Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
I wanted to do a quick write up on this, since I've owned both cars and have some more seat time in my S550.

I'm not a fan boy for either brand, I'm just a car guy. The reason I'm in a S550 is because someone decided to hit me while I was at a high rate of speed and ended up rolling my camaro.

On to the cars. My camaro (used 14k)was a base SS with the 1LE package. Pretty awesome car honestly. Only mods were a tune (compliments of RDP) and muffler deletes. The handling was absolutely amazing, but it came at a cost. It beats you to death.

My (new to me) mustang has 13k on it. Comp orange premium performance package. On things it doesn't have is Navi and shaker. I absolutely love the interior of this car. But I'm not going to really compare this too much.

Steering feel, slight edge to the camaro. It's variable steering is pretty freaking awesome. Period. Plus the thicker, flat bottom steering wheel is a plus.

Handling, slight edge to the camaro. Very capable, until you over throttle it. But my car had perellis on the back, which were garbage on this car. But it beats you to death. The mustang is more forgiving and better for longer drives. If they were daily cars, I'd pick mustang. Weekend track car, camaro.

Transmission/clutch. Overall, I pick the camaro. Take off, the mustang feels better, but changing gears feels more artificial. The camaro and a much better feel, better positive engagement. If it's your first manual car, I'd pick the mustang. Easier to learn on. Experienced driver, camaro.

Engine. Honestly, it's a draw. I do like the torque curve the camaro had and always having power down low. But it gets sluggish in the upper rpms. I'm still getting used to the Rev happy coyote. The low end torque of the camaro makes the car squirrelly with ease. Exhaust notes, I love both of them.

Driver aids/electronics. Mustang all day. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the torque management on the mustang. But everything makes the car much more drive able and civilized daily. I never used the launch control on the camaro and I haven't on the mustang either.

Brakes. Camaro wins. Having brembos at all four corners balances the car better under heavy braking. Plus it's nice eye candy. I think if the mustang wasn't so sensitive and and had better rear brakes, it'd be an easy winner.

They're both great cars and will suit different needs. Overall, I like the mustang more, plus I have all the fancy shit in it. If the road track was closer and more affordable, I'd probably go camaro. But since it's not, I'm quiet happy with my purchase. The mustang is more civilized and daily friendly. The camaro feels more like a true track car.
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Sounds like a fair review, and mimics what I've read from other sources. Glad you are enjoying the Mustang! One nice thing is the huge aftermarket, which makes it easy to tailor the car to your specific desires. Thanks for the review.

-T

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I wanted to do a quick write up on this, since I've owned both cars and have some more seat time in my S550.

I'm not a fan boy for either brand, I'm just a car guy. The reason I'm in a S550 is because someone decided to hit me while I was at a high rate of speed and ended up rolling my camaro.

On to the cars. My camaro (used 14k)was a base SS with the 1LE package. Pretty awesome car honestly. Only mods were a tune (compliments of RDP) and muffler deletes. The handling was absolutely amazing, but it came at a cost. It beats you to death.

My (new to me) mustang has 13k on it. Comp orange premium performance package. On things it doesn't have is Navi and shaker. I absolutely love the interior of this car. But I'm not going to really compare this too much.

Steering feel, slight edge to the camaro. It's variable steering is pretty freaking awesome. Period. Plus the thicker, flat bottom steering wheel is a plus.

Handling, slight edge to the camaro. Very capable, until you over throttle it. But my car had perellis on the back, which were garbage on this car. But it beats you to death. The mustang is more forgiving and better for longer drives. If they were daily cars, I'd pick mustang. Weekend track car, camaro.

Transmission/clutch. Overall, I pick the camaro. Take off, the mustang feels better, but changing gears feels more artificial. The camaro and a much better feel, better positive engagement. If it's your first manual car, I'd pick the mustang. Easier to learn on. Experienced driver, camaro.

Engine. Honestly, it's a draw. I do like the torque curve the camaro had and always having power down low. But it gets sluggish in the upper rpms. I'm still getting used to the Rev happy coyote. The low end torque of the camaro makes the car squirrelly with ease. Exhaust notes, I love both of them.

