bridgestone RE71R 305/30R19

I know most of these mods aren't relevant to the task at hand, but I wanted to list them for transparency and background. Cooling will be my main problem.

Does the 6R80 have a Trans cooler? Do I need one? Will I need an aftermarket oil cooler? Stuff like that. What should I do in regards to the radiator?

Thank you very much in advance. It is much appreciated.
Your car seems pretty well setup already from Autox. You don't need anything. Go have fun!

You "may" have overheat issues but that's dependent on all sorts of variables and you won't know for sure if you have then issue until you drive the car.

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Thanks guys! That's good advice. I should probably get the pads and do a fresh fluid flush and just run it. Afterward I'll know what issues if any, I need to address.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks guys! That's good advice. I should probably get the pads and do a fresh fluid flush and just run it. Afterward I'll know what issues if any, I need to address.
Buy a good set of pads GLoc R12/R10 for example. As the brakes will overheat way before anything else. For me and you know I have similar mods it's usually breaks first, then CHT's reach 240F where it starts pulling timing and I just back out. You can continue stepping on it.

My usual set of preparation for a track season is as fallow:

1. Fresh Oil - I go with Castrol Edge (Motorcraft) 5W20
2. Fresh brake fluid - Motul RBF660 or now I'm switching to Castrol SRF
3. Fresh Diff fluid - 75W140 Motul Gear Competition
4. Fresh Trance fluid in my case Motul Multi-DCTF

Regarding overheating stock tunes are very capable in protecting the motor.

Overall go out and have fun :)

OP
OP
Bluemustang

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
OMG, I'm really sorry to be so rude, but please try search next time!
There is a goldmine of info in the Track section.
Duly noted 👌

Reactions: GTP

Sponsored

Xgamex22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ahmed
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium none pp 21
I live in a hot part of the world here and i have premium 21 so you could call it base gt for all i care i ran couple of track days and here is my issue :
1- suspension very soft (you have ohlins you are safe) so i got the FA500 for budget reasons and upgrade capability and hey if i get good and more track days i will get the ohlins
2- brake cooling my calipers warped from heat : no matter if you run 4 or 6 piston get some form of cooling i got the undertray from cj and brake cooling deflector from vorshlag
3- wrap exhaust near diff no matter what temp
4- get a diff lockout
5-cht reached 130c (we are rest of the world we use metric 🤣) so im thinking of oil cooler and bigger rad but you might not needed where you live

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I live in a hot part of the world here and i have premium 21 so you could call it base gt for all i care i ran couple of track days and here is my issue :
1- suspension very soft (you have ohlins you are safe) so i got the FA500 for budget reasons and upgrade capability and hey if i get good and more track days i will get the ohlins
2- brake cooling my calipers warped from heat : no matter if you run 4 or 6 piston get some form of cooling i got the undertray from cj and brake cooling deflector from vorshlag
3- wrap exhaust near diff no matter what temp
4- get a diff lockout
5-cht reached 130c (we are rest of the world we use metric 🤣) so im thinking of oil cooler and bigger rad but you might not needed where you live
130C is a lot for CHT.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hence my 10k usd with expensive shipping from us upgrade, well not all for cht but to make this car a track ready.
what did you order :?
Sponsored