Sponsored

'16 Mustang GT PP vs. '12 E92 M3 Competition Pack

MustangGT16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT PP
Hey everyone,

Recently test drove an e92 M3, wanted to share my thoughts and hear from people who might have more experience with the car.

Just a quick overview of the M3, as compared to my GT Premium PP:

Engine: The best way to describe it is that the M3 motor felt "lighter". It revved more quickly, but of course, felt significantly less torque-y than the GT. The sensation of torque is considerably greater with the Coyote motor, all over the rev range. The M3 got up to speed once you revved it out. In terms of straight line performance, I think the GT would probably be more fun due to the extra 100lb-ft of torque over the M3.

Transmission: Test drove the DCT, so can't compare to the MT82. What I did notice was that it was slower than I expected to be, even after a couple tweaks with the transmission settings. Maybe a few more tweaks would have made it better. There was a moment or two where it seemed to be just slightly awkward when starting from a stop, but it is a DCT.

Handling: Along with the motor, this is really where I felt the biggest difference between the two. The M3, as compared to the GT with its long hood, felt considerably smaller. The M3 body felt way more rigid and tight as compared to the GT. The M3 does not ride as well over bumps as the GT does, even with the adjustable suspension. But the additional stiffness in the suspension really makes the M3 feel more sporty and more composed around corners. I've noticed that the GT PP, especially the front end, has a tendency to get really bouncy when driving spiritedly. The GT can start to feel "overwhelmed" during spirited driving.The M3 feels like you're driving a solid block of metal in comparison(in terms of rigidity, not weight). I think part of this feeling comes from the heavier, tighter steering feel. The GT's steering can feel a little loose in comparison, even in Sport steering mode, and there's a bit of a dead spot in the middle.

Brakes: The GT PP Brembo brakes do feel amazing. They bite hard, right when you get on the pedal, very confidence inspiring. The E92 M3 comes with single piston brakes, but they actually worked better than I thought they would. According to Motor Trend the GT PP stops from 60-0 in 107-110ft(depending on which test you watch/read) and the E92 stops in 110ft.

Sound: Sounds alot different than the GT, really comes down to taste. Sounds more towards the "exotic" side than the GT does. Much more of a raspier sound, not as throaty as the Mustang's muscle car sound. There's a good video on YouTube that compares the two with aftermarket exhausts(BMW OEM Exhaust mod vs. FRPP Borla).

Looks: Again, this is subjective. I think the M3 is a good looking car in its own, subtle way.(it is starting to look a bit old, especially the headlights). I love how the S550 looks. Definitely more eye-catching than the M3.

Interior: I really liked the seats in the M3, they were bolstered a bit better than the standard seats in the GT. I really like the seats in the GT as well(especially with their Heating/cooling features), but what I find is that the foam in the bolsters itself is a bit soft compared to some other "sporty" cars I've driven. I also liked the M3 steering wheel more, it was smaller, featured nice 9 and 3 grips, and was a beef-ier wheel. As for the overall interior quality, I didn't really get to take full note of it. What I can say is that, of course, the GT interior looks "newer"/flashier than the M3. I think the (2009 and forward) iDrive works fine. Sync 3 in the GT might be the best infotainment system I've ever used. I dislike the double-hump design on the M3. I love the way the screen is integrated in the GT, the overall layout is well done.

Features/tech: Since the GT is newer, it comes standard with a reverse camera, and optional reverse sensors, blind spot monitoring/cross traffic alert, and adaptive cruise control. Many of these features are not even available on the M3. Of course, they're not absolutely necessary, but they sure do make daily driving significantly easier. The BLIS system and the reverse camera are the features I use the most, and they are so helpful on a day-to-day basis. The availability of new tech is definitely a big plus for the GT.

Practicality: Did not get to check out the rear seats or the trunk, but I'm guessing that the GT is going to have more room in both due to its larger size.

Overall: As their names might imply, the GT PP is better at being a grand touring car. Comfortable, fast, new tech, and a decent amount of room on the inside. The M3 feels alot sportier, may not be quite as fast in a straight line as the GT(especially if both have a manual), but handles better. The final thing that I can say is that when I walked up to the M3 and sat inside, I had a feeling that it was going to be a special car. It might just be a mental thing, considering the prestige/respect that the M subdivision has attained over the years. As far as owning both goes, the GT is by far the easier car to own and maintain, especially if you get a maintenance and service plan from Ford. As far as what I've heard, out-of-warranty M3's are just going to cost a lot of money to maintain, and the rod-bearing issue is just another thing to worry about. You can get an extended warranty from BMW, but I'm not sure if there are any restrictions on purchasing them after a certain mileage.

What are your thoughts? Anyone who owned an E92 M3 and switched over to the S550 Mustang?

Sidenote: What are your suggestions in terms of suspension mods for the GT PP, especially to get rid of that bounciness?

[ Also, check out my YouTube channel, where I'll film car reviews, ownership experiences with my GTPP, and other automotive content! I have a review up of my GT PP already. Thank you! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2okvKzAyBL1eXjbbCcw9Lw ]
Sponsored

Last edited:

GuardDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gaurd GTPP
To get rid of the bounciness go get some koni yellow shocks =$400.

Gryphon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
As a former E90 M3 guy (manual four-door), I wholeheartedly concur with your findings.

The engine of the M3 revs higher and reacts faster, but has lots less torque and doesn't feel as 'punchy'.

The M3 feels smaller, lighter and faster, and the steering rack and suspension communicate with you in a totally different fashion. Night and day.

Mustang has significantly better brakes.

So, overall, a good review from my perspective having had both cars :)
Sponsored