Sponsored

2015-2016 Shelby GT350/GT350R Mustang Orders Placed (Vote/Share Here)

Which 2015+ Shelby GT350/R Mustang did you order

• Total voters

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
I know this is the Mustang forum, and I'm very excited to get a screaming 8250 RPM Shelby, however, for comparison sake, I bought a certain car from another American manufacturer a few years ago, similar situation:
New car, never been built before, different front clip, brand new engine, different tires, brakes, frame etc.

When they assigned the serial number last of January they told me my car would have the "marriage" of chassis and body on March 30 at 12:30pm. I arranged to go the factory and watch it being built and March 30 at EXACTLY 12:30pm the body came sliding down the rails and mated up to the chassis. AND one week later I picked the car up.

So, I am super excited to get my hands on this incredible car, but COME ON Ford! Get it together!
So, I am super excited to get my hands on this incredible car, but COME ON Ford! Get it together!
That's not a fair comparison. I paid the $850 (then) to watch my Corvette being assembled on a Buyers Tour in Bowling Green too, but there's nothing comparable between that low-production plant and and a high-volume plant like Flat Rock. (Plus, there's no independently funded Mustang museum a couple of blocks from the Flat Rock plant that offers a museum delivery program like the National Corvette Museum does.) The Corvette plant is set up for daily tours and includes the special Buyers Tours as part of its business plan for generating revenue.

The whole Corvette experience start to finish is totally different from what's available as the Mustang experience, and it doesn't seem Ford is interested in changing that (although events like the Track Tours certainly are appreciated). A better comparison would be how Chevy handles Camaro customers, which is much closer to how Ford handles Mustang customers - and is nothing special.

OTOH, I absolutely agree that from a public relations and customer satisfaction standpoint Ford is doing a really lousy job with GT 350 buyers.
Sponsored

troberts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 350 ordered, 08 bullitt, 14 stingray 3lt Z51
I know this is the Mustang forum, and I'm very excited to get a screaming 8250 RPM Shelby, however, for comparison sake, I bought a certain car from another American manufacturer a few years ago, similar situation:
New car, never been built before, different front clip, brand new engine, different tires, brakes, frame etc.

When they assigned the serial number last of January they told me my car would have the "marriage" of chassis and body on March 30 at 12:30pm. I arranged to go the factory and watch it being built and March 30 at EXACTLY 12:30pm the body came sliding down the rails and mated up to the chassis. AND one week later I picked the car up.

I hear you.. I was able to do same thing with my sting ray while back. tracked the whole process online and then watched it come down through assembly and drove it off the line. easy trip for me, only 1 1/2 hours from bowling green... but you are correct, I have never seen so much trouble on trying to find out something about a $60000 vehicle purchase... or for any amount really. shouldn't be this difficult..

Mustang Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
13 ZL1 vert
That's not a fair comparison. I paid the $850 (then) to watch my Corvette being assembled on a Buyers Tour in Bowling Green too, but there's nothing comparable between that low-production plant and and a high-volume plant like Flat Rock. (Plus, there's no independently funded Mustang museum a couple of blocks from the Flat Rock plant that offers a museum delivery program like the National Corvette Museum does.) The Corvette plant is set up for daily tours and includes the special Buyers Tours as part of its business plan for generating revenue.

The whole Corvette experience start to finish is totally different from what's available as the Mustang experience, and it doesn't seem Ford is interested in changing that (although events like the Track Tours certainly are appreciated). A better comparison would be how Chevy handles Camaro customers, which is much closer to how Ford handles Mustang customers - and is nothing special.

OTOH, I absolutely agree that from a public relations and customer satisfaction standpoint Ford is doing a really lousy job with GT 350 buyers.
OK, to be fair, the ZL1 order banks opened up in January of 2012, I ordered one in early February, it was built in early March and I had it in late April. Less than three months start to finish. There were only about 2400 made so definitely rare and they had a three week delay for some kind of software glitch.

I ordered my Shelby in June, it was scheduled to built in August, pushed back four times, is now built and as of today, there is no schedule to ship it. AND, no real reason given, (I was told there is a huge shipping backlog and that Shelbys have the highest priority, so we should see them ship any day now.) I asked if they were having trouble getting any of their regular Mustang orders and he said, "oh no, we have plenty of regular Mustangs." I'm sure the ironic incongruity of those two statements will dawn on him at some point.

Just don't like to be abused when paying this much for a car. This Mustang will be almost $20K more than the Camaro. :paddle:

Reactions: _M_

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
OK, to be fair, the ZL1 order banks opened up in January of 2012, I ordered one in early February, it was built in early March and I had it in late April. Less than three months start to finish. There were only about 2400 made so definitely rare and they had a three week delay for some kind of software glitch. :
Sounds like Chevy did a good job on the ZL1. How was your dealer experience? ADM/ no ADM? Just curious.

I ordered my Shelby in June, it was scheduled to built in August, pushed back four times, is now built and as of today, there is no schedule to ship it. AND, no real reason given, (I was told there is a huge shipping backlog and that Shelbys have the highest priority, so we should see them ship any day now.) I asked if they were having trouble getting any of their regular Mustang orders and he said, "oh no, we have plenty of regular Mustangs." I'm sure the ironic incongruity of those two statements will dawn on him at some point. :
I don't see the "ironic incongruity". If the cars are different and require different parts and different assembly methods, one car can have all the requirements/processes ironed out and the other not. I do think that the people at Ford shouldn't have told you the car was going to ship in August and multiple other dates. My dealership initially told me that this exact thing would occur and it does on virtually every new Ford release. Ford builds a bunch of cars, runs them through QC, makes fixes to the production parts/processes, builds more cars, runs them through QC, more fixes, etc. and cycles through this until they are satisfied with the quality of the cars. This dealer also said that Ford likes to build quite a few cars before shipping any, then they ship out a high quantity of the cars all at once. My dealer told me this last spring/early summer when we discussed what I wanted. Since you ordered the GT350 from a Ford dealership, they should have also known this - unless the guy you talked to was new or something. The thing is, Ford released a new Edge and Explorer and F-150 recently and all of those vehicles went through the same process. So I can only blame your dealership if they didn't set your expectations.

Just don't like to be abused when paying this much for a car. This Mustang will be almost $20K more than the Camaro. :paddle:
If the information on the internet is correct, your ZL1 Camaro was $56,500 in 2012. What Camaro are you comparing the GT350's price with? A 4 cylinder base car?

I think the ZL1 is awesome - cool ideas into it and I always thought they were neat. I was at a track day and saw a maroon colored ZL1. Good looking car and quick on the track.

Sponsored

Mustang Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
13 ZL1 vert
Sounds like Chevy did a good job on the ZL1. How was your dealer experience? ADM/ no ADM? Just curious.

I don't see the "ironic incongruity". If the cars are different and require different parts and different assembly methods, one car can have all the requirements/processes ironed out and the other not. I do think that the people at Ford shouldn't have told you the car was going to ship in August and multiple other dates. My dealership initially told me that this exact thing would occur and it does on virtually every new Ford release. Ford builds a bunch of cars, runs them through QC, makes fixes to the production parts/processes, builds more cars, runs them through QC, more fixes, etc. and cycles through this until they are satisfied with the quality of the cars. This dealer also said that Ford likes to build quite a few cars before shipping any, then they ship out a high quantity of the cars all at once. My dealer told me this last spring/early summer when we discussed what I wanted. Since you ordered the GT350 from a Ford dealership, they should have also known this - unless the guy you talked to was new or something. The thing is, Ford released a new Edge and Explorer and F-150 recently and all of those vehicles went through the same process. So I can only blame your dealership if they didn't set your expectations.

If the information on the internet is correct, your ZL1 Camaro was $56,500 in 2012. What Camaro are you comparing the GT350's price with? A 4 cylinder base car?