Driver aids/electronics. Mustang all day. Even though I'm not a huge fan of the torque management on the mustang. But everything makes the car much more drive able and civilized daily. I never used the launch control on the camaro and I haven't on the mustang either.

Brakes. Camaro wins. Having brembos at all four corners balances the car better under heavy braking. Plus it's nice eye candy. I think if the mustang wasn't so sensitive and and had better rear brakes, it'd be an easy winner.

They're both great cars and will suit different needs. Overall, I like the mustang more, plus I have all the fancy shit in it. If the road track was closer and more affordable, I'd probably go camaro. But since it's not, I'm quiet happy with my purchase. The mustang is more civilized and daily friendly. The camaro feels more like a true track car.
Sounds reasonable to me. The PP is a little soft for a track package. But it won't bust a kidney either.

OP
OP
armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
Thank you for the feedback. I'm really liking the reasonable people on this forum so far. No unneeded flaming. Before buying my car, I was on the coyote car Facebook page. Nothing but a shit show. Even after I purchased my car, it was ridiculous.

After having both cars, I can really see where the big car review people are coming from. Motor trend, C&D and so on. I really hope ford ups the game when GM drops the 2017 1le.

One thing I'll add too. You definitely adapt the S550 to being more track orientated, cheaper than you can get a 1LE to be more civilized. I really wish I had 2SS 1LE to make a better overall comparison.

I plan on putting BMR Springs on my car. That should firm it up a little and give it a perfect stance. I'm really excited and I also plan doing a rear brake kit.

Also, interior wise, the premium is awesome. I had a E46 BMW for a tad over two years. The mustang is nicer and gives you that German handling and feedback.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
a fair review that is in line with what most sane people from both camps have said in the past

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
Too many more reasonable and well thought out posts like this ..and the VS section might become reasonable and a place of legitimate discussion.

Let that be a warnin' to ya ;)

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Nice comparison.

Interestingly you didn't bring up visibility, which IMO, is the #1 thing that I hated about the Camaro. Being tall made it even worse.

OP
OP

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
  • Banned
Stop, your making too much sense in the VS. section.
I'm new here, give me time haha.

Too many more reasonable and well thought out posts like this ..and the VS section might become reasonable and a place of legitimate discussion.

Let that be a warnin' to ya ;)
I'll unfu3k myself soon

Nice comparison.

Interestingly you didn't bring up visibility, which IMO, is the #1 thing that I hated about the Camaro. Being tall made it even worse.
It was definitely an issue. My company vehicle has visibility issues too, so it wasn't a big deal to me.

The roofline is actually higher in the S550 cars and that's something I forgot to mention. It a huge plus for guys in my height range (6ft+)

Car Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but I mean we are comparing the new Stang to a car not produced anymore?

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I mean this in the least offensive way possible, but I mean we are comparing the new Stang to a car not produced anymore?
So?:doh:The GT350R got compared to the Z28 that came before it. That got compared to the boss 302 that came before it.................Etc. Etc. Etc.......... Both cars were built in 2015. But troll away.:headbonk:

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Is Ford still making the 2015 Mustang GT PP? I don't think so.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Have spent seat time in both a 2015 1LE-optioned SS and a 2016 GT/PP, I would agree with most of your observations. The 1LE package is definitely the more aggressive suspension setup and, quite frankly, had ride quality that was noticeably harsher than that of my current GT350R. The one area I would disagree with though, is in the area of braking. I feel the GT is better in this area despite not having a Brembo setup in the rear.

Now, if you want to talk 6thGen 2017 SS with a 1LE package compared to a 2017 GT/PP, then it is really no contest at this point based on what we know about both offerings.

Last edited:

Car Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
Have spent seat time in both a 2015 1LE-optioned SS and a 2016 GT/PP, I would agree with most of your observations. The 1LE package is definitely the more aggressive suspension setup and, quite frankly, had ride quality that was noticeably harsher than that of my current GT350R. The one area I would disagree with though, is in the area of braking. I feel the GT is better in this area despite not having a Brembo setup in the rear.

Now, if you want to talk 6thGen 2017 SS with a 1LE package compared to a 2017 GT/PP, then it is really no contest at this point based on what we know about both offerings.
Bingo.
Sponsored