Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Yes it was the last before deciding to switch to twins. A motor like this prob should be fresher up after every season. I will be the first to tell you it’s hard on parts and is only as good as the weakest part, because when you push them this hard, they will break. Stay on top of maintenance. It is key.
What does your motor refresh consist of? What gets replaced exactly? How many passes are you making a season to require yearly refresh? Just trying to make sense of things. Your power level sounds too costly, cost prohibitive to maintain. If the engine is rated for certain power, why would it need that much of a constant refresh?

Also, how do you like you stand alone ECU compared to stock ECU?

I've always been a fan of this car

Last edited:
OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange PP
What does your motor refresh consist of? What gets replaced exactly? How many passes are you making a season to require yearly refresh? Just trying to make sense of things. Your power level sounds too costly, cost prohibitive to maintain. If the engine is rated for certain power, why would it need that much of a constant refresh?

Also, how do you like you stand alone ECU compared to stock ECU?

I've always been a fan of this car
All good questions. To be honest I dont keep track of passes to refresh. I do it whenever the oportunity allows in the off season about November. Maintenance is anything from bearings and rings. They do a complete teardown and check everything out. You are correct, it isn't cheap at that HP level. There are a lot of things that people don't tell you that you find yourself having to improve upon.

This last season I broke the sleeve in the #6 cylinder. Come to find out there were several factors that caused that and I don't want to get into all that. Long story short, I made a decision to change from a PD blower to turbo's. TKM resleeved the Bear Block and machined it correctly for the sleeves (as it was off from Bear). This also wasn't cheap. Justin, Mike and Eric Holliday (who tunes the car) of JPC Racing had been working with me and wanted me to go with turbo/turbo's and shoot for some BIG power. They have some of the fastest mustangs in the country. They built me a new combo, changing a lot of the combination. New custom CP pistons, the rods are Callies Ultra billet rods, the previous 3.8 stroked billet Winberg crank, RGR timing chain kits, MHS custom TBX turbo cams and so much more. None of this is cheap either! LOL

The aftermarke ECU- AEM is amazing! This allowed us to control the power of the PD blower hit and make it down the track. I believe this is a huge part of the build and will be even more crucial for the next combo. I love it.

I have a Frankestien Billet intake, 2600lb injectors and two Precision Turbos 72/75's with billet wheels and ball bearings. The TH400 was freshened up and some new billet parts and dump valves so if we want to spool those turbos extremely quick or use them to assist in getting down the track.

I know this is a little more indepth than you probably wanted, but I did this let people know more about the build and what it takes at the 1500whp and now shooting for 1800-2000hp level. It isn't for the faint of heart. It is extremely expensive! The money is just the tip of the iceburg. The time I put into the build, labor and the planning, people will never see. I have a lot of good people that help me also. Friends like @80FoxCoupe that spend days in the garage.

I also have businsess that support and help, without a good Team, this would not happen.

Last edited:

Sponsored

80FoxCoupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT, 80 Fox
All good questions. To be honest I dont keep track of passes to refresh. I do it whenever the oportunity allows in the off season about November. Maintenance is anything from bearings and rings. They do a complete teardown and check everything out. You are correct, it isn't cheap at that HP level. There are a lot of things that people don't tell you that you find yourself having to improve upon.

This last season I broke the sleeve in the #6 cylinder. Come to find out there were several factors that caused that and I don't want to get into all that. Long story short, I made a decision to change from a PD blower to turbo's. TKM resleeved the Bear Block and machined it correctly for the sleeves (as it was off from Bear). This also wasn't cheap. Justin, Mike and Eric Holliday (who tunes the car) had been working with me and wanted me to go with turbo/turbo's and shoot for some BIG power. They have some of the fastest mustangs in the country. They built me a new combo, changing a lot of the combination. New custom CP pistons, the rods are Callies Ultra billet rods, the previous 3.8 stroked billet Winberg crank, RGR timing chain kits, MHS custom TBX turbo cams and so much more. None of this is cheap either! LOL

The aftermarke ECU- AEM is amazing! This allowed us to control the power of the PD blower hit and make it down the track. I believe this is a huge part of the build and will be even more crucial for the next combo. I love it.

I have a Frankestien Billet intake, 2600lb injectors and two Precision Turbos 72/75's with billet wheels and ball bearings. The TH400 was freshened up and some new billet parts and dump valves so if we want to spool those turbos extremely quick or use them to assist in getting down the track.