I think the ZL1 is awesome - cool ideas into it and I always thought they were neat. I was at a track day and saw a maroon colored ZL1. Good looking car and quick on the track.
The ironic incongruity is that there is a "huge shipping backlog" and that is the given reason no Shelbys are shipping. The fact that other Mustangs are rolling in, using the same shipping venue as the Shelbys, constitutes an incongruity in the Ford reps statement. Since the incongruity is clear, I am led to believe the explanation is insincere or ironic.

As to the cost difference, I paid slightly over $50 for the ZL1 and a little more than $67 for the Shelby, I rounded up.

Mustang Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
13 ZL1 vert
No ADM for the ZL1 and bought at a considerable discount. I have bought a lot of cars from this dealer. However, I have also bought a lot of cars from the Ford dealer and they charged me $10k ADM. I'm not complaining about that, I agreed to pay it because I wanted the car.

chief135smitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT350 w/track pack
The ironic incongruity is that there is a "huge shipping backlog" and that is the given reason no Shelbys are shipping. The fact that other Mustangs are rolling in, using the same shipping venue as the Shelbys, constitutes an incongruity in the Ford reps statement. Since the incongruity is clear, I am led to believe the explanation is insincere or ironic.

As to the cost difference, I paid slightly over $50 for the ZL1 and a little more than $67 for the Shelby, I rounded up.
I had to look up incongruity you used it so much in this post and to be honest I still don't know what it means.

Google says, ":mullet:The state of being incongruous or out of keeping." I didn't think you could define a word by using the word you are trying to define.

Mustang Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
13 ZL1 vert
I had to look up incongruity you used it so much in this post and to be honest I still don't know what it means.

Google says, ":mullet:The state of being incongruous or out of keeping." I didn't think you could define a word by using the word you are trying to define.
:):) Sorry, it just means that something doesn't make sense with the line of reasoning bein used. :):)

I work in healthcare and incongruity is something we deal with everyday. I should have just said "it doesn't make sense." :)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Mustang Mike said:
The ironic incongruity is that there is a "huge shipping backlog" and that is the given reason no Shelbys are shipping. The fact that other Mustangs are rolling in, using the same shipping venue as the Shelbys, constitutes an incongruity in the Ford reps statement. Since the incongruity is clear, I am led to believe the explanation is insincere or ironic. .
OK I agree with that. Obviously the backlog isn't why they haven't been shipping. There have been some quality issues Ford is trying to resolve, just like they do with every new vehicle.

The other Mustangs do not constitute an incongruity IMO, though. Because those cars do not share all the same parts as the Shelbys.

Mustang Mike said:
I can completely see why you are concerned now that you explain that. You paid less than MSRP for the Camaro and you are paying a lot over MSRP for the Shelby. I wouldn't have paid that much for the Shelby - assuming it wouldn't be worth that much over MSRP. But I bet it will be awesome when you get it. Hopefully you'll be happy with it and glad you paid the extra.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual

Well if Corvette made 150K cars including 4 and 6 bangers you would not get this type service. Remember the base mustang is on the same line as the 350.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
And as a 2015 GT350 buyer, I including a few others in this forum who scored a '15 are all still waiting for our freakin cars to leave the plant let alone even get a release & schedule to ship.

These units were all produced almost 3 months ago... and in short, this is effed up.

Then the regional rep from Ford sales earlier sent a lame email excuse as well stating- "They have started to inspect and release some units. I do not know when this specific mustang will be released."

Jezuz.... "started to inspect?" :confused:

Pathetic. :tsk:

R 350 gt Donson

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2017 F250, F10 BMW M-Sport 2019 GT2
And as a 2015 GT350 buyer, I including a few others in this forum who scored a '15 are all still waiting for our freakin cars to leave the plant let alone even get a release & schedule to ship.

These units were all produced almost 3 months ago... and in short, this is effed up.

Then the regional rep from Ford sales earlier sent a lame email excuse as well stating- "They have started to inspect and release some units. I do not know when this specific mustang will be released."

Jezuz.... "started to inspect?" :confused:

Pathetic. :tsk:

What is amazing is people are driving there 2016's before the guys get there 2015 !! how does this happen?
Sponsored