@dib_5.0
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacques
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Deep Impact Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Can we talk about the leak through the vent issue?

So last night we had a bit of a rain storm here in N. Texas and even though my car was under covered parking, the wind blew quite a bit of the rain all over the car. First thing I did when I got outside this morning was check the filter and it had a bit of water on it and it was mostly toward the front of the filter. Now I will say that it seems as though they have the filter coated with some hydrophobic coating because the water was beading and I was able to knock most of it off with my hand but it was still wet. So, do you guys think this would be a long term issue and what have some of you done or what are your thoughts on sealing off the vent?
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Can we talk about the leak through the vent issue?

So last night we had a bit of a rain storm here in N. Texas and even though my car was under covered parking, the wind blew quite a bit of the rain all over the car. First thing I did when I got outside this morning was check the filter and it had a bit of water on it and it was mostly toward the front of the filter. Now I will say that it seems as though they have the filter coated with some hydrophobic coating because the water was beading and I was able to knock most of it off with my hand but it was still wet. So, do you guys think this would be a long term issue and what have some of you done or what are your thoughts on sealing off the vent?
It's not going to be an issue. A little water no big deal. Not going to hydrolok the engine.

Boilator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Ingot Silver w/Red interior (Navi, GT PP
PP2 Install

Car is getting the PP2 installed today. Crossroads Ford NC is doing the install. I have the PP/6MT

Fingers crossed it goes well; I'll post impressions ASAP.

Lator

Crossroads

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP FRPP2
You can unscrew the 4 screws and suck it out no problem. I like it because it looks stock and isn't some can hanging from a couple tubes. :)
Saw a easier way someone had posted. Connect a length of aquarium tubing to a syringe. Remove the intake hose from the AOS. Insert the hose and suck it out. Syringe measues the amount of oil.

Not as easy as a drain valve but probably as close as you'll get without modding.

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
It's not going to be an issue. A little water no big deal. Not going to hydrolok the engine.
Water on the intake won't hurt it. I actually spray water into my hd carb to clean carbon deposits off the pistons.

Sponsored

Terminator2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
It will mess up MAF reading sometimes to the point of limp mode on my old 2013 GT with an open filter intake. It's easy to fix though that vent is easily blocked off. I used a black plastic coffee can lid I think it was like a 40oz can. Shove it under the hood liner right under the vent. It works perfectly I poured two 4 cup measuring cups full of water right down the vent and zero water went into the box or filter. I put a towel on it to confirm not a drop.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
A few drops of water is going to screw the MAF reading? Maybe running the car with the hood open, but I've pressure washed the living daylights out of the vent area and had no water. Weird. Maybe something has gone right for me once... haha.

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
It will mess up MAF reading sometimes to the point of limp mode on my old 2013 GT with an open filter intake. It's easy to fix though that vent is easily blocked off. I used a black plastic coffee can lid I think it was like a 40oz can. Shove it under the hood liner right under the vent. It works perfectly I poured two 4 cup measuring cups full of water right down the vent and zero water went into the box or filter. I put a towel on it to confirm not a drop.
doesn't that negate the whole purpose of a cold air intake...blocking out the cold air??? :confused:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
I'm still waiting for an auto manufacturer to use an engine that pulls so many cfm that it creates a vacuum in front of the vehicle to reduce wind resistance. Incidentally the exhaust would be at a higher cfm and creating a high pressure area behind the vehicle.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
I'm still waiting for an auto manufacturer to use an engine that pulls so many cfm that it creates a vacuum in front of the vehicle to reduce wind resistance. Incidentally the exhaust would be at a higher cfm and creating a high pressure area behind the vehicle.
I believe you'll want to speak with GE, Lockheed Martin, Pratt, or Rolls Royce.

Those are called jet engines. :) :clap2:

Rich of So Cal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Prem/auto - triple yellow convert
That vent isn't letting any appreciable air in (or out).
then what is the seal at the top of the cai compartment for? and if not from the vent, then it's just hot air from the engine bay. why did we bother, we were already getting that??? :confused::confused:

MarkH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Vert
then what is the seal at the top of the cai compartment for? and if not from the vent, then it's just hot air from the engine bay. why did we bother, we were already getting that??? :confused::confused:
Age old argument. Pulling air close to the heated engine compartment vs an intake on the front of the vehicle. Air is bound to be colder outside rather than in the engine bay area. All the old racers pulled from outside.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
Remember, the CAI is from the GT350 which doesn't have those hood vents.

The CAI also doesn't have stored air in resonators to heat up, and a lot more surface area on the filter which lowers the delta p across the element for equal flow.

While stopped, some air may be pulled in through the hood vent, but while moving that area is low pressure (the leeward side of a vertical disruption).
Sponsored