I know this is a little more indepth than you probably wanted, but I did this let people know more about the build and what it takes at the 1500whp and not shooting for 1800-2000hp level. It isn't for the faint of heart. It is extremely expensive! The money is just the tip of the iceburg. The time I put into the build, labor and the planning, people will never see. I have a lot of good people that help me also. Friends like @80FoxCoupe that spend days in the garage.

I also have businsess that support and help, without a good Team, this would not happen.
That pretty much sums it up. Don't forget that badass JPC spec, ProTorque converter!

For the most part tho, you always been able to manage everything yourself. There are some that have the luxury of having a shop manage the car, end to end. That just isn't us. If I had the cheddar to do that I would. Fly in, make hits and fly out. Shop, have it ready for me again next time!

We are very lucky to have alot of support. Friends, engine shop, transmission shop, fabrication, dyno, parts etc at our fingertips. Just need more money LOL.

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another thing you don't get is the quality of work and the fit and finish of the car. I have taken 3rd at Calvalcade of Customs. I will attach a more indepth video here of a complete walk around of RoadCone and more details of the previous build for those who wish to view. I'm not a professional YouTuber, so please bare with me lol

nnnnnn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium

This last season I broke the sleeve in the #6 cylinder. Come to find out there were several factors that caused that and I don't want to get into all that. Long story short, I made a decision to change from a PD blower to turbo's. TKM resleeved the Bear Block and machined it correctly for the sleeves (as it was off from Bear). This also wasn't cheap. Justin, Mike and Eric Holliday (who tunes the car) of JPC Racing had been working with me and wanted me to go with turbo/turbo's and shoot for some BIG power. They have some of the fastest mustangs in the country. They built me a new combo, changing a lot of the combination. New custom CP pistons, the rods are Callies Ultra billet rods, the previous 3.8 stroked billet Winberg crank, RGR timing chain kits, MHS custom TBX turbo cams and so much more. None of this is cheap either! LOL

I know this is a little more indepth than you probably wanted, but I did this let people know more about the build and what it takes at the 1500whp and now shooting for 1800-2000hp level. It isn't for the faint of heart. It is extremely expensive! The money is just the tip of the iceburg. The time I put into the build, labor and the planning, people will never see. I have a lot of good people that help me also. Friends like @80FoxCoupe that spend days in the garage.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I can somewhat relate but I am not even remotely on your power level. I remember sitting down one time, adding up parts cost and labor costs that I had spent and I realized that I could have picked up another brand new latest premium GT with extra money in my pocket and the worst part was that I didn't have the car back at the time. I was very frustrated with the whole build process, you have to plan things very well, I've always believed that the chasis and suspension setup/build should dictate the power level to a large extent so I tried to focus on that. It's not easy. So when you mentioned needing engine refreshes, my mind was a little blown, because I can't imagine frequently having to do that and I was curious the data you were basing that decision on. Props to you. You're also in a unique situation where you're your own experiment, you're doing things no one has done before so your car is the R and D, can't save money on mistakes by seeing what has worked and hasn't.

Fantastic car!!!

OP
OP
RoadCone

RoadCone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the detailed answer. I can somewhat relate but I am not even remotely on your power level. I remember sitting down one time, adding up parts cost and labor costs that I had spent and I realized that I could have picked up another brand new latest premium GT with extra money in my pocket and the worst part was that I didn't have the car back at the time. I was very frustrated with the whole build process, you have to plan things very well, I've always believed that the chasis and suspension setup/build should dictate the power level to a large extent so I tried to focus on that. It's not easy. So when you mentioned needing engine refreshes, my mind was a little blown, because I can't imagine frequently having to do that and I was curious the data you were basing that decision on. Props to you. You're also in a unique situation where you're your own experiment, you're doing things no one has done before so your car is the R and D, can't save money on mistakes by seeing what has worked and hasn't.

Fantastic car!!!

It's not the data I base it off of usually. It's preventive maintenance, because if something breaks, it will usually take a lot of other things with it and the cost is way more at that point. Now their are signs that you need to watch out for that will let you know its time, such as using water, head gaskets seeping and pressurizing things more than normal.

Yes I have been a part of R&D with companies. That can be rewarding and sometimes costly.