Sponsored

[?] '18 Intake Manifold on '15-'17

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
I was watching a YouTube Video about putting the 2018 Intake on 11-17 GT's. Main benefit seems to be that it produces significantly more HP / Torque north of 7200 RPM, but the VLogger mentions that these high revs could eat up the oil pump gears pretty quick, and frankly, as my 17 red lines at 6500, how healthy is it for the motor to be consistently running in the 7500 range ?

Peace

Tim
So if the gains of the 2018 manifold are above 7200rpm would I be wasting my money? I rarely drive near redline. Am I better off with just the stock manifold? I mean I want more power, but not if I need to rev high to get it.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So if the gains of the 2018 manifold are above 7200rpm would I be wasting my money? I rarely drive near redline. Am I better off with just the stock manifold? I mean I want more power, but not if I need to rev high to get it.
Maybe you bought the wrong car. This engine is rev happy. Anyone looking to make this engine act like a larger displacement pushrod engine will be sorely disappointed. Anyone who embraces it for what it is and enhances those attributes will enjoy it.

That number is an exaggeration. It makes more power from approximately 5500 on up, and unlike the 15-17 manifold, doesn't drop off a cliff in comparison after 6800. That said, the biggest gains from the 18 manifold come after 7000 rpm precisely because of the lack of drop off vs the older manifold. Up to 50 whp has been seen at 7200+ rpm.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
lol buy the manifold. Trust me I was the same exact way. I would think I would be reving it to redline when in reality I was at 6k lol. I didn’t see a point in doing so for whatever reason. I did the swap and I can’t help but to rev. The money I pay to refill my tank I will get back when the paycheck hits but the feeling it gives you will last a lifetime lol.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
lol buy the manifold. Trust me I was the same exact way. I would think I would be reving it to redline when in reality I was at 6k lol. I didn’t see a point in doing so for whatever reason. I did the swap and I can’t help but to rev. The money I pay to refill my tank I will get back when the paycheck hits but the feeling it gives you will last a lifetime lol.
This. The rush you get revving it out with this manifold is very exciting. You can feel it jump up to another level beyond 6500. I still haven't got used to it and don't think I ever will, it surprises you

That's where this motor shines. Rev it high and embrace it.

poncho@home

GettingOld
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I am trying to decide on the direction of my car and going through 145 pages to get some clear results is not an easy task.

Can anyone speak to their experience with real world results on a MT82 car with this or similar setup:
'18+ intake manifold + tune
Sealed cold air intake or '18+ air intake
3.31 gearing

Before and after 1/4 mile ET & MPH

Sponsored

toplesstripcruiser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Race Red 50th Mustang GT vert, '03 yellow Evo
Maybe you bought the wrong car. This engine is rev happy. Anyone looking to make this engine act like a larger displacement pushrod engine will be sorely disappointed. Anyone who embraces it for what it is and enhances those attributes will enjoy it.

That number is an exaggeration. It makes more power from approximately 5500 on up, and unlike the 15-17 manifold, doesn't drop off a cliff in comparison after 6800. That said, the biggest gains from the 18 manifold come after 7000 rpm precisely because of the lack of drop off vs the older manifold. Up to 50 whp has been seen at 7200+ rpm.
Well that’s one of the reasons I bought a V8. I have had turbo 4’s for a long time. What draws me to the Mustang is it makes a lot of power for a smaller V8. Sure I can get a bigger V8, but defeats the purpose. The Mustang’s engine potency is greater than the other domestic V8’s.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
Well that’s one of the reasons I bought a V8. I have had turbo 4’s for a long time. What draws me to the Mustang is it makes a lot of power for a smaller V8. Sure I can get a bigger V8, but defeats the purpose. The Mustang’s engine potency is greater than the other domestic V8’s.
As said previously, if you're looking for strong low end, it's the wrong engine and wrong manifold. The Coyote V8 needs to wind up to get into the powerband.
I would strongly suggest an E85 tune. It will beef up the bottom end and make it way way more responsive throughout. It makes it feel like an animal in comparison. If you don't plan to rev to 7000 or beyond, I'd skip the 18 manifold and just use the stock one.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
As much as I like the Coyote, how did you figure this? An LSx/LTx with an aggressive cam and aftermarket manifold will absolutely destroy a max-effort NA Coyote.

This engine needs to be wound out. Stock, the 15-17 makes peak power at 6750 rpm. With the 18+ manifold, that peak climbs to over 7000 rpm, and stays much flatter after the peak. Get a PD blower or another car if you're not going to rev it. I don't know what else to tell you.

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
I am trying to decide on the direction of my car and going through 145 pages to get some clear results is not an easy task.

Can anyone speak to their experience with real world results on a MT82 car with this or similar setup:
'18+ intake manifold + tune
Sealed cold air intake or '18+ air intake
3.31 gearing

Before and after 1/4 mile ET & MPH
I’m interested to see responses to this as well.

JJR512

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 50 Years LE #1523
Is there a manifold that provides better low to mid gains than the 18?

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Is there a manifold that provides better low to mid gains than the 18?
The F150 truck manifold is the only one. But power falls off like a cliff after 6k. At first I thought it sounded great, I tried it, and it's not worth it nor is it what this motor is designed for.

Rev it.

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
As much as I like the Coyote, how did you figure this? An LSx/LTx with an aggressive cam and aftermarket manifold will absolutely destroy a max-effort NA Coyote.

This engine needs to be wound out. Stock, the 15-17 makes peak power at 6750 rpm. With the 18+ manifold, that peak climbs to over 7000 rpm, and stays much flatter after the peak. Get a PD blower or another car if you're not going to rev it. I don't know what else to tell you.
those engines are so expensive/labor intensive to cam... for the money to get it done and tuned you could on3 twin turbo the coyote

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Anybody tried the '18+ F150 intake manifold yet?

I have to believe that it would be better than the pre-'18 F150 unit on the top end, but slightly less good than the '18+ Mustang unit. Might be a better all-rounder?

Reactions: A7X

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
those engines are so expensive/labor intensive to cam... for the money to get it done and tuned you could on3 twin turbo the coyote
While true, that has no bearing on the conversation being had, which is about NA build